Imagine That!

 


I saw the discarded bag in the park. It lay on its side, empty apart from a water bottle.

I recognised the bag’s logo: ‘Deliveroo’. I’ve never seen a Deliveroo bag out and about without a delivery driver before. 

Where was the driver?

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a trainer-clad foot sticking out from behind a tree. I hurried over to offer assistance, and – oh hang on, no, that’s not what happened.

Let me pick up the story again: Where was the driver?

I looked around and, at the bottom of the hill, saw a group of people hurrying away, glancing furtively over their shoulders. They must have kidnapped the driver. I pulled out my phone to call 999, and – oh hang on, no, that’s not what happened.

Where was the driver?

I took a closer look at the bottle inside the otherwise empty bag. Was it a clue? What could it mean? Perhaps the driver had managed to scrawl a note as he was dragged away, and stuff the note in the bottle, hoping that someone would find it. And I’d found it! I reached into the bag to retrieve the note from the bottle, and – oh hang on, no, that’s not what happened.

Where was the driver?

I looked around, couldn’t see anyone, took a few photos, and posted them on this blog.

I’ll leave you to guess which of the above scenarios is most factual, but they (or similar) flashed through my mind the instant I spotted the bag.

The plot thickened the next day, by the way. Someone had moved but not removed the bag....

 

Perhaps I should use the pictures as a writing prompt in a workshop.

The possibilities are endless.

Feel free to add your own below!


A ten-year-old girl told me she wanted to be a writer, and asked what she should do?

I suggested she write a story about something she saw on her way home from school. Anything at all. A dog, a car, a tree.

Even a Deliveroo bag.

Writing prompts are all around us.

 


Imagination is the power of the mind over the possibilities of things. 

– Wallace Stevens

Comments

  1. Thank you Emily, I enjoyed your post, its so true how so many everyday things spark our imagination and cause us to fill in the blanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, everyday things are rich indeed! ~Emily

      Delete
  2. Lovely post Emily! Thanks for creating that scenario from a writing prompt of a bag! I believe writers have the most creative imaginations of all humans God created! Continuing your story with a dark edge:
    As I fumbled for a clue in the bag, I suddenly felt someone behind me. As I turned round to explain, something was sprayed to my face by the young woman I saw. I felt myself losing all sense of consciousness...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sophia. I like your addition. The plot is definitely thickening! ~Emily

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this Emily. It immediately made me start thinking of scenarios and it's a great reminder that inspiration is all around us. As for who moved the bag... my mind quickly turned to foxes but I'll never know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David. I hadn’t thought of foxes! But now I’m wondering if it was a fox who didn’t want to get dinner for their children that night, so had a takeaway instead…

      Delete
  4. Loved that Emily! really got me thinking! And smiling!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment