Cooking, Crabbing and Creative corners

The School holidays are a peculiar thing. On the one hand, the days stretch out long and wide without the constant headless-chickening of school runs, clubs and evening meetings. On the other, the days roll into one, like a summer snowball of cooking, cleaning, clutter-clearing and desperate de-screening*. 

Usually, the only time it is peaceful in my household is 6am. And even then, the bunny insists on stamping his little foot the moment I sit at the breakfast table, asking to be let out. I have to prise the dog out of his crate so I can move it to create a barrier between the dining room and lounge, so said bunny can’t get behind the TV and chew the cables when I open up (nope, I didn’t read that chapter of the ‘open-plan living' manual.)


Then – a break in the norm – I get to go to the beach for a few days. Cue lazy days cousining**, crabbing, eating chips and finding creative corners.


Let me explain the latter. Instead of barmy bunnies, I have screechy seagulls; even so, there’s something deliciously peaceful about sitting on a balcony at 7am (yes, I gave myself a little lie-in) watching a horizonless sea and sky with a Bible and journal in hand. See my view, below.




If the kids get roudy (downside of the lie-in), I pull shut the patio doors, or go for a walk along the sands seeing just a few seagulls and the odd over-eager dog walker. I’m not a big fan of sand between my toes, but something about the sea sparks the craving for eternity, doesn’t it? Something about the endlessness of it all ignites the imagination.


Some might call them sacred spaces, those places where heaven feels a little closer, like the place Jacob called the 'gate of heaven' (Genesis 28:16-17). Yet for me, they are also creative corners, because my writing flows out of my relationship with God. 


In these creative corners of my day, whether stationary or moving, conversation flows between me and my Lord and poems often rise to the lips as easily as prayers. When I start the day with God, he provides what I need to write the rest of it. Later, I might get 15 minutes at the laptop, or I might get an hour or two, but my primary objective is straightened out. I write to honour my Saviour. 


Finding creative corners can be difficult when life is chaotic. Yet these precious moments are what keep us going, are what define the difference between existing and living. We are spiritual beings and we need to nurture our souls. We are creative beings and, if our mouths speak what our hearts are full of (Luke 6:45), let’s do our utmost to make sure our hearts are full of moments like these. 


Have a wonderful summer. 


*A process by which one attempts to persuade the children that it is possible to do something that doesn’t involve a screen. It invariably fails. They are constantly “bored”.

**The practice of catching up with cousins.



    Natasha Woodcraft lives in Cambridgeshire with her husband, 4 sons, a spotty dog, an evil bunny and some much maligned fish. She believes stories have power to communicate deep truth and transform lives. Her published novels, The Wanderer Scorned & The Wanderer Reborn, explore God’s redemptive purposes for messy people by reimagining the tale of Cain & Abel. Also a songwriter, Natasha peppers her emotional prose with poetry and song.

Comments

  1. Just perfect! A lovely read before I face the business of a Sunday. Hoping for my moment of rest later, my creative corner. Ready to write, wanting Him to be in it. And it made me giggle too... bunny shenanigans!Thanks Natasha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. Hope you get some time! The bunny really is a terror :-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely post, Natasha! Thanks for sharing some of how you spend your time during hols with family, writing and God! Happy Summer too. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophia. It's a mad house but we love it :-)

      Delete
  3. I know that place of grabbing 15 minutes of writing here and there. Isn't it amazing though how much we can achieve by doing this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, though I do much prefer to have a good couple of hours :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh dear! You have reawakened my longing to live within a stone's throw of the sea. I very much liked the phrase 'creative corners'. I find sometimes they come and find you rather than the other way round, unplanned moments, but I'm with you on the 6am quietness as well - and I don't have a ravenous rabbit to interrupt my first cup of tea. Very enjoyable post to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, John. I agree totally, the spontaneous corners are usually the best. But if we don't plan anything, it doesn't usually happen does it? Life runs away so quickly.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic Natasha, a great reminder to start each day with God and commit our writing to him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I chuckled several times reading this - the bunny deserves its own blog I'd say. And I love cousining. Done a lot of that with my three over the years. Lovely blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment