Reading blogs by Susan Sanderson

 Do you blog? Or do you know some bloggers?

When I began blogging back in 2012 I knew one blogger – our daughter*, who had blogged about her gap year. I didn’t realise that blogging was a form of social media. In March 2013, when I signed up for the Bloggingfrom A to Z in April Challenge for the first time, I realised that it was not only a challenge to write blog posts, but also to visit other people’s blogs and leave comments. Now I have met a good number of bloggers either in person or online.

Previews on More than Writers


One thing that has struck me during this year’s A to Z Challenge is that people, who have been blogging for a long time, don’t always seem to know how to find their way around other people’s blogs.

There are various ways people can organise their blogs or websites with a blog, but some things are common to all of them. Certainly on Blogger (like this MTW blog) and on WordPress, where my blogs are, all the blogs have a banner at the top, which is clickable. This either takes you to a list of the latest posts (Blogger) or to the latest posts (WordPress). Then there are buttons for older posts. On WordPress the latest posts are displayed together in a batch of three, or possibly a number chosen by the blogger. The comments for the individual posts are not displayed. To see these it is necessary to view one post at a time. Usually it is fairly obvious how to move backwards or forwards through a blog and how to comment.

How to find the way around my blog (in spite of a Navigation page, contents page, etc.) is not always obvious to readers. I have a lot of clutter in my sidebar, which is often longer than the post, so that the << and >> signs are out of sight until the reader scrolls right down. Comments are disguised as likes with a heart button.

There are various ways of following a blog. Often a pop-up appears asking the reader to subscribe. WordPress provides a Reader, where the URL of a blog may be entered to subscribe. (A URL looks like this: https://suestrifles.wordpress.com) There is a website called bloglovin’ where blogs may be followed. I signed up for it a few years ago and have some followers there. The anonymous ones are all called bloglover! I’m not sure how useful it is and when I tried to leave the site I didn’t manage to do so. It gives subscribers a preview of posts, as does the WordPress Reader.

Preview of two of my posts on Bloglovin'

I have to confess that I spend too much time reading blogs even though I do not click on every post, which appears in my Reader. Subscribing to one’s own blogs (which I haven’t done) gives a view of the ‘shop window’ you are creating. It is one way of seeing ourselves as others see us (well, our blogs anyhow!)

 

Colossians 3:23 (NRSV) Whatever your task, put yourselves into it, as done for the Lord and not for your masters.

* Anne-Marie Sanderson

Susan always wanted to be a writer.  In 2012 she revived her interest in writing with a blogging project to collect the kinds of sayings, which were much used in her childhood.



Susan experiments with factual writing, fiction, humour and poetry.  She does not yet have a book to her name. Her interests include words, languages, music, nature study and gardening  She has experience of the world of work, being a stay-at-home mum and an empty-nester.   She is active in her local community and Church. She and her husband live in Cumbria, where she co-ordinates Cumbria Christian Writers.

Follow her on X (ex Twitter) https://twitter.com/suesconsideredt

Comments

  1. Thanks Susan, I've been looking into ways to start a blog so this is really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to be of service, David. It was good to meet you at the weekend.

      Delete
  2. Great post, Susan! Thank you so much. I have realised how ignorant I am about so many blog issues. In fact, I am where you were in 2012/2013!! I feel there are many ' 2012 bloggers' like me and we would need a 1:1 or ACW blog talk to get us to the right level. My blog cries for help!! Could you do a part two of this next month or at some point to explain a lot of 'How to...' [Wordpress, Banner, Bloglovin, etc ?
    Thank you so much for creating this awareness and providing very useful and helpful information which I find quite illuminating. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found this useful, Sophia. I'll consider another post about blogging, but I am not one of the regular bloggers here. There is more information about what I have learned about blogging on my Sue's Trifles blog.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Susan! Will check. Blessings.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing! I enjoy blogging, and have organised them under a few topics on my website, so people can narrow down what they read. I should do it more often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done, Maressa. More people should use categories and tags, or labels, depending on their blogging platform.

      Delete

Post a Comment