Let the tension go! Annie Try



Sometimes I am so engrossed in my writing that I forget to do what Pen Wilcock suggested at one of our writers’ days. In fact, it was something she made us do straightaway; it was to get up and dance! And we did - it was a joyous, silly few minutes of releasing tension. But we felt as loose and relaxed as the floppy clown puppet I used to use when teaching children to relax.

I am very much into dancing, as some of you know, and I think it is pretty wonderful for dispelling tension. But I recognise that it is not for everyone, so I thought it might be helpful for you to have a little peek at what I am writing for my next book.

The script I have here is basically a short progressive muscle relaxation, which I have written for Christians to use as preparation for prayer, but it can be useful for releasing tension when writing too. The script can be followed through as it is, or just take the exercises for your most tense area – for me it’s my shoulders which tend to get set and need relaxing.  At the end are some verses relating to each movement or area of the body. You may wish to read them before or after, but it’s quite tricky to read them while you are stretching and letting the tension go!

So here it is:

Find a comfortable chair, kick off your shoes, say a short prayer to God about leaving any worries or disturbing thoughts behind, and take it at a nice slow pace.  

Begin by raising one foot in front of you, at seating level, slowly stretching out your leg remembering that God lights a path for us and we need to walk in his way. Let the tension go and slowly let your leg fall back until your foot rests on the ground. Repeat with the other leg.

Relax your face by raising your eyebrows to your hair and slowly letting your muscles relax, widening your mouth in a big yawn or huge smile.  Think about the words from your mouth being pleasing to the Lord.
Screw up your nose and eyes, then let the tension go, remembering God’s greatness as the Creator of the world you see. 
Stretch one arm up towards the sky, praising God. Then let the arm gently fall back down. Repeat with the other arm.  Raise them both together, reaching up as if in worship.
Raise your shoulders to your ears, hold them there. Gradually let your shoulders come back down. Remember Jesus said ‘My yoke is easy and my burden is light.’
Take a deep breath and slowly exhale, thinking of the Bible as God-breathed. Do it again and if you think of a favourite verse, let that fill your mind.
Pull in your stomach – feel the tension – then slowly let it go, remembering God provides food and sustenance. 
Now stretch your body again and repeat the exercise for any part of your body that does not feel relaxed and loose. As you relax feeling your body’s warmth, think of God’s great love surrounding you like a blanket.



Sit quietly for a while. When you are ready, make a note of anything you feel God is saying to you or thoughts that have come to you.                                                                     © Angela Hobday

Here are the corresponding verses: Psalm 119:105, Psalm 19:14, Isaiah 40:28, 2 Corinthians 1:3, Matthew 11:30, 2 Timothy 3:16, Psalm 111, Psalm 32:10b.

Annie (Angela)

Annie Try is the author of the Dr Mike Lewis stories. The novels contain mysteries to be solved and people finding their true selves. The latest story was published in September 2019 by Instant Apostle.







Comments

  1. Angela this is brilliant! I'm going to do this today before I start writing. What a great idea to share it for others to do. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea and something I think we all forget to do. I certainly do. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always useful to do something more than simply rise from your chair at the computer - and actually doing something positive makes the taking-a-break more worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just found two minutes and been through your lovely relaxation exercise, praising God and thinking on his greatness. I'm feeling wonderfully calm. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment