Glimpsing God's light by Tracy Williamson

In the midst of a global health crisis where we are all at war against an invisible rampaging enemy is there any light by which I might navigate this stark terrain?  Yes, for although Fear and Sickness walk hand in hand and the night sky appears totally black, yet as I look more closely I realise it is full of tiny pinpricks of light and the more I gaze upon those pinpricks, the bigger they seem to be and to my amazement the very darkness is transformed before me.  Pinpricks of light, the presence of Jesus in me; In myself today I've been rather fraught and agitated, drifting, unfocused, unwell, yet He is here.  Here in the kindness of strangers offering to take my dog for a walk; here in the actions of a neighbour checking if we need anything in the shops; here in the freshness of the wintry breeze blowing in childlike playfulness around me as I peg up the first wash of the spring;  As the breeze tossed the clothes on the line and performed its merry invisible dance between the tea towels and socks, I thought of the wind of the Spirit, blowing where it will, invisible yet almighty, full of God's creative power and beauty.  I may feel vexed and unsettled, irritable and even far away from God, yet those pinpricks of light are always there for me to find, for surely He is always with me.  I may feel stark and unproductive compared to so many who are on the front line and working their utmost to help those in need, yet as I stand at my window and add my applause to the millions of others around the nation, God hears and celebrates with me from Heaven, His joy filling the sky.  He the One who is utterly selfless is bursting with delight over those made in and living out His image in selfless care of those in need..
He loves me to fill my heart with the truths of His faithfulness and kindness so how better to see that but in the lives of those giving themselves so unstintingly?  Will I honour those He honours and so open my heart to His radiant joy and peace?  Or shutter up my heart in judgement and anger and find I can see only the dark?
How might I navigate the strangeness of this day and the strangeness of my unsettled heart?  He is with me and never abandons me.  If I go down to the depths He is there, speaking kindness and peace deep within.  My dog pressing close into my side, still loving me even though I can't take him for walks.  But in his gentle lick of forgiveness and loving pressure against my legs, my eyes are opened to God's unconditional love and my darkness turns to light.
Glimpses of light as our churches truly practice fellowship without walls; the joy of whatsapp shared prayers, Facetime, social media... shared experiences; a communion of paracetamols across the miles; glimpses of light, of kindness, of love. 
Thank you Jesus.  You are the light and the darkness has not understood.  But in your light, I see light.



Tracy Williamson is an author and speaker working together with blind Gospel singer Marilyn Baker for MBM Trust. www.mbm-ministries.org   A music and teaching ministry.  Tracy who is deaf enjoys reading of all kinds of books and eating all kinds of chocolate!  Add dogs, beauty of wildlife, good meals and time with friends to the mix and you've got her sussed!

Comments

  1. Such beautiful, lyrical, poetic writing. Thank you Tracy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this, Tracy. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I love Anne Lamott 's comment that many of us will know the love of God through our dogs and cats 🙂

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment