Be like Jessie J: Forget about the price tag by Jane Walters

I had the topic for this month’s blog all planned out – even down to the photo – but the nearer it got to writing it, the more convinced I became that I should address something else instead. Why the big preamble (which is much bigger in my mind, I can tell you)? Well, because what I’m going to say might be contentious. I anticipate some reaction. Feel free to leave your comments below. Let’s get talking about money!

As a back-drop, for most of my life, I’ve had a very low income. I’m an expert in making things stretch, doing without, and all those other moves that are so essential in those seasons. I have increasingly come to realise, though, that a price tag has little to do with value. I recently visited Geneva and the prices were eye-watering: basic ‘straw’ sandals for £400, anyone? Equally, one of the most useful DIY products I ever found came as a pack of 4 for £1. Do you get the sub-text? What things cost is always a factor, but it doesn’t necessarily indicate worth.

A by-product of having little money was my inability to spend out on anything that might be considered selfish. I really don’t think I’m alone here. Those of us who have been single parents, for example, would well understand the instinct to prioritise our children’s needs over our own.

So, here’s the thing: when I was shown the leaflet that advertised a local Christian writing retreat, back in October 2013, I nearly didn’t go. Why? Because it cost money. Because I didn’t have that much to spare. Because it was something most people would consider non-essential. An indulgence. I wasn’t even a writer! And all those thoughts had a good old conversation among themselves in my head; but, thank God, I didn’t listen to them. If I had, I don’t think I would have started to write, then keep going. As it was – as some have heard me tell before – it was a week that utterly changed my life. I can’t remember how much I paid, but I know that whatever it was, it was utterly worth it.

If you get the chance to invest in your writing – whether that’s at an ACW event or retreat or course – try to take it. Investing in our writer selves is not poor stewardship. It was the making of me and could be for you, too.



Jane Walters is Chair of ACW.

ACW are hosting a number of events during 2024: for details click on Events | ACW - The Association of Christian Writers

Jane is speaking on June 15th - come along if you can!

www.janewyattwalters.com

Comments

  1. I so agree with this! I've been traditionally published with several books, but my husband encouraged me to take some inheritance money and self-publish my latest children's book. I'm so glad I did! It's opened lots of doors for me such as author events. This money was sitting in the bank ready for me to use, and I didn't want to do it because of my penny-pinching attitude. Probably I won't regroup my investment in hard cash. But that's not the main thing! www.donnavann.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brilliant, Donna. Recouping our financial outlay is not the main thing (although it would be lovely!). Well done on being brave and obedient to your calling.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post Jane and quite inspiring! Thank you. This advice from you about investing in our writing and career as writers is God confirming this for me. I have begun to invest in books that will boost my writing career. I believe I have been stingy.Your post makes me feel wise and not guilty. Thank you for sharing your experience as an example. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, definitely don't feel guilty. It's about looking at it differently, isn't it? I'm sure God will bless your investment in time as much as anything.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Jane. I can resonate with this post, it is often easy to convince ourselves that a course or weekend away is too much to spend, yet for me it is often when things happen as a catalyst to open up avenues for my creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it was so lovely to have met you at that Thornleigh retreat!

      Delete
  4. Veronica Bright13 May 2024 at 21:53

    Courses are usually amazingly good value, because if you pay your hard-earned money for them, you make sure you get the most out of them! There is always something new to learn, and ACW courses are particularly memorable because the people you meet are guaranteed to be friendly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I particularly valued meeting you at Scargill, Veronica!

      Delete
  5. I feel the same way about my Creative Writing MA. It was life changing - not just in the skills learned and the complete career change, but the confidence and joy it gave me. I never realised beforehand how much ongoing impact that investment would have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never can look ahead can we? That's why it feels such a risk, but the hindsight view is exhilerating!

      Delete
  6. Good advice, Jane. I almost didn't go to WOWIG for this reason, but putting together names and faces within ACW was super helpful over and above the great content. Looking forward to the Kingdom writer's re-treat in Wales next month which I've combined with visiting friends and family on the journeys there and back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't agree more with this Jane. I spent out for my first ever ACW day in Derby when I was still a freelance writer and money was tight (it still is, but there we go. No doubt God has a plan). I've never regretted it for a second. It was the start of so much for me and I wholeheartedly believe that we do need to invest in ourselves as writers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so encouraging, thank you! When I have managed to attend events, it's always given me such a boost as well as a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just being with other writers is so valuable, isn't it?

      Delete
  9. Natasha Woodcraft15 May 2024 at 11:51

    Amen!! I’ve also struggled with feeling it’s selfish to invest in myself, but I spend nowhere near as much on writing as a degree would cost. And we don’t baulk at that (or maybe we do!) Thanks for the reminder, Jane. Advertising is a similar thing: we hate spending money on it, but it really is essential.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment