Feeling the Fear by Jane Clamp


When was the last time you were afraid? I mean, gut-twistingly, hands clammily, heart-racingly scared?

For me, it was yesterday. I had a key phase to complete in the renovation of my bathroom. It’s been a long project and now there’s a deadline, so I had no choice but to gird my loins and get on with it. It was all clear in my mind, each step mentally rehearsed over and over, but the moment where I had to commit to the actual task terrified me.

In my quiet time that morning, I read an encouraging verse which I’ll share with you now. It’s from The Message, Psalm 29, right at the end: God makes his people strong. God gives his people peace. It turned out to be the most important bit of equipment I needed.

Being a writer is a really scary occupation. (Why do any of us choose it?!) Daily, we have multiple fears to overcome:

·         Am I good enough?

·         Can I come up with the ideas?

·         Will I get this finished?

·         Is it worth finishing?

·         What will people think of it?

·         Will I get rejected (again)?

For many would-be writers, the obstacles are too great to overcome. Fearing outcomes which are only in their (wonderfully overactive) imagination, they get stuck. It’s not writer’s block. It’s sheer terror, and it’s like a brick wall between us and our dreams.

The only antidote I have found is this: just get on with it. In answer to the question posed above, we’re writers because we can’t help but be writers. There’s something restless in our souls that is only satisfied when we’ve converted it into words. When we’re not writing, we wish we were. There’s a well-known quote, variously attributed, that says ‘Feel the fear and do it anyway.’ You see, the fear won’t go away. It’s always terrifying to some degree to “put our work out there.” But, if we give in to the anxiety, let our fears shout louder than our dreams, then we’ll stay a ‘would-be’, a ‘might-have-been.’ It’s certainly not the epitaph I plan for my gravestone…

So, take a deep breath, tell yourself God makes his people strong. God gives his people peace, and do the thing you’ve been putting off. Step by step, we can trample down those fears.




Jane Clamp is the author of Too Soon, a mother's journey through miscarriage (SPCK). She leads 2 ACW local groups as well as retreats in Christian hotels and conference centres.
www.janeclamp.com

Comments

  1. what does it take to be a successful author? I would say that initial reviews and marketing definitely boost your book. I used https://usabookreviewers.com to get a few reviews and also promote my book. Hopping to be in the top 100 genre lists and see better sales this Christmas season…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jane. I really needed to hear this today (and every day!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're quite right. We often call it procrastination but that's probably just the symptom. Its root is something much deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh Janey, thanks for writing that post for me . How did you know?!? Very very apposite today. I didn't love it. I NEEDED it. That is all. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful to have been part of meeting your need today. That's precious.

      Delete
  5. Fear appears to have such power over us, but I've found that when you grit your teeth and shine a light on it, it slinks away back into the darkness. Hard work though! Love your picture of Joan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'm saying to myself a lot these days, "Hold your nerve." It's all about bashing through sometimes...

      Delete
  6. So true - and it's exactly what has been happening to me in the past few days as I plan to get back to my unfinished novel. I realise I am actually afraid to look at it again in case it is rubbish...

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me it's the start of your piece that grabbed my attention. My latest challenge with Alpha writers is to write a 300 piece about being terrified but I'm not allowed to use any clichés! Not sure if it's fear or lack of time that means I haven't started it yet. I have till midnight on Tues 17th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, that does sound challenging! Hope it goes well....

      Delete

Post a Comment