Words in Isolation by Annmarie Miles


I have been in isolation since the beginning of January. I’d been having a difficult time, though was unwilling to admit it. When I laid all my responsibilities down to go home to Ireland for Christmas, I found I was unable to pick them back up when I returned to Wales. The more I tried, the harder it was to try. I hit a wall and fell apart. Since then I’ve been off work and ‘off’ church. Spending all day, every day at home. Not sad, not homesick, not pining, not crying. Feeling empty but filled with anxiety about every single aspect of my life. It has been awful.

I was starting to feel some improvement, when the Corona Virus made the headlines. I was reading, a little. I was trying to write again, just a few words every day. I thought I might be able to go to church, popping in just after the beginning, and leaving in the last hymn. My anxiety was just starting to wane when COVID-19 became the topic of every newscast and Facebook post. I was reminded of the power of words. How each article would affect me. One making me feel a little safer, another making me feel a little more hopeless. Georgie Tennant wrote about that power in her post on the 18th, entitled, The Power We Wield. She asks, “As writers, speakers, educators, parents and grandparents, biological and adopted - have you ever considered the immense power for education and social change that your writing holds?” I’d like to pose that question to many who have posted scaremongering and unnecessarily critical words recently.

Here I am with an opportunity to use words to counter that, and what am I writing? Hardly anything at all. I looked at myself in the mirror the other day and said, “Isn’t this what you’ve dreamed of? An opportunity to be still. Plenty of time to get the necessaries done and still have time to write. Space and peace and isolation! You’ve been complaining long enough that you don’t have it. Now you have it!” Thankfully there was no one home when I self-lectured. 


Though I am recovering, and ideas for stories are returning, I cannot write them. I’ve had this post in my head for a week and have had to drag it out of me. 
It's all I can do at the moment. But it's a start, isn't it?


Annmarie Miles is from Dublin, Ireland.
She lives with her husband Richard who is a pastor in the Eastern Valley of Gwent, in South Wales. She writes short stories, magazine articles, devotional pieces for Christian radio, and blogs about her faith at www.auntyamo.com Her first collection of short stories published in 2013, is called 'The Long & The Short of it'. Her second collection, 'A Sense of the Sea and other stories,' was published in 2018 and in December 2019 she published her first novel, Gorse Lodge. She is currently editing a non-fiction book about being an overweight Christian called, 'Have mercy on me O Lord, a slimmer.'

Comments

  1. This is so sad to read, Annmarie. You are such a lovely person and so impressed me when I met you at Scargill. I like the stories I've read of yours, too. You are so right - some of the 'noise' around us at the moment only serves to drag us down and if you're already feeling low it's of no help at all. I pray that the muse that is returning will come back with a proper vengeance and you'll be writing those stories soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a start, a wonderful start Annmarie. Big hugs for you in your isolation and prayers for rest and healing, and that the stories creep back in moments when you are ready for them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right about the power of the written word. I read your piece and again thought how the insistence on being up-beat which has come into society (did 'social media' bring it? Not totally) is destructive. It came in the 1980s-90s when schools began to teach kids to write up-beat stuff preparing to do CVs... It came with the style of job applications, and in many other ways in which are supposed to 'market' ourselves...before social media exited. And if we object, we are told to calm down, not rock boats, and be positive - or, we get pity-ed. I know I have 'banged on' about this more than once, I do that because it is true, and because church communities are sometimes blind to how we 'aren't meant to be as Christians'. Who knows how we are 'meant' to be? Or what is a witness to God? It is horrible that you had been to a dark place, and as you crept out into the first dim version of light, a universal horrific event was starting up. I empathise. This year I have been beginning to write again, and was looking forward to writing, painting, and being more normal after serious illness laid me low two years ago to the month (I was in hospital the whole of Lent, and was finally out of there on Easter Monday). So I thoroughly empathise. And yes I have spells of anxiety related to all that gloomy, panicky news and advice and talk... I will add you to my prayer list. All I can say otherwise is that it's best to only listen to the News maybe once a day, and find ways to distract yourself...walk in any nearby countryside and notice the natural world, etc... advice is often useless, as everyone' s needs are different, though... I Just really send you encouragement in the abstract, and say keep going, somehow, with your daily life and in your faith... (maybe investigate a good therapist to share the sources of your problem with, who works on-line - but that may not be either your thing or possible for other reasons...) And write that piece telling off the scare-mongerers - even if you can't find a good place to post or send it - they deserve criticism...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brave and inspiring post! We all hit that wall at one time or another and it's so easy to chastise ourselves. "You've got peace and quiet, you've got time, what's wrong with you?" I know those words only too well. As Fran says, the negative noise does none of us any good. Junk the redtops if you read them, play music that inspires you, light a scented candle, amble round the garden - whatever you do for you will feed your writer's soul. Because you are a writer. That's who God made you to be and that's who you truly are, even if at the moment you can't feel it. Sending love x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have just downloaded 'Gorse Lodge', Annmarie. It might be a while (I am shamelessly panic-buying books and the pile is growing!) but I look forward to reading it. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless you Annemarie. An even longer isolation than most. I've come to the conclusion that the most important thing we can do at the moment isn't writing but praying and seeking God. May He bless you with special times as you do this xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Annmarie, Sometimes depression can be a result of a chemical change, when there is no outward reason. Did you see a doctor?
    Just thought I'd mention it.
    I too started isolation early because I sprained my shoulder then got arthritis pain in my fingers so I had to be left-handed for a month.
    I just hope sun comes out and it gets warm - it would brighten us all up a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel for you and am raising up a prayer that your heart and soul will be lifted into light, and that the words and stories will come pouring back. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Annmarie, I totally 'get' that all consuming and paralysing anxiety. My own recovery from depression and anxiety has been knocked back by C****19 and I've had to cut back on news and social media as a coping strategy - but it's so hard. Especially as a healthcare professional!
    But thank you for writing about this so honestly - it's such an encouragement to know others feel the same and are fighting the same battle.
    My garden is what is helping me most - looking at the plants and listening to the birds daily. So much peace and perspective to be learned there.
    And if we can't write at the moment, then I think we are just bulbs developing underground unseen - shoots and blooms will come in due time.
    God bless x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems like it's already been said so fantastically well by Liz, Fran and Ruth, I just wanted to add how powerful I found your piece. Loved Liz's analogy about being like a 'bulb developing underground unseen.' May your writing flow again like a babbling stream, bringing joy and refreshment for all who need it. Bless you x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment