Snatch-Boom - A New Style of Writing (An Encouragement for Crazily Busy Writers) by Nikki Salt


I’m sitting at my daughter’s dressing table, laptop balanced between the mirror and the edge, desperate to find a tiny slot of peace and quiet while I write a post that is gripping or at the very least interesting. Right now, I’m hoping my readers get passed the first sentence.

Over the past few months, I have developed this snatch-boom style of writing (my word – you saw it here first) where I snatch at words as quickly as I can, plonking them onto the page before I lose my (so very fragile) train of thought before…


… I am interrupted (sorry, that was my 12-year-old butting in asking me what is for dinner, he’s hungry – Doesn’t he know it’s only five fifteen and bananas make a good snack?) Now, where was I?

Yes, snatch-boom. I believe I have invented a new style of writing. Basically, imagine you have only a very short amount of time, (only you don’t know exactly how short) and you have to write something entertaining, somewhat grammatically correct and that makes at least some sense. You’re aiming for a 300-word count and…

…when interruptions do come, you have to pick up right where you left off without the reader seeing the gaps in your erratic, distracted thinking. (12-year-old has got banana stuck in his Nintendo Switch controls.)

  Seriously, lockdown is not going to be the making of my novel! A few weeks in, once I’d calmed down after all the frustration, I turned to God and asked him what, on earth, He expected from me. He’s given me this love of writing, a compendium of stories floating in my mind desperate to be committed to paper, yet every effort feels like a trek through treacle. Thick, black, oily treacle that sticks to everything and stops the flow of my pen. Do you know what he said? He said, “Trust me.”

That got me thinking about seasons and God’s plan for our lives. Thinking back over the last three years I feel my feet haven’t touched the ground. We’ve moved house twice (once across the country), I’ve managed children and husband into new schools, church, clubs, friendship groups, I’ve grappled with the whole SEND* world and coping with my challenging but loveable (at times) daughter and held down a part-time teaching job. I’m exhausted with just writing that! I could stamp my foot and complain about a hectic life stealing writing time or I could look at all of this as writing fodder. Great, big, fat portions of life experiences that build me and
(eventually) my writing.

So, I thought I’d take this opportunity to encourage every writer who’s a mum, dad, Key Worker, or any crazily busy person with this thought. Take heart, trust God, and keep going. He has put the love of writing into your soul for a reason. Don’t panic. If you can snatch-boom write, that’s something. If you don’t even have time for snatch-boom, then write lists (I do this), and if you’re too exhausted to write a list, try snatch-boom reading (I fall asleep doing this every night).

Finally, my inordinately kind readers, I am grateful and thank you from the bottom of my heart for reading to the end of this exceedingly snatch-boom written blog post.





Comments

  1. Lovely! Yes, I remember scrawling phrases on odd bits of paper or the backs of envelopes. Love 'Snatch Boom' as a phrase. It describes it so well. Blessings on you and your writing, Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we all have times for snatch-boom! I have bits of paper, bus tickets and receipts filled with scribbles too! Thank you for your kind words. xx

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your blog. I love the Snatch-Boom, this is a good description of me over the last few weeks in terms of getting work done. Keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. This is so encouraging. I want to get on with my novel but feel flat about it. It's good to know we are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I hope you do get back into it. I love your characters. x

      Delete
  4. I love your descriptions of the interruptions. That's exactly how it is. I don't have my children at home any more but my husband has plenty of ideas for thrilling things I could do such as order a shop online or help him shell peas. If only sitting on the sofa with my laptop made me look busier!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think husbands are worse. They have the ability to forget that writing is a 'real job' and not just a hobby!!

      Delete
  5. I was nodding my head and making "mmm" noises in the first paragraph! Yes, this is it exactly. I love your newly minted phrase - get it trademarked, quick! I have spent so much time intervening in sibling fights, pointing out the same nutritional facts about bananas/cheese/bread/anything really, just go away, and all the many things a busy household throws at the dedicated writer. Take heart from Mrs Gaskell, who managed to knock out a series of corking novels while supporting a hard working minister husband, sewing, cooking and bringing up children. I bet she felt that her pen was full of treacle instead of ink too. This was so encouraging, Nikki. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth. Ooh I love Mrs Gaskell, especially her tales of Cranford. You're right, of course - we continue to keep going. Sometimes snatch-booming, other times a blissful few hours!

      Delete
  6. I need to print this off and keep it with me! I am at my introverted worst with interruptions. Your writing has inspired me to be a nice person (well....to try!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, well you might be able to give me a few tips when you've cracked it!!

      Delete
    2. This was wonderful, Nikki. I meant to look at it yesterday, for the title alone, made me curios, but time ran out on me.

      Of course I made it past the first sentence, how could I not, with words like 'desperate' and 'gripping'. And I loved this sentence 'yet every effort feels like a trek through treacle. Thick, black, oily treacle that sticks to everything and stops the flow of my pen.' such an evocative way of describing how challenging it can be to find the time to write sometimes.

      That's why I love vss365, though sometimes I can't even find time for that. I get up at six and that is my writing time, well it's meant to be sometimes I get distracted by what's trending on Twitter. I find the prompt for the day, and then let my imagination go to work.

      Thank you for making me smile and touching my heart by sharing your writing journey :)

      Delete
  7. Thank you, Martin. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think sometmes I fall into the trap of thinking that unless I've spent a lot of time on a piece of writing it won't be very good. Silly really, in the past I've spent hours writing a couple of paragraphs only to delete them all and other times I can write something in a few minutes and I'm quite pleased with it! I find prayer works!! How long does it take you to write a vss365?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all depends. On the rare days, I can write one in a few minutes, but other times I need to think about it during the day. I find walking our dog helps. It's amazing the ideas that can come whilst doing that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment