When was your first time? By Olusola Sophia Anyanwu

 

Yes! There’s always a first time for everything under the sun in God's watch! This is my first experience of interviewing an author!! Enjoy below!

Hi Emily!   I’m delighted and excited to interview you. Thanks again for your time. Have your cup of tea and hoping it doesn’t run cold before the end.
 

Thank you! My pleasure. It’s a privilege that you asked me to do this. 

Okay, let’s start!


Your Favourite Things:
 
1.What’s your favourite movie?
I'm not a movie buff! The most recent I've seen is Robot Dreams, an animated movie, which I thought really well done.
I'm a fan of Mary Poppins, largely because I watch it with my niece.
I like The Theory of Everything
As I say; 
I'm not hugely into movies.
 
2. What’s your favourite hot drink?
A cup of tea. I 
didn't even have to think about that one. Tea is my petrol!
It's lovely that you suggested I get a cup of tea before we started – thank you :-)
I agree with C.S. Lewis: ‘You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me’.
 
3. What’s your favourite hobby or leisure?
I like reading. I like watching clouds. I like spending time with friends. I like conversation. I like thinking. I like browsing cards in card shops. I like teapots that 
don’t drip. I like autumn colours...
 
4.Who’s your favourite African author?
This question challenges me, as it makes me 
realise I have not read many African authors. Sorry. I need to rectify that.

5. Where’s your favourite holiday destination?
Scotland! I  love Scotland, closely followed by Yorkshire. Or most places in the U.K. 
I’m not a jetsetter.
 
Your Writing Life:
 
6.What would you like to do better in your writing?
These days, marketing is a part of writing. 
I’d like to be better at marketing.
 
7. Have you tried different genres of writing?
I have written devotional, picture book (someone else did the pictures!), and - most recently - children's fiction.
 
8. What future goals do you have for your writing?
I hope writing continues to excite me. When I write, and discover new insights into a verse, or a way of illustrating a point, or a turn of phrase, it excites me, and I never want to lose that.
 
9. What logo, name or idea do people identify your writing with?
don't know. Perhaps finding hope when life is hard. A logo might be a rainbow, as for me – as I write in Still Emily – seeing rainbows in the rain of life is important. Finding joy.

10. Do you write poetry?
Some of my books do include meditations, which I guess are poetry, so yes, I do.
 

Your Social Media:
 
11. ‘Whatever you feed grows.’ How do you grow your readers and followers?
Followers: To be honest, 
I'm not sure I do. If people choose to follow me, of course I'm delighted, but I can't claim to have 'grown them in'.
Readers: Often if I speak somewhere, there will be interest in my books.
 
12. Which social media platform do you mostly engage in?
Probably Facebook. I am on Instagram and Twitter/X, and do post on all three platforms fairly regularly-ish!
 
13. Do you have a website?
I do. www.emily-owen.com
 
14.Do you engage with You tube for your writing?
No. And I 
probably shouldMaybe I'll take your question as a nudge!

15. Which social media platform do you find challenging?
All of them!
 
Your Christian Life:
 
16.What does it mean to you to be a Christian writer?
I am a Christian who happens to write. For me, ‘Christian’ comes before ‘writer,’ always.
It means I get to share things God puts on my heart, which is a huge privilege. It means I never write alone; God is always there with me. He is a great writing 
buddy!

17. What would readers find in your books that reflect Christ?
Interesting question. They will find references to the Bible, which points to Christ. They would find things about my personal relationship with Him, and ways in which He draws close. Colossians 3v3: ‘Your life is hidden with Christ in God’ is a favourite, and a goal. In my writing, I often share my own story. If my own story becomes hidden and, through it, people see Christ, then what more could I hope for.
 
18. What scripture appeals to you the most?
I have lots of favourites (see above!). The one I will pick now is 'I know that my Redeemer lives', Job 19:25. I find it helpful and encouraging, particularly when life is hard, to focus on that ‘know’. I know that Jesus is alive and with me.
 
19. Do you think Christian writing should always be ‘clean’?
I think it depends on the context, and the aim of the book, and the audience. For example, I personally would prefer 'clean' writing for children. I think in books for an older readership, some reality in terms of 'clean' can help, particularly with themes of redemption. But it does need to be done sensitively, and I am not sure I would ever want to publish a book that contained bad language.
 
20. What Christian themes do you raise in your writing?
Body of Christ, Hope, Hope-in-Suffering, 'A friend who sticks closer than a brother', Hearing from God. Yes, I know the last might be a little ironic, since I am deaf, but thankfully hearing from God is not dependant on literal hearing.
 
 
Your Writing Career/ Achievement:

21.  I see that your ‘Still Emily’ written on 5th May 2016 has currently 441 reviews!!! Wow, that’s a great dream for many authors still counting in tens!! Can you share any tips to help other writers who would like their books to count in hundreds like yours?
I'm afraid I don't have tips. I've been very fortunate with Still Emily, my other books have nowhere near that many reviews. I think Still Emily appeals more broadly because it is my personal story, and - perhaps - because it is written in a cross-market way, so not overtly Christian (though my faith is in it, of course). One tip might be to ask people to leave a review. Worth a try.

22. Have you held a book launch before?
Yes, 
I've held a few, both in person and online.
With in person, the challenge can be 
actually getting people to come.
With online, the challenge can be encouraging attendees to buy books.

23. How many books have you written?
12

24. Have you ever won a local or external literary prize?
In 2018, I won the Association of Christian Writers Award for Outstanding Contribution to Christian Publishing

25.What in your opinion makes a writer successful?
 Belief in what you write. Feeling excited by what you write. Having someone say 'I read your book' is the icing on the cake - 
there's no feeling quite like it.
 
Author Questions:

26. What best helps you combine your health challenges with your writing?
Acknowledging that I need to work within my health challenges, not against them. For me, pushing myself to e.g. write X number of words a day is not only impossible, 
it’s detrimental to my health. As is then getting frustrated with my limitations - I have learned to (mostly!) accept, and do what I can, not what I can't.
A phrase God gave me once is 'with Me, there are no interruptions' and I find that 
really helpful, particularly when I suddenly need another surgery which will - to my way of thinking - interrupt things.

27. What author tools do you use in your writing like scrivener, Grammarly, AI Editor, etc?
don't. As may be seen from my Social Media efforts above, I am not a very technical person. Though I am pleased to say I have graduated from ink and quill, and do type my manuscripts.

28. Do you ever suffer from imposter syndrome?
No, not really. Although I was absolutely staggered to win the award I mention 
above, and did think the email must have been meant for someone else.

29. Do you have an unfinished or current work in progress?
I am currently working on a devotional book. 101 short readings on the theme of identity in God. Who we are in Christ is a theme 
very close to my heart. Throughout my health challenges, and the changes they bring about in me/my life, it is so important to remember that my true identity is rooted in Him.

30. Would you say your books are fetching you good money?
It 
depends what you mean by 'good'. I am able to buy the occasional pair of boots - I love boots, so to me that is 'good'! - But I won’t be living a millionaire’s lifestyle any time soon (or ever)!

​Thank you so much Emily! Lovely time. God bless you real good!

To see my review 'Still Emily' and who my next guest is, visit my blog on: https://bit.ly/3FiSVnY and my website on:  https://bit.ly/3isgPDc

http://www.olusolasophiaanyanwuauthor.com/chats-with-sophia/april-27th-2024


Comments

  1. A really enjoyable and interesting read with some great questions and answers. Thank you, Sophia, and thank you, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veronica Bright28 May 2024 at 17:18

    I agree wholeheartedly with Sarah. An excellent set of questions and very interesting answers. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous interview. Thank you Sophia and Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting questions and refreshingly honest answers. This gave me several things to think about. Thank you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! Thanks to both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely questions and great answers! Thank you so much, Sophia, you're such a blessing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what an amazing blog, considering it is your first time interviewing an author Sophia, and I love the questions you ask. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment