Gift by Emily Owen

 Let me tell you about a gift I received recently.

It arrived, unexpectedly, in my inbox.

I didn’t know who it was from.

I didn’t recognise the sender’s email address.

Attached to the email was a video.

The video was of a six-year-old girl.

I didn’t recognise her, either.

She was reading aloud from a book.

A book I did recognise.

Also Made.

ALT: Book Cover 'Also Made - A Star Called Reeva'

The gift was special on many levels:

-          - They’d taken time to make the video

-          -  They’d sent it to me

-          -  She read it beautifully, with great fluency and expression

She read words I’d written.

Words I’d only written because God gave them to me.

I hesitate to suggest that every single word I type is directly given to me from God.

I imagine He’d use fewer ‘reallys’ or ‘thats’, for one thing.

But, as Christian writers, we aim to read – and then write – the essence of God’s heart.

Occasionally, the girl did hesitate over a word.

She paused.

When that happened, someone off camera prompted her.

Someone who the girl automatically turned to whenever she got stuck.

Someone who the girl knew was there all the time.

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.

John 1:14

May we automatically turn to Him, in our lives and in our writing.

Turn to Him in our struggles.

The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

John 1:5

Perhaps we walk in the darkness at the moment.

Someone beckons to us through the gloom…..

Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!

2 Corinthians 9:15

Comments

  1. That’s beautiful! Such a wonderful gift and lovely parallel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful. What a moving experience for you as the author. Thank you for your uplifting words. Sheila (aka SC Skillman)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely, Emily, and your book looks beautiful. What a gift indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous. Thank you Emily for these beautiful words of blessing x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such a lovely gift, Emily! Thank God you didn't throw it away as junk mail! Lovely post. Thanks for your words of encouragement too. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment