Keeping up the pace by Jane Clamp





Etsy
In last month’s blog, I wrote about the effect a particular prayer was having on my writing: Unleash your words in me, O God. At the time, I reported that my daily word count had considerably increased and, of course, I was wondering how long I would be able to keep it up for. The answer is that the prayer has continued to be effective. There have been a couple of days when I haven’t had chance to write at all, but usually I am knocking out around 2000 words a day. A powerful prayer, then…

I’ve also been reading a lot lately, working through the huge bag of books that my son was clearing out before Christmas. It’s expanded my usual repertoire of go-to genres and authors and one I’ve quite got into is Michael Crichton (of Jurassic Park fame). I’m on my third in as many weeks and they are complete page-turners! Last night, I had trouble getting off to sleep because I’d read too late and the plot was too exciting.

So, as well as thoughts about keeping up the pace in my writing, I’ve been thinking a lot about pace within novels. From my perspective as a reader, I know there are some books I can’t put down and others I barely want to pick back up. I know what I like to find in a novel when I’m reading one, but how do I translate that into my attempts at writing? Specifically, I’m asking myself whether I’m writing page-turners or plodders? Am I asking my readers to buckle themselves in and be prepared for a roller-coaster ride, or am I sitting them on a donkey and dragging them along a dusty road?

Inevitably, as the writer, I can expect to become caught up with my characters and their lives, but will anyone share my interest, let alone enthusiasm?

So the purpose of my blog this month is to ask some questions from the varied members of ACW, many of whom are dab hands at the things I struggle with. I’m serious when I say I would very much love to hear your answers.

·         What keeps you reading a book, particularly fiction but not exclusively?

·         What hooks you in and keeps you hooked? Plot? Characters? Intrigue? Writing style? Something else?

·         What tips do you have from your reading and writing regarding pace?

Please do comment! We’re all in this together!



Jane Clamp is the ACW group leader of both Brecks, Fens and Pens and Green Pastures Christian Writers in Norfolk. Her work includes the title Too Soon (SPCK) as well as magazine articles and radio appearances on UCB and Premier. She leads creative writing retreats in Cumbria and Norfolk.
www.janeclamp.com




Comments

  1. I'm afraid I have little patience with novels of slow pace, those with (to my mind) too much description, pointless dialogue or showing off in a literary writing style. I'm metaphorically shouting at the book (and author): please just get on with it! So I enjoy reading and writing books for young people, because they are ruthless about their short attention span. The pace has to be fast, in terms of quickly engaging with the characters, a plot with high stakes that keeps moving forward relentlessly, and preferably with many twists, turns and surprises. I don't know whether this helps you, Jane, but that's my preference. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does help, Philip, thank you. All input gratefully received.

      Delete
  2. I think that first of all, I have to 'get' the character, warm to them in some way, care about their situation and want to know how they are going to deal with it. A writer needs to set up questions asap. Pace and page-turnability are all about the contract the writer sets up with the reader. The writer promises: I am going to pose questions you will want to know the answer to. Then it's all about how the writer handles suspense, how they withhold information, how they build up that desire to know the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, it's great characters, intrigue, layers of meaning all tied up with fascinating cultural setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to get into the characters' heads (and hearts), too

      Delete
  4. For me, what keeps me reading is the quality of the writing - if I keep coming across sentences or phrases and think, 'I wish I'd written that,' then I won't put the book down. Also, I need to really care what happens to the characters. If I've stopped caring, I know the book isn't going to hold me. And there need to be questions I'm asking all along the way - I've just read Claire Wong's book 'A Map of the Sky' and all the way through, I was asking, 'Why didn't the father come with them?' It's only revealed near the end but I was happy to hang on for it!

    If a book has revelations and surprises along the way that I didn't expect, I find this really exciting. Also, if things are said that you KNOW are going to be relevant later on, that's a very good hooking device. (Isn't it the 'Chekhov's gun' theory? - the idea that if you have a gun on the mantelpiece in Act 1 Scene 1, someone had jolly well better get shot with it later in the play, otherwise the audience is in for a disappointment.)

    I agree with what Philip has said on the FB page. If I find I'm slightly disengaged from something I've written, then it's likely that the reader will be too, if not more so, as there's no reason why they should invest in my book. Also, I think every single 'scene' in a book has to have a purpose: either to move the story on, to reveal something about a character, etc. I think we have to be ruthless about irrelevancies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane Brocklehurst5 June 2020 at 13:39

      Ditto everything Fran said. At the heart of a good novel for me is a mystery beautifully described.

      I have learned to appreciate slower-paced novels e.g. Victorian epics which were published as weekly parts with a small cliff-hanger at the end of each chapter. However, I'm not sure we should be writing fiction like that now because of the plethora of fast communications we experience.

      Delete
    2. Jane, what an amazing phrase: a mystery beautifully described. I love that!

      Delete
  5. Gosh, just realised what a long and rambly answer that was. Apologies! Ironically, you probably switched off in Paragraph 1 :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read to the end, don't worry! I love the thought of jolly well using the gun. I'm just so conscious that I love reading so much and may not be achieving the same stunning results with my own writing. I know what I appreciate as a reader but am I doing it as a writer?

      Delete
  6. That's a great answer. I want a bit of mystery and a trail of breadcrumbs to keep me turning the pages. Strong characters in whom I believe keep me reading as well as realistic situations. I don't like formulaic plots and cliche.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trail of breadcrumbs, I like that. Thanks, Ruth!

      Delete
  7. I like to be able to identify with the main character in some way as well enjoy the story unfolding at a good pace. As a writer for children I can't afford too many lengthy descriptions (if any). When I watch my twelve year old son gaming, I'm goggle-eyed at how fast he absorbs and reacts to information. However, we are currently reading together 'Holiday at the Dew Drop Inn' by Eve Garnett (published 1956) Which is incredibly slow but wonderful if its description. Its a good one just before bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have slept badly for two nights now because of a book. Thankfully, I've now finished it and shall go for something more soothing....

      Delete
  8. I also need beautiful writing and a plot twist/ intriguing characters that will keep me reading to the end. Those books that make you want to peek at the last page, you're so desperate for it to work out OK - they are the ones I like best đŸ™‚

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another aspect: do I like the novelist's world view? I am giving head space to this person: are they a welcome guest? Twice in the last week I have put down a book about 75% of the way through because I found the author's company distasteful, no matter how compelling their plot lines, character development etc.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment