The Art of Editing (Part Two) - Keeping to a word count by Jane Walters

In Part One last month, I emphasised that ALL WRITING NEEDS EDITING – even our best efforts! But editing needn’t be a horror-fest. It’s a skill we can learn and develop, with encouragement and practical steps.

Today I’m addressing short pieces, such as blogs or articles. How do we keep to a word-count? Understand that it matters hugely that we do! If you are working to a commission – perhaps something for a magazine – the publishers have designated space for your piece. They can’t fit in your extra (beautiful!) 150 words. And even if there’s space, say in a blog, readers have finite time they want to spend reading. If it looks too long, they might not even bother starting.

So, how do we stay trim, words-wise?

The most important thing is that you start writing in your usual way, getting the ideas out of your head and onto the page. Don’t even think about editing yet. That’s for when you’ve got some words to play with, remember? For now, just enjoy the bit that’s fun: the writing.

Typically, when I’ve finished, I can have up to 600 words for a 450 limit. Some of this lovely output has to go. Here’s what I do:

1. Look again at the first sentences. I’ve usually taken up 50-100 words getting my thoughts together, like, As I sat at my keyboard today, I wondered what might be of the greatest encouragement to the readers. After all, most of us…blah, blah, blah. That was for my benefit. Now I’ve written the thing, it can go. I typically cut the first sentence/first paragraph and have even culled the entire first chapter of a novel.

2. Read it out loud, or have someone read to you. You will hear where the word flow is poor, or it’s got bogged down. Go with your instinct: if it sound off, it needs changing or cutting out completely.

3. I’m amazed how much can be taken out yet the meaning remains clear. Don’t be afraid to be ruthless.

4. Be self-aware. I know I tend towards the formal/academic if I’m not careful. Here’s my first outing: ‘how do we keep our writing within a prescribed word count?’ It quickly became: ‘how do we keep to a word count?’ Three words gone, and it sounds better, to boot.

5. Don’t repeat what you’ve already clearly stated. It’s lack of confidence that makes you want to explain yourself. Choose stronger words. Assume your readers are following!

6. Treat it as a game! Watch that number come down at the bottom of the screen!

PS It took ages to get this down to below 450: but I did it… have a try!


Jane Walters is Chair of ACW and leads the affiliated group Green Pastures Christian Writers.

She is currently developing a small-group course for her church.

www.janewyattwalters.com

Insta: @readywritersretreats

X: @realjanewalters

Comments

  1. Lovely post! God bless you, Jane! There's lot f encouragement and advice . I love the thought of writing our thoughts for the fun of writing and still finding fun trying to cut down! Lovely. Practised that here! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice Jane. I had to reduce the word count on a short story to match the criteria for a competition. A lot of cutting was needed but I think it ended up a better piece. It was interesting to discover how many of my words weren't needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing, isn't it? A kind of magic, in its loveliest connotation!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for these tips Jane, very helpful for someone who isn't naturally drawn to the edition part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes time to get into it, but following a few tips is a good start.

      Delete

Post a Comment