A good ending



Image by Sarah Richter from Pixabay


What makes for a satisfying ending to a story?

I recently watched a film on Netflix which I enjoyed but also left me feeling somewhat dissatisfied. The Wonder is based on a novel by Emma Donaghue, who also wrote Room (neither of which I’ve read). Set in Ireland in 1862, the film stars Florence Pugh as an English nurse who travels to rural Ireland to observe a young girl who is fasting from food, yet somehow miraculously surviving. The girl is seen as a saint by her devout family and her rural community, but the nurse – who has secrets of her own – uncovers the dark truth behind this apparent miracle. The shadow of the Great Irish Famine hangs heavily over the brooding Irish landscape and the taciturn villagers who are innately suspicious of the English visitor in their midst. I have seen a famine cemetery, on the coastal road leading through the Burren in County Clare, and the pathetic little stones in the silent churchyard marking the final resting places of the famine dead looked to me like accusations. As well they should, given that it was my people, the English, who bore considerable responsibility for the terrible suffering.

The film is worth watching, not least for Florence Pugh’s compelling performance and for the gorgeous cinematography. However, I had an issue with the film’s conclusion which prevented the ending from being completely satisfying. I can’t say whether it’s true to the author’s intent because I’ve not read her book, and I won’t say what it was in case you want to see the film.

I can often find endings in current films and books unsatisfying. Morally ambivalent, or not tying up loose ends strongly enough. Whereas I could quote any number of classic novels which have strong and deeply memorable endings, even if they’re not happy ones. (One of my favourite endings is the haunting final line of Wuthering Heights). Speaking personally, I don’t need an ending to be happy, but I do like a story to be humane and compassionate and not completely devoid of hope. The Christian faith balances reality with hope and redemption, and as a Christian writer (and reader), that’s what I find satisfying in stories. Also speaking as a Christian writer (and reader), I don’t want slick, easy answers either in fiction or theology. Give me characters who struggle and who have a substantial character arc. I can cope with quite a lot of darkness and pain in films and books, as long as there is a substantive streak of redemption, and of compassion for the human condition. I would hope to strike those important notes in my own writing.

(There is also a place for comfort writing and reading, and maybe that's a subject for a future post.)



I am the administrator for the education and learning department of the United Reformed Church. I am also an Anglican lay minister. I wrote a devotional for the anthology Light for the Writer’s Soul published by Media Associates International, and my short story ‘Magnificat’ appears in the ACW Christmas anthology Merry Christmas Everyone.

Comments

  1. So agree with your final paragraph. I would add, also, that as a Christian writer, I want to respect all the characters, even the 'bad' ones: and I try to do this in my own work. Books in first person which self-depreciate I find very unsatisfying (especially from Christian authors) , though this does seem to be a favourite English trait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, was trying to do 'new paragraph' but it closed the comment above! I was asking, Do you think you may read the book now, the one the film is from, to discover the original ending? Might be worthwhile to compare, since films rarely keep to the original for various reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clare, yes, I might get round to it! So many other books on my list though.

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, Philippa! I too love comedies in books and films.I consciously always try to make sure I do this in my writing. However, if it has to be a sad ending because life happens , do just that. And like you said, as long as one brings out the redemptive message, it is worth the writing! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your word picture of the accusing gravestones will stay with me for a while! I love Room, one of my favourite novels, but haven't heard of this one. It sounds fantastic, but I know what you mean about endings. I don't like them to be slick and neat. Wuthering Heights and I Capture the Castle are two of my favourite endings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, the ending to I Capture the Castle is an absolute blinder! Loved that book when I read it at age 16, and it has a special place in my heart.

      Delete
    2. I wrote a poem about that famine cemetery and will think about sharing it. That lonely churchyard overlooking the Atlantic will stay with me forever. The west coast of Ireland is absolutely incredible ... a very powerful landscape.

      Delete
  5. How things end is important. My wife just finished a book that effectively required the reader to purchase the next one to find out what happened! That's not fair, is it? An author has a responsibility to make each book stand alone and deliver an outcome to whatever questions have been posed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing, and I agree, I feel so sad if there is no gospel hope in a book... It feels so empty and futile in that case!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment