Christian writers – God’s smugglers?

Yes, I am starting with a question, and borrowing a title from Brother Andrew’s excellent book God’s Smuggler (60th Anniversary - first published in 1964). The reason for asking this question is to scratch an itch, or at least relieve an inner uncomfortableness…with your help. 


And I wonder if this itch is present in other ACW members?

In the social context of the 2020s, how can we smuggle moral, spiritual, and supernatural elements of the Christian faith into genres that are not explicitly theological or devotional?

Three authors from the past who have attempted to do so are Charlotte Bronte (Jane Eyre) 1847, Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Crime and Punishment) 1866, and CS Lewis (The Chronicles of Narnia) 1950-1956.

How subversive were these literary works to the age in which they were published? Alternately, how much were they a product of their time? How much did they challenge superficial Christianity, creeping humanism, materialism, and the paganism of their day? 

CS Lewis was a well-known Christian broadcaster who had written explicitly Christian literature such as Mere Christianity (1952) – one of the books that, much later, demolished my free-wheeling agnosticism. He also wrote The Chronicles of Narnia to reach a wider audience, accepting the risk that many would enjoy the books without ever rumbling Aslan’s true identity. 

Dostoyevsky’s Crime and Punishment ends with such a beautifully written appeal to the Christian faith that, to our modern sensibilities, suddenly and rather awkwardly, shifts the genre from novel to tract.

Bronte’s Jane Eyre is a matrix of themes: romantic fiction, gothic horror, female liberation, and the relationship between the rational and supernatural. And yet, Jane Eyre emerges with her Christian faith intact. Therefore the novel is ‘evangelistic’ - even if to modern readers this element can be ignored or rendered irrelevant to our age. 

I am attempting to smuggle Christ into the story without it feeling...artificial

In an era when less than 5% of the UK population regularly attend church compared with approximately 50% in 1950 and nearly 60% in 1850, how can we, as Christian writers, and in our writing permeate our society as Christ has permeated us? 

Thus far, I have written one non-fiction book, tackling the subject of Israel from a theological perspective, aimed at a Christian audience, and am currently writing a historical fiction in which I am attempting to smuggle Christ into the story without it feeling clunky, artificial, or preachy.

I would welcome anyone’s reflections on how to be a subversive, spiritual smuggler in our secular age, and how to communicate the gospel in 2024, in fiction.











Comments

  1. Good question! I do enjoy overtly Christian books, so it would be smuggling in broad daylight, I suppose. My Burrowed book is a lot more subtle, and I suppose it just happens as life happens to our poor, unsuspecting characters, who then have to come to terms with their ideology. Looking forward to seeing how you get on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds intriguing and true to life. Hope it sells like hotcakes!

      Delete
  2. Kathryn Scherer7 June 2024 at 09:33

    I agree it's a challenge. I have a Christian main character, and struggle to know how much she can genuinely reflect on her faith without it seeming OTT to non-Christian readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a challenge. Perhaps a tad easier in historical fiction especially if set in a more religious age.

      Delete
  3. I'd been writing overtly Christian non-fiction and fiction for a while until a coach trip a year ago when I met some lovely non-Christian readers and felt a strong push to write fiction for them that smuggled Christ in: thin end of the wedge evangelism. Loose Ends (under my pen name Dorothy Stewart) is crime fiction with a Christian main character, first in a series where I plan to let readers see how her faith develops through the various challenges, without hopefully being preachy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a similar challenge though my two 'Christians' are not main characters. One, the son of a Huguenot, finds faith, whilst the other, a Catholic, has a genuine faith - both influence the main character who's not particularly antagonistic. A developing sub-plot.

      Delete
  4. Interesting question John. I'm not mad keen on 'Christian fiction' as a genre because as far as I can see it rarely finds a market outside Christian circles, not in the UK anyway. My WIP is (loosely) a crime novel - people get murdered - but the main character is searching for true meaning in life and battling through the challenges of his circumstances to find faith, as many of us do. The lives of real people are messy, nasty and unpleasant. Some readers might pick up the thread of faith throughout the book, others might not but hopefully it won't be pegged as 'Christian fiction' and therefore sidelined from the start. My current draft contains 'earthy' language that I know many Christians will find unacceptable but my decision at the moment is to include it because I don't want the dialogue to be twee and unrealistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, searching for that elusive non-Christian market with writing that includes Christian content is an elusive business. All the best with your attempt!

      Delete
  5. Lovely post, John, thanks. Your question is a Yes - No Question. I will say Yes, we smuggle elements of the Christian faith such as hope, deliverance, the good news, etc in to our different genres. Let those who have eyes read![ As our Lord might have said!] Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came across a paper earlier this week on a similar theme, which may be of interest: https://digitalcommons.liberty.edu/masters/621/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica Bright8 June 2024 at 21:26

      I liked your challenge, to sneak God into a book and some probably wouldn't notice. It's quite difficult to sneak the presence of God into conversation too, almost without anyone noticing, and yet enough for a seed to be planted. It's quite a challenge, and be warned, it can become a habit. A habit you will never regret.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Veronica...indeed I would not have become a Christian had not a God smuggled a believer into the pub when I swore 'Christ!' after spilling my beer. She asked my why I had said 'Christ'...that started a long long series of debates before I capitulated. Let's keep on smuggling!

      Delete

Post a Comment