Knitting it All Together


One of the few upsides of the Covid lockdowns for me was rediscovering my love of knitting. I first learned as a teenager but got out of the habit of knitting regularly when my children arrived, and sleepless nights put paid to my ability to count more than ten stitches at once. In the early summer of 2020, however, I clicked-clicked my way through numerous box-sets and Zoom quizzes. I even found that having something to do with my hands helped me focus through online sermons.

 One of my most satisfying projects – at least in retrospect – was knitting a shawl for my new granddaughter earlier this year. The middle of the process was rather more frustrating as I tried to work out whether the holes that had appeared were part of the delicate lacy pattern or a result of dropped stitches. (The low point was when I had to undo four rows to correct a mistake, an event which was accompanied by manic muttering and sighs of despair.) 

 

The writing journey – for me at least – usually encompasses similar highs and lows, along with moments when I ask myself why I ever thought this was a good idea in the first place. There’s an immense satisfaction when things work out and the words flow, but getting to that point can involve blood, sweat and tears – or at least, extreme exasperation. On close inspection, pieces that have taken hours to craft need picking apart and restarting. Good writing – like good knitting – means a careful weaving together of different parts and a structure that won’t fall apart as soon as it ventures out into the world.

 

Thinking about this analogy has helped me to remember that writing is a journey. I may not always welcome the detours and pitfalls along the way, but if I keep going, word by word I will get there. And if you believe that God has called you to write, then you will, too. 



Fiona Lloyd’s novel, The Diary of a (trying to be holy) Mum, was published by Instant Apostle in 2018. Fiona writes regularly for Together magazine, and also works for Christians Against Poverty.

 

Twitter: @FionaJLloyd & @FionaLloyd16



Comments

  1. This is an encouragement to me as I step forward into this autumn season of trying to get back into a routine of disciplined writing again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great analogy! I envy you the knitting skill. I have tried it many times only to find that I'm okay as long as things are going well but as soon as I drop a stitch or make a mistake, I can't find my way back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very timely article for me as I have just unpicked a plot outline and restiched it together. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A delightful blog, highlighting the highs and lows of not only knitting and writing, but also so many things about life itself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very lovely post, Fiona! Thank you.I love the idea that we journey in words , word by word! And if God has called us to it, He will definitely give us the grace for it. As for the skill of knitting, it escaped my hands. I wish I could learn to knit but I sure know the ache of rewriting paragraphs and chapters of writing! May God continue to help us all. Amen. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment