Flash Fiction - Advantages to All Writers by Allison Symes

I adore flash fiction and believe writing it can benefit all writers. Why?  

The limited word count (1000 words maximum) means it can be a great writing exercise. You can polish and submit those pieces later.  


There are many flash fiction websites. You can build up publication credits this way. Could that be something useful to add to a query letter to a publisher/agent when you’re submitting longer works? I think so. 

It shows the publisher/agent someone else thought your work was of a publishable standard (and websites I write for reject stories. I’ve had work turned down. Funnily enough, that matters).

Flash fiction teaches you so much about editing.  All fear of stamping on adverbs will leave you, I promise.  The moment I see a “ly” word in my writing, I stomp on it. I have gone through this piece carefully to ensure I don’t leave any. Oops - almost!

Removing as many adverbs as I can has improved my pacing. I use, as an example in my workshops, the phrase Jean was actually very cold. Poor Jean. I would change that to Jean was freezing

Freezing is a specific, more powerful image. Specific images are easier for your readers to picture. They often reduce word count too. Note I’ve dumped the actually as well! 


Learning to write like this has fed into my blogs and online columns. No bad thing that. You develop good habits.


Flash fiction works best when character led so if your favourite part of storytelling is in inventing characters, this is a great form to try. It always has been my favourite aspect to fiction writing.

I love seeing what situations I can put my characters in and then to work out how they would get out or otherwise resolve their problems.


I also like being able to put my characters whenever and wherever I wish so I get to play with genres and settings. I’ve written historical flash, crime flash, fantasy flash and more. My only limitation? That upper word count restriction.

Learning to write to a tight word count will also help when preparing a synopsis. At least you will know you can write to the limited word count required. I would hope that takes some nerves away.

Flash fiction writing develops focus. All that goes into your story is all your readers need to know. Nothing more, nothing less. In crafting a flash piece, you are always thinking about what your reader needs. Doing that means you are less likely to go off at tangents. It can save a great deal of editing time later.


Flash fiction is renowned for intriguing hooks and powerful endings. Practicing crafting these for the shortest form of prose writing is bound to pay off for your longer works.

Jesus’s parables are all flash fiction pieces in terms of word count. Flash isn’t a new form at all, far from it, but more are aware of it now and I welcome that. Why not try it?






Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Alison. From this Allison!

      Delete
  2. Lovely post, Allison! Thanks. Do kindly tell me why people 'hate' adverbs and hunt them down in writing. I love the way they modify verbs. Like the 'carefully' you crossed out above, I think it was great there! Amazing to realise that the parables are flash fiction! Character focused!! I'm inspired by your post to create a collection of flash fiction writing. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Often Olusola the "ly" words are wasted words. If a sentence makes sense without the ly words, go for it. It sharpens up your writing cutting wasted words out. My particular bug bear here is the word actually. Something either is or isn't what is being shown to a reader. Be specific. Why do you need to modify a verb incidentally? For example, if I wanted a character to move quickly, I would just say they ran instead. For my limited word count in flash, I do have to cut out anything which isn't needed. Allison Symes.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Allison, this is really helpful. I'd be interested to know what the flash fiction websites there are that I can look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, David. Do take a look at Friday Flash Fiction. Google it and it will come up. I often write there and other members of ACW do too. It's a great introduction to the 100 words stories in particular. Allison Symes.

      Delete
  4. Thank you! I will have a go soon, as I have enjoyed it whenever I tried before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have fun with this, Maressa. I mentioned Friday Flash Fiction to David above. Do check them out. Even if you don't submit anything there, you will have a good read! Allison Symes

      Delete
    2. Many thanks Allison, this is so encouraging, and I will definitely give it a try.

      Delete
  5. I recently tried flash fiction in my local writing group so these tips are great, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment