Capturing my reading

 

My first ever log book


What happens when you finish a book? Do you instantly start the next one, or do you spend some time thinking about what you've read and the impact it had on you? 

What I do, or at least try to do, is to capture my thoughts in my reading log book. I received it as a present on my fiftieth birthday, and I love it. To be honest I'm surprised I've not had anything like this sooner. 

The blurb on the back captures what it does perfectly: The perfect pocket-sized reading record and wish list for the ever-growing mountain of books that you have read, or still need to read.

Yes, like many of you, I have a long TBR - to be read - list, which thankfully isn't in physical books otherwise it would probably topple over and crush me. 

Writers are often told that we need to read, a lot, This is because it enables us to distinguish between good and bad writing, and also to expand our knowledge and skills. Not that I've ever needed encouragement to pick up a book. I want to share with you the first five books that I've added to my log, both to give you an insight into what I've been reading and maybe add to your TBR too!

Warning of plot-spoilers ahead


1. Troubled Blood 

Author: Robert Galbraith

Genre: Crime 

Started reading this mammoth - 927 pages - book after watching an episode of the TV dramatization on the plane from NZ.. Began at Christmas. Found it moving, chilling and eye-raising. You find yourself caring about Robin and Strike, especially when you find out about Strike's childhood. A heart-warming ending. And the TV version Oh My Word! Five stars

2. The Woman At 1000 Degrees 

Author: Hallgrímur Helgason

Genre: Historical fiction, odd 

One of the weirdest books I've ever read. I like dark humour, but this was on another level. Would have stopped reading if it wasn't a book group choice. It was weird and strange. Mainly set in Iceland and told by an 80 year old woman planning her own cremation , it involved, Nazis, rape, puberty, toilets, and a hand grenade giving to her by her father. Understandably I skimmed though lots of it. Next time, I'll make sure I read a sample of the book first before going on the title or blurb alone. One star

3. Cloud Cuckoo Land

Author: Anthony Doerr

Genre: Sci-fi, historical fiction

What an amazing book, and what a twist! When I found out that the space-ship had never left Earth, whoa! Also, Seymore's owls revealing the truth behind the false imagery, Omeir's love for his animals, Arron and Zeno protecting the kids, and Seymore making the books for them - not to mention how well it fits with our current times. A heart-warming and unforgettable book. Five stars

4. All You Ever Wanted

Author: Susan Elliot Wright

Genre Thriller

Oh my word, what an ending! Breathless! 

As someone whose been adopted, I could certainly identify with the main character, and though I felt sorry for Anna, there's no excuse for her actions. The ways that Anna plays with Emily's mind are all so plausible and as for Emily's husband, well, to say that he's a git is putting it kindly. Five stars

5. The Flight Of Cornelia Blackwood

Author Thriller

Another tremendous book from Susan. 

With lots of little hooks my attention was caught, wanting to find out what Cornelia has done, and by the last 100 pages, I couldn't put it down! Poor Leah, her life could have been so different. The book group questions at the ending really help you to process the book as well as Susan sharing about her research and reasons behind writing it. A tragic yet brilliant novel. Five stars

So, there you go. The first five books from my log - apologies again for the plot-spoilers, I did want to share exactly what I wrote in my reviews. I like the fact it's a mixture of genre's, which is always good for a writer to read all kinds of different work. 

I'd love to hear if you keep a log and any reviews you've written. Do please let me know in the comments or Facebook. 

Martin is a writer, baker, photographer and storyteller. He's been published in the ACW Christmas anthology, Lent devotional and three Flash fiction anthologies. You can find him on Twitter here.


Comments

  1. Lovely post, Martin. Thanks! What a lovely gift that was. I love the humour in your writing and that you read a variety of genres. I'm a bit selective. I am intrigued by 'A woman of 1000 degrees'. Why is it odd, strange and weird? Is this in the sense that it is off your league of preferred genres or the story was not realistic to life? Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sophia, that's very kind of you. I feel it was certainly realistic for the time it was set, but it was far too detailed, and also rather grim at times. Try a sample on kindle and see what you think? Yep, I'll try pretty much anything, but I'm not very keen on literature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't keep a log but I do write reviews of significant books on my website/blog and FB which, as you say, forces me to hesitate and reflect on some of the books I read. What, perhaps, I should add to the Log Book is a character list book - how many times do I lose track of who's who!! But to your main point, that's a good reminder to fight back against the consumer culture we're steeped in. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicola Wilkinson14 June 2024 at 12:38

    I agree! Just had 2 suggestions. The Mandibles and a gentleman from Moscow. I want to extract what makes good writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment