Going Out on the Streets

Those of you who have met me have probably gone away with an impression of a fairly outgoing, confident, gobby loquacious person. The kind of woman who can talk to anyone, is never lost for words and who is rarely silent. And to a certain extent, that’s true. I don’t know if I was born extroverted, but my childhood and teenage years made me into a shy, reserved, unsure introvert. It was only when I ran away at eighteen and started living my own life that the beginnings of the Ruth you know today started to fight their way out. 

It was quite a few years ago that I started realising that God wanted me to evangelise and that He was giving me the tools to do it. From my baptism in the mid-90s onwards, I obeyed Him and found myself able to chat to people about faith. 

I’ve done all kinds of things in the church since I became a Christian thirty years ago. One of my all time favourites was being a youth leader at Buckhurst Hill Baptist Church in Essex. As a team, we worked incredibly well together and nearly all of our youth have gone on to work in churches or faith environments. One of them, Lauren, founded Kingdom Living Ministries, training and equipping people to walk more closely with God. Based in a church in Enfield, they do amazing things in their community and beyond. 

I hadn’t seen Lauren for years, although we stayed in touch on Facebook. Meeting up again earlier this year at the funeral of a lady we’d been at BHBC with, we chatted as if not a minute had gone by. I’m so proud of her. I’ve known her since she was five and have seen her grow into an incredible woman of God. 

I was delighted when she invited me to come and give a talk to the KLM team. Whenever this happens, my natural optimism comes to the fore and I over-pack with books. Clutching my suitcase, I boarded the train from Ipswich to London with every intention of doing some work. God had other plans. I sat next to a lady who’d just moved from London to Suffolk and we talked all the way to Liverpool Street. At every point on the journey, I found myself having unexpected conversations and chatting to strangers on the street. I reached KLM HQ, pulling my book-loaded suitcase behind me. I don’t quite know what I’d expected, but it wasn’t this. 

Lauren: “Ruth! Hi! How are you?”

Me: “Great thanks! So good to see you. I just need to pop to the loo.”

Lauren: “OK, dump your suitcase in the main hall and then we’ll go out and do some street evangelising.” 

After the briefest of visits to the said loo, I found myself trotting down the road with Lauren and Hosanna, one of the team. As a long-established believer and the former youth leader of KLM’s founder, naturally, I should have been aglow with excitement and ready to importune anyone who crossed my path. Instead, unsure of what I was going to have to do, I visualised squads of us handing out tracts and engaging dubious passers-by in deep spiritual conversations.

I should have known better. Once a month, KLM stand in the very centre of Enfield Town and encourage people to walk along between them while they clap and cheer. It’s all about celebrating people for who they are, whatever that might be. I wasn’t sure how much good I was going to be, but it wasn’t long before I was clapping and cheering and beaming at everyone who ran or walked through our two lines. Bus drivers waved, police cars slowed down to give us a smile and a beep, and young mums with prams, school children, elderly couples, ladies with shopping trolleys, delivery drivers and postmen smiled and laughed as they walked between the two lines of clapping KLM-ers. 

We carried on for about an hour and just as we stopped, two ladies came up to us and asked if we could reform for one final round of applause. We walked back to the church, palms sore from clapping and Lauren and Hosanna told me that for the two weeks after each visit, the mood in the town centre is lifted and the feeling completely different. God is at work. 

Back at the ranch, I laid out my books and got ready for my talk. I hadn’t written a single word, or made a note, or even thought about what I would say. I’ve done enough talks to know when God has a plan. This was one of those days. Sure enough, after some earnest praying in the loo, I stood up and marvelled as just the right words came out, not mine, but His. It was wonderful to be able to speak so honestly about faith and leading and how God has worked in my life. Afterwards, every author’s dream came true as the team came up and bought books until I had only two left in my suitcase. 

Praise the Lord. I don’t say it often enough and I am so guilty of doing things in my own strength. God meant me to spend that day in Enfield with a group of people passionate about Him and fully using all their gifts. I was there as a writer but I have to say, I enjoyed my first foray into street evangelism. Something tells me it won’t be my last. 

If you’d like to find out more about KLM, you can visit their website: https://kingdomlivingministries.co.uk/

Images by Pixabay

Ruth is a novelist and freelance writer, the author of “The Diary of Isabella M Smugge”, “The Trials of Isabella M Smugge” and “The Continued Times of Isabella M Smugge”. She writes for a number of businesses and charities and blogs at ruthleighwrites.co.uk. She has abnormally narrow sinuses and a morbid fear of raw tomatoes, but has decided not to let this get in the way of a meaningful life. You can find her on Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and Twitter at ruthleighwrites and at her website, www.ruthleighwrites.co.uk.


Comments

  1. Lovely post,lovely experience,Ruth! I also attend am a Baptist Chirch member like you!As I read through your piece, I remembered, ' God moves in a mysterious way, His wonders to perform' - words for a hymn in Songs of Praise. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to be back with the Baptists I have to say! Blessings back at you, Sophia

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful example of street evangelism! Very different to the sort of thing most people associate with it. 'Gobby' - no, surely not. That's the word that stood out most for me - perhaps because you had crossed it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a bit gobby, to be fair. I was doing a talk at our local high school recently and taught them the words "loquacious" and "loquacity" to replace "gobby". I ran into a couple of the students at an event and they said they'd remembered those words and used them all the time. Which was nice.

      Delete
  3. As someone who would rather go to Mars than do street evangelism, that sounds wonderful! Really inspiring, Ruth, thank you. It's true though - if we step out in faith, the Spirit goes with us (and before us). I love being an Anglican lay minister but have pretty strong Baptist leanings, the Dissenting tradition is in my DNA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would normally. But the Lines of Celebration were such fun and see faces lighting up and people laughing on the street was just wonderful. Also a card carrying Dissenter and I could live with this kind of thing. When I heard the phrase "street evangelism" I immediately thought dour, serious, righteous. It was exactly the opposite

      Delete
  4. What an inspiring post! We so need people like you in the world Ruth. I love the applause thing. We do something similar in school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Ruth, this is so lovely to read! Praise the Lord indeed. Love that he came through for you - he always does!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for telling us this story Ruth. I've always been sceptical about the value of street evangelism, maybe because I'm an introvert and struggle to see myself doing it but also because I've never really seen it done with any success, although I'm sure there are great examples and I admire those who get out there. However, I love the idea of the clapping and appreciating people, I can see why that would be so impactful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always got a story, David. Sometimes more than one. I was a bit shy at first but I soon got into it. There are great examples and the picture of a cross shouty person on a box waving their finger is (hopefully) a million miles away from real evangelism.

      Delete
  7. The fact that you can chat to anyone about anything makes you an instant candidate for a natural evangelist, I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose that overflowing loquacity of mine does help with the jolly old evangelising

      Delete
  8. What a great story, Ruth. I loved my times of evangelism with London City Mission and Operation Mobilisation too. Some of the best times of my life I would say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful. I suspect there will be more of this kind of thing in the future. KLM gave some amazing prophecies too. They'll be at the next British Christian Writers conference in Cambridge

      Delete
  9. Fantastic story! I especially like the fact that you gave out and met the needs of others first, before having your need to sell books met. I hope it was a big suitcase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brendan. That hadn't occurred to me. It was a medium sized suitcase filled to the gunwales. It felt so great returning home with just the 2 books and the lady I met on the train came to my next event and bought the Diary. God was really in charge. And I had sushi for lunch. Come on!

      Delete
  10. I love this... What a lovely thing to share with us! So uplifting, just what I needed...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted to hear that, Maressa. We were halfway through the street evangelising and I thought to myself "This blog is going to write itself."

      Delete

Post a Comment