A word in season


I came across some poems in my files recently. They were written during a Junior School workshop I ran as a visiting speaker to the class my son belonged to at the time.

I'd forgotten all about that workshop until I saw the poems again. 

My son is now 34. So I think that's a good enough excuse for the faded memory. 

The workshop would be a good exercise for any creative writing group, or for an individual wanting some inspiration, so I offer the idea here for only £37.50 free of charge.

The idea was 'How to write poems about the seasons.'  Starting with summer, we listened to each corresponding section of Vivaldi's 'Four Seasons' to get ourselves in the zone.

Then, we brainstormed ideas based on questions such as 'What would the season look like/wear/smell like/feel like/sound like/taste like/say to you?' 

Together, we re-shaped the class's ideas into short poems, which I think are delightful. That's Junior School imaginations for you :) 


(Copyright-free picture - cheers, Pixabay)




STRAW HAT 

Mrs Summer walks through the woods
with Sonny, aged 8,
who's dressed in red and white.

Picnic basket
overflowing with strawberries.

Mother wears a straw hat
and long flowing dress,
her hair a golden lion's mane.

Mum - says Sonny.
Can I have a football lolly?

Not now - her voice gentle as a lamb's.
Sonny kicks his ball
high into the wide sky.





MS ROSIE SPRING

Ms Rosie Spring
moves softly
like a lazy stream.

Pink and cream dress,
short sleeves
showing soft arms.

Blonde hair
silky like rose petals.
"Come closer, closer."

I can smell
fresh perfume.
I'm excited to see her.





MR AND MRS AUTUMN

Crinkly skin like old leaves,
holding hands.
Their warm clothes
brown, green, red, gold.

They shuffle together
through the park
collecting conkers
for grandchildren.

Mr Autumn sucks a pipe.
The smoke smells like bonfires.
Resting on a bench of oakwood,
they munch apples




WINTER

Here comes Mr J Frost
tumbling down a snowy hill,
his round body
wrapped in icy blue wool.

He grabs my hand
with his fish fingers.
He sees right through me
with frozen pea eyes.

White hedgehog hair
like spiky needles.
"I'm coming to get you," he says.
I freeze. 




Fran Hill is a writer and English teacher based in Warwickshire. Poetry workshops are the only context in which you would find her listening to Vivaldi. She prefers the Beatles and reggae. 

Her latest book 'Miss, What Does Incomprehensible Mean?' is a funny teacher memoir written in diary form. It charts a typical year in her English teacher life and can be found at Amazon in paperback and Kindle or from SPCK Publishing. You can find out more at her website here




Comments

  1. Really interesting, unique poems, Fran. Can I order two of your current books straight from you? I would like them both signed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheila. The books are parcelled up and ready to go :)

      Delete
  2. Amazing talent from youngsters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have great imaginations, don't they? They just need someone to light the touch paper and then BOOM!

      Delete
  3. oh what fun! great ideas and imaginations. bet the lesson was fun too... did they want you back, Miss? (I have your latest on the kindle awaiting to be read!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't actually remember whether I got invited back or did anything more at the school. It could be that my son begged me not to do it twice! So glad you've ordered the book, Clare. Hope you love it!

      Delete
  4. I think they're fabulous poems. Wonderful how imaginative and original children can be when untrammelled by ideas of what other people/adults think they should do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Thanks, Sheila. And yet, as soon as they hit teenage years, many of them feel embarrassed to use their imaginations in this way. Such a shame!

      Delete
  5. I love these! Take me right back to my own primary school days. The Winter one is particularly evocative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Ruth. Yes, their 'fish fingers' idea was genius.

      Delete
  6. I love children's uninhibited creativity. I bet they wrote those poems in a matter of minutes!! Lovely to share, thanks, Fran. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nikki. They were a collaboration of ideas and all I had to do was shape them which I think I did with the class (using a flipchart as we did then!)

      Delete
  7. Not sure how I missed this post! These are incredible. And that's why I LOVE teaching writing to young children. Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment