Being fearless by Claire Musters



Last weekend I attended a conference entitled Fearless. It felt like such a privilege being able to gather with 500+ women from the network of churches we are a part of (from all over Europe) before what seems like the inevitable closing of larger gatherings, and possibly church meetings.

One of the speakers spent time unpacking what the word ‘fearless’ means, focusing on these aspects: being courageous, bold, valiant, lion-hearted. Looking online, other words to describe its meaning include: daring, dynamic, spirited, confident, audacious, undaunted, unflinching, gutsy. What a word!

Since the conference, I’ve been pondering what being fearless might mean for me in each area of my life: my marriage (a very on-point area as my husband and I are currently writing a book on marriage and have felt a distinct rise in pressure on our relationship), in my parenting, in my friendships, in areas of service in church and, of course, in my career – of which writing is a huge part.

Am I being fearless in the writing I’m currently doing for our marriage book? Am I facing the subjects I find difficult with courage? Am I working through them with God and taking time to hear from him which things I should include in the book, and which are just for us?

Am I being fearless in the way I’m writing the next devotional I’m working on? I certainly felt I was unflinching as I wrote the previous one, which is on loss and disappointment – the second half was written by my mum’s bedside as she slowly faded from this life…

I was most impacted by a speaker who shared about an incredibly difficult few years in which God raised her profile in her career while, at the same time, worked on deep healing in her personal life. That spoke directly to me, giving me another acknowledgement that I’m in the place that God has asked me to be. 

Since my mum died, I have felt God invite me into the darkness – not to be enveloped by grief, but to allow a wrestling with him over the huge questions that her death has raised. But I felt him say that it wouldn’t just be about me working through grief and questions – that this season would shape the writing I have yet to do. 

I had just felt God confirm all that to me when a woman (who now lives in Berlin so doesn’t see me very often) came over and said the exact same thing – that God had told her to say it to me. What an encouragement! And yet, it is still down to me as to whether I fearlessly engage with what God is asking me to do, without wallowing in the negative emotions that can arise.

As I knew this blog was about to be due, I then started thinking about what being fearless might mean for each of us. Perhaps for you it means:

Actually starting to write that novel, which has simmered inside for years but you have been too afraid to embark upon.

Reading a piece of writing out loud to a writers’ group for the first time.

Allowing friends to read the story you wrote a few years ago and put away in a drawer.

Finishing off writing a book that you've recently struggled to complete.

Stepping out and sending your manuscript off to potential publishers.

Sending those article ideas off to magazine editors.

Contacting your publisher with a new book idea, which may be taking your writing in a completely new direction.

Whatever being fearless looks like for you, may you take encouragement from these verses, which I felt prompted to include:

I took you from the ends of the earth,
from its farthest corners I called you.
I said, “You are my servant”;
I have chosen you and have not rejected you.
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
(Isaiah 41:9-10)

Claire is a freelance writer, speaker and editor, mum to two gorgeous children, pastor’s wife and worship leader. Her books include Taking off the mask: daring to be the person God created you to be, Cover to Cover: Ezekiel A prophet for all times, Cover to Cover: 1–3 John Walking in the truth, Cover to Cover: David: A man after God's own heart, Insight Into Managing Conflict, Insight Into Self-acceptance and Insight Into Burnout. Her latest addition to the Insight Guides series, An Insight into Shame, was published in May 2019 and she has just completed writing another Cover to Cover on Exodus as well as a devotional on disappointment and loss (due to be published this May). She is also writing a book on marriage alongside her husband. Claire regularly writes Bible study notes and magazine articles too, and is involved in the editorial processes for Families FirstPremier Christianity and Premier Woman Alive magazines. To find out more about her, please visit www.clairemusters.com  and @CMusters on Twitter. 

Comments

  1. If ever I needed to read about being fearless, it's today. Thank you Claire. That scripture was exactly what I needed to read today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, extremely helpful, Claire, and so much food for thought on a word I have often (almost) passed over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, Claire! Thank you - we need to be fearless these days more than ever. And I LOVE those verses. Thank you for reminding me about them today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Claire. Word of the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you've definitely tapped into the zeitgeist there, Claire!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment