There’s no defence against thick readers, by Ben Jeapes


Photo by cottonbro studio

I’m going to share something that blew my mind, and I just know you’re all going to say “Well, duh, of course, that’s how it’s always been.” In that case, well, the title of this piece can also refer to me.

I wish I could remember where I first heard this. It was very recently. I mentioned it to a friend, and he said excitedly, “Yes, I saw that too!” But he also couldn’t remember the source, even though we went through all the different sources of Christian input we enjoy.

Anyway. Matthew 13:44-46 – the parables of the hidden treasure and the pearl of great price. The gist of each is the same: a man finds something immensely valuable, and sells everything he has so that he can purchase it. This apparently describes the kingdom of heaven.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve always read this as the kingdom of heaven being the field or pearl, and we being the lucky finder who sells everything to get it. Translation: the kingdom of heaven is worth our giving up everything for. But the alternative version I heard turned this on its head. We are the pearl or field; Jesus is the one who gave up everything to claim us for his own.

I’m not sure how I’ve managed to reach the grand age of … well, 21 + VAT, plus or minus, without hearing this version, but frankly I prefer it. Possibly because suddenly the onus to do anything is on Jesus (usually it’s on us), but also because … well. We’re approaching Christmas, and you can never have too many reasons to remember why he came.

But also – hey, I’ve been there too. I picture Matthew sitting up in Heaven, staring in disbelief at all the thick readers who just don’t get it. Sadly, there comes a point for any author where this happens, and all you the author can do is say, well, I tried. Even if, in Matthew’s case, he was inspired by the Holy Spirit in the writing.

But then, this is no bad thing. If you want to see something exactly as its creator intended, go and watch a film. With a book, when you have X thousand readers then you create X thousand versions of what you are saying, because each and every one of them will picture it differently.

The kingdom of heaven is like this: it is so mind-blowing that there can be no one way to describe it. God gave us written scripture rather than a movie precisely so that, thousands of years later, we’re still seeing something new in it. All the time.

Let’s hear it for thick readers. We get there, eventually.



Ben Jeapes took up writing in the mistaken belief that it would be easier than a real job (it isn’t). Hence, as well as being the author of eight novels and co-author of many more, he has also been a journal editor, book publisher, and technical writer. His most recent title is a children’s biography of Ada Lovelace. www.benjeapes.com

Comments

  1. Lovely post and really mind blowing.Wow!! What an inspiration. I have never thought of it like this as well. Indeed, our Lord Jesus left everything, even gave up His life just to get 'us' the precious field, pearl, etc You have made my day. It really makes sense now, clearly, Lord Jesus was definitely talking about Himself in that parable as well as to us. Thank you so much for this revelation! The Bible is new every second! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the exact same revelation from those parables just about a year ago! From someone who was no theologian but had just always seen them that way. I love it too! God is forever surprising me with His Word and I've been reading it a long time. I also love it when people see things in your writing that you never thought of! Thanks Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! I love that. I felt the same about Neh 8:10: the joy of the Lord s your strength. When I realised that His joy in us is far more weighty and consistent than ours in him (dependent on a gzillion things that fluctuate), it was a relief and a revelation! Let's hear it for thick readers., indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I am doing the Advent Writing Plan, and copying out some of the verses, I'm amazed at how much I must have missed certain lines! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment