My Beautiful Mask by Kathleen McAnear Smith

My Beautiful Mask

 

Claire Musters was featured on Wendy H. Jone’s podcast a few days ago. On 16 June Claire wrote the blogpost for More Than Writers. I just about decided to change my topic for this blogpost, when I realised I would be putting on one of those “masks” Claire so eloquently describes in her book “Taking Off The Mask”: ‘The Fear of What Other’s Think’ mask.

 

You see, unlike what I hear most of the people I know say- “can’t wait to get back!” I don’t want to go back to church in a building. 

 

Just as I have ordered a beautiful cotton mask made by my step-daughter in law (it’s her business), I’ll own up to the fact I’ve been actively considering an emotional mask that will get me through church gatherings in the flesh. As Claire wrote in this particular book about a selection of masks, I thought I could check out her list and select one that might work. 

 

It would be a British understatement to say that that was seriously NOT why Claire wrote the book. Taking Off the Mask teaches us how to recognise the invisible masks we are wearing, and takes us step by step in taking them OFF, for the purpose of going deeper in freedom. Claire asks, “Do you have a safe place within your church community where you feel you can be honest about your struggles?” 

 

I love that question. You may recall my last blog post where I described a very safe-to recover church. That church was an enormous encouragement to my developing as a disciple of Jesus. Unfortunately, since we left London I haven’t had the same experience. 

 

In chapter 4 of the book, Claire describes the situation I now face, “As weeks went by I would go to meetings in small-group settings and feel God prompt me to be honest and open with those around me. But it felt raw, harsh and lonely. Over time, I began to realise why: no one else had lowered their mask.”

 

Where I worship now, our Pastor is inspiring and caring, and the team at the door are described as “so welcoming and friendly.” Yet, in small-groups I’ve had to deal with cheap jokes and mockery about my American nationality. There is little to no leap of understanding as to how systemic racism might cause at least a pause for personal reflection. It’s an “other people’s problem”. 


Which is why I now find myself reaching for a mask. 

 

If only to find self-reflecting, repenting friends, I’ve gone back via streaming to that old London church. Yet one night, in small zoom group, someone even in that church insisted on pointing only to my nation (not theirs) regarding racism. This time, thankfully, the group leaders stood up to the challenge and reminded us all of safe-guarding. Claire says “churches are supposed to be safe places.”

 

Unlike the beautiful flowers on the cotton mask I’ve just purchased, the masks we often wear “are actually suffocating the real people-the real you and me-are trapped behind them,”says Claire. I love her freedom payers.

 

Alas, while I aim for this freedom from mask-wearing; as I prepare for an additional transition (from non-fiction to fiction writing), I’m ashamed to say another writer comes dangerously to mind, “You own everything that happens to you.Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved better.”*



C.H. Spurgeon “I kiss the wave that threw me on to the Rock of Ages.” 


Kathleen is from a five-nationality family working on cross-cultural understanding. Her book “Beyond Broken Families” speaks of Ezekiel’s serious intent for your family in this century, and Jesus’ work to bring down walls of hostility. She is a “mature” student at Spurgeon College, London. Kathleen would like to start a small Reading for Writing group that reads about black lives in history. 

Comments

  1. You're absolutely right, Kathleen. The only difference between American and British in terms of racism is in our histories but in essence we're all equally culpable. Just because something is more subtle doesn't make it less real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a woman of grace. It’s a challenge for all of us to look for new ways to listen, but we don’t want to miss this time in history. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Kathleen, honestly, this is so much more than a blog. I have read this realising that God is speaking directly through you to me. I've been agonising about my church for ages. It's disappointed me, saddened me and makes me feel worse when I go to it than when I don't. I've had some wise advice from other Christian friends, but your piece is the final bit in the jigsaw. I am so sad, but not surprised, that people have said these hurtful things to you. I genuinely don't know what goes through their minds. I'd much rather stick with online church too. And I am totally with you on the transition from non fiction to fiction. Also doing that. I love this piece, just love it. So brave, so honest, so raw. Thank you and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ruth, I don’t even know how to give thanks for your response except to ask God to bless you as you have blessed me this morning. May God have the glory.

      Delete
    2. Sending lots of love. This has proved to me, yet again, that when we let our slips show, God can come in and start the healing process. My heart is so bruised over church, as I see yours is, but we trust Him to apply healing balm.

      Delete
    3. I agree, Ruth, about the healing balm but I also know I need to drink deeply from a well of living water. That's not just religious speak. To me it means being a part of two churches for awhile: one to receive (and support however I may/can), and one to attend with a patience that builds my character while also asking the Holy Spirit for discernment for God's purpose for me being there.

      Delete
    4. Exactly!! Me too. My character and my levels of patience have been built up so much by God since I moved up here, but it's now having the effect of discouraging me. So time to move on.

      Delete
    5. Happy to chat privately- any time! Xx

      Delete
  3. Yes. We both do not feel like we can't wait to go back. We love on-line church and have discovered somewhere else to worship... without the social interactions. It may not be for the same reasons in this blogpost but that doesn't stop the feeling of 'no, not particularly in a hurry'. Church & church based organisations both demand masks - in order to fit in. Interested that you (Katherine) mention your '5 nationality family': one wonders if it takes this to see what inclusion and equality mean - those (including us here) who have this experience value the cross cultural influences & knowledge, we don't cling to being only one, narrow creature behind a wall. ignorance of course lies behind prejudice, and social awkwardness is often behind cheap 'joking' but these are things Christians should be working not to employ! London is of course a cosmopolitan place, so not surprised your church there was more enlightened, socially - though I have to say where we live is also pretty cosmopolitan but prejudices of various kinds manage to lurk nonetheless. I do not feel I fit in, I am too serious minded and too political! Masks should not be worn - regrettably, they are worn for protection... in church and other groups, to create a 'sameness' which can be considered safe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your term “social awkwardness “ is important. It’s a time for all of us to feel a little awkward as we know it’s time to listen well in new situations, but we look for where His grace is found. I truly worry for those who feel they have nothing to repent. Arrogance is lethal. Thank you for responding.

      Delete
  4. Brings to mind a poem "Please hear what I'm not saying."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to read that poem. Do you know who wrote it?

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this honest reflection. We are a British family who lives currently in Switzerland but recently spent 5 years in China. The mockery and constant comments my children (and I) experienced at the American School there was heartbreaking. We are always the foreigners and there’s sorrow in it despite it being the life we’ve chosen; it had made my heart more tender towards others who feel like outsiders. I try daily to love others better (in actions and words) and offer grace to those who don’t love me with their words or actions. Sometimes, I even succeed xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment