The God Who Sees, by Georgie Tennant


Let’s be honest for a moment - how often do you feel completely unseen – by others and even by God?  When weeks go by and no-one calls us to see how we are doing, we feel unseen.  When we are passed over and someone else is called on for a job we would love to do, we feel unseen. When we aren’t included by friends or family, we feel unseen. When we pray desperately for an answer and everyone’s prayers seem answered but our own, we feel unseen.

How do these feelings about life transpose to our writing? Perhaps we see others post a Facebook question which generates interest and enthusiasm, yet when we post one, it fizzles.  Perhaps we launch our latest Bible devotional, blog post or novel and the numbers we see it clocking up are nowhere near those we had dreamed of – and we feel unseen, unnoticed.


Perhaps we feel unseen more than we would care to admit.  Feeling unseen is synonymous with feeling unloved, unnoticed.  It can provoke in us feelings of shame and unworthiness and lead to negative thought patterns and destructive behaviour.  Counselling can be so effective because it provides a place for people to feel “seen,” for their deepest hurts to be acknowledged and talked through. Only then can we see a way out of our pain and begin to glimpse ourselves as God does – broken yes, but precious, loved, His.

I have always loved the story of Hagar. Her revelation is something we all need. I feel for her plight.  Her mistress, Sarai, had run out of patience with God’s timing to give her a son.  Sarai decided to “help God out,” by commanding Hagar to sleep with Abram, so he would get his desired heir somehow.

As Sarai’s maidservant, she would have had no choice but to be complicit in her mistress’ attempts to “help” God out; but once she delivered what Sarai had wanted, she found herself out of favour with her mistress, who jealously mistreated her. When things reached breaking point, she fled into the desert, lost, alone and ready to face inevitable death. 


But God had other plans. His angel spoke to her, declaring her destiny and sending her back, better equipped to outwork it, with His help.

I love Hagar’s words in this encounter – “You are the God who sees me.” El Roi.  The God Who Sees Me.

How different would we feel, how much better equipped would we be to handle disappointments and disasters if we truly grasped what Hagar did that day: that God sees us.  Really sees us.  Sees us with a seeing that no human relationship can give us.  Sees our plight, our hurts, our pains, our disappointments, our fears and our joys and meets us in them, loves us anyway, draws us forward to live with them, better, in His strength. Sees our scribbled drafts, polished WiPs, our hope-filled pitches, crushing rejections and delighted victories and looks on, an interested Father, a loving comforter.

A while ago, I wrote a poem to help me capture for myself a sense of the God Hagar encountered. I am praying for myself, for a fresh revelation of the God who sees me - especially at the moment, especially when real encounters with people are scarce, that I would sense the loving eyes of God on me and it would be enough.  I am praying that for you, today too.

The God Who Sees

When I’m totally spent and overcome
You are the God who sees.
When all I can feel is exhausted and numb
You are the God who sees.

Wherever I am, wherever I run,
Soaring or on my knees,
El Roi gently calls my name –
He is the God who sees.

When my day has left me uninspired,
You are the God who sees.
When I wake up, already feeling tired,
You are the God who sees.

Wherever I am, wherever I run,
Soaring or on my knees,
El Roi gently calls my name –
He is the God who sees.

When I make the right choice, though there’s no-one around,
You are the God who sees.
When the stresses of life bring my face to the ground,
You are the God who sees.

Wherever I am, wherever I run,
Soaring or on my knees,
El Roi gently calls my name –
He is the God who sees.

When I give it my best, though I’m desperate to quit,
You are the God who sees.
When I grow and change, even the tiniest bit,
You are the God who sees.

Wherever I am, wherever I run,
Soaring or on my knees,
El Roi gently calls my name –
Always the God who sees.


Georgie Tennant is a secondary school English teacher in a Norfolk Comprehensive.  She is married, with two sons, aged 11 and 9 who keep her exceptionally busy. She writes for the ACW ‘Christian Writer’ magazine occasionally, and is a contributor to the ACW-Published ‘New Life: Reflections for Lent,’ and ‘Merry Christmas, Everyone,’ and, more recently, has contributed to a phonics series, out later this year. She writes the ‘Thought for the Week’ for the local newspaper from time to time and also muses about life and loss on her blog: www.somepoemsbygeorgie.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

  1. Lovely post, Georgina. Only this week I discovered that Hagar was the first person recorded in the Bible as hearing an angel say, 'Do not be afraid!' She is a neglected character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so lovely, Georgie. I like that you don't gloss over the disappointments we so often feel as writers but speak them out. Thank you, fabulous as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very powerful post, Georgie. It's so relevant for writers who long for their work to be seen but must be so careful not to allow that longing all-consuming. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully agree with you, Deborah. I'm guilty of allowing that longing to be all-consuming In fact when I first started reading this, I thought 'I know that Georgie is going to say that God see's but I don't want only God to see, I want real people to see it and comment on my writing too!' Which I know is totally the wrong attitude. I've got a lot of learning and growing to do.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Georgie, very much heartfelt words and certainly resonating here. The poem is wonderful and with that rhythm and the chorus is obviously one which could become a hymn/worship song with the right music. An ACW Scargill idea for you to pursue maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post, particularly the way you use Hagar to illustrate your point. That is really moving, the way she relies on God and believes that he sees her, even when she is disregarded in every other way. I also like what you're saying about the role of counselling. I hadn't really looked at it like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way you have built your argument here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so needed to read this today! God sees alright!! He saw that I needed to see this today! Thank you. I am a poet and I loved your poem! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very encouraging, Georgie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you engaged with Scripture in this way and it's a beautiful poem, and yes, could become a powerful worship song too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment