I'm the Culprit! by Joy Margetts

 



Hebrews 5:9

And having been perfected, He (Jesus) became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him,

 I was reading Hebrews 5 the other day and paused at this verse. The word ‘author’ jumped out at me. I have read this verse many times, I have described Jesus as the ‘Author of my Salvation’ before, I think I have even sung about it (Mighty to Save, Hillsong Worship). But on that particular day the word ‘author’ jumped out at me afresh and I felt the need to investigate further.

Why? I think because the word ‘author’ evokes such a confusing response in us as writers. We can get so hung up on the difference between two descriptors. Am I an author, or am I a ‘just’ a writer? As if being an author is somehow more prestigious. A title to aspire to. I said in an earlier post that we are the ‘Association of Christian Writers’, not the ‘Association of Christian Authors’. We seek to be a group that encourages all Christian Writers not only those who also happen to be authors.

In modern English a person can call themselves an ‘author’ when they have work published. But where did the word come from? What did it mean originally? You may well know all this but I reverted to a google search and this is what I discovered.

The etymology of our English word ‘author’, is the Latin ‘auctor’, which in turn derived from ‘augere’ which meant ‘increase, originate, promote’. It was thought that the ‘th’ was added in the 15th century, with influence from the word ‘authentic’.

I also went back to the Greek (online, I’m no scholar!) and the word used in Hebrews 5:9 is the word ‘aitios’, which means ‘to cause or be responsible for’. Of course this applies beautifully to Jesus, who through His obedience to the Father, and His love for us, went to the cross, died and rose again, to be the one responsible for, the ‘author’ of our salvation. As I read further however it seems that the same word, ‘aitios’ can also be translated as ‘the culprit’ or, ‘the accused’. That makes sense if you take it to mean the one responsible for the deed, whether that deed is good or bad.

This little word study got me thinking. If you are reading this and you have written anything. If you caused words to appear on paper. If it was you that was responsible for that work. Then in the truest sense you are the author of that piece of writing. You made it happen. In some cases you might even say you were the culprit (some of my writing could definitely be considered a crime!). Regardless of whether it is published or not, even if it is never read by anything else, you authored that piece of writing.



I don’t know whether that encourages you or not! I don’t particularly like labels when is comes to writing. Even though I have had work published I still feel more comfortable referring to myself as a writer rather than an author. I can remember when I first set up my website and wrote the word ‘Author’ after my name. It seemed pretentious at the time. Like I was claiming to be something I wasn’t - associating myself with a whole library full of much more famous writers than I.

I am grateful to be able to cause writing to happen, to be responsible for creating and increasing it. I love being able to call myself a writer. I am even more grateful to Jesus for being the author of my salvation, that allows me to call myself a 'Christian' writer. And maybe even to call myself a Christian author!

 Joy Margetts writes Christian Historical Fiction. Her debut novel 'The Healing' was published in March 2021, and her second ‘The Pilgrim’ in July 2022. Her third novel 'The Bride' will be published in October 2023. She is also in the process of publishing her first non-fiction book, an advent Devotional entitled 'Christ Illuminated'.

 Joy makes her home in beautiful North Wales and takes her inspiration from its rich spiritual history and stunning landscapes. She is also wife, mother and grandmother and a lover of the Word of God. Her personal blog and more information about her books can be found here www.joymargetts.com 

Comments

  1. I love the idea of us being culprits! Thanks for the post, Joy. Etymology is always fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran. You stand accused of writing some very good books!

      Delete
  2. You asked, 'I don't know whether that encourages you or not'. Yes it did. Thank you! The meanings of words, or the meaning contained in a word, is all important. Like you, I'll stick to writer, but your post has taken some of the sting out distinction between writer and author, published or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so glad it encouraged you, John. It did me too. Especially that I can also call myself the culprit at times! And laugh about it...

      Delete
  3. I love this Joy, the origins of words fascinate me and this is no exception!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I can get lost down rabbit trails if I'm not careful! I especially love looking at the Greek and Hebrew origins of words in Scripture. It adds so much to the meaning of verses.

      Delete
  4. Great post, Joy, love thinking about the origins of words - and I've had the same feelings about calling myself 'author' vs 'writer' - I'm getting there now but it still feels odd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, and you are definitely guilty of some amazing writing!

      Delete
  5. Such a fascinating blog Joy. Thank you for these thoughts. I personally struggled to call myself an author until my 5th book. Now, I simply encourage everyone to write and see where it may lead. My tongue is the pen of the ready writer (not author).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! But for me now every writer is an author!

      Delete
  6. Whoops! I am claiming to be more than I am? Oh dear: mis-labelled website? https://www.marihowardauthorandpainter.co.uk/ ???? Interesting... well yes I have published books - but nothing like the number of prolific authors - not like for example our ownFiona Veitch Smith (6 Poppy Denbys, already kicked off a second series featring Clara Vane...and more... and certainly no Jane Austen or Charles Dickens...) HOWEVER, I do jest here...I confess, my understanding of the two words, author and writer, has always been the opposite of Joy's here. I've always felt that to self-describe as a 'writer' is to join a category of the Greats - and I think, Earnest Hemingway and such - heavy writers, or Barbara Kingsolver, winner of well known prizes! People who shut themelves way and scruibble for hours on end, who occupy 'ivory towers'. Whom we revere for their style and learning... So... which is 'correct' and, more relevent perhaps, which, do we feel we are - and for what reason? Is it 'just' the word we first heard to describe people who write books, articles, etc, or is it actually that there is a difference? I'm wondering. Genuinely. Not being ironic, just amused that we can see the descriptions so differently...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clare. I agree that we think of the greats as great writers. I have just come across a lot of people who feel they are lesser writers if they can't also claim to be a published author. The dictionary defines author as someone published. I just wanted my post to encourage those who aspire to be authors but don't feel they are because their work hasn't been recognised.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful blog, Joy - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post Joy! I too have feit uncomfortable by both the writing and author titles because I know I don't measure up to the standards of certain writers and authors. All the same, most of my works bear my gratitude to the 'Author and Finisher of my faith'! Well, your post calls me to be proud of the fact that in our 'little' corner here in ACW, I can give the glory to God for being idetified as a Christian Writer! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent interpretation and research. This makes me rethink my own view on this topic. Many years ago I can recall arguing the term "writer" for the unpublished, but you have given me a much better perspective on this. Excellent post.

    By the way, I found this blog link from your post on Twitter. I rarely (if ever) get any response from my tweets promoting my blog posts, but for purposes of feedback it worked for you.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't logged in so my profile link didn't appear with the previous comment. This is Arlee Bird from https://tossingitout.blogspot.com/

      Delete

Post a Comment