Writing Likes and Dislikes

We all have our writing likes and dislikes.  My favourite likes include being lost in the world I’ve created, falling in love (a little) with my characters, when that line comes out just as well as I’d hoped, and when I know I've set a cracking pace.  That dialogue rips along.  That narrative keeps me gripped so imagine the effect it will have on other readers!  At least that is what I tell myself…  I refuse to believe that is just me incidentally!



Good and Bad.  Image via Pixabay
As for dislikes, these include words that are easy to mix up (affect and effect, anyone?  I always have to check those), never having as much time as I’d like for writing (ring any bells?), and when those lines stubbornly won’t come out as well as I thought they should!  I doubt I’m alone in feeling irked at that last one.

If in doubt, consult the dictionary.  Image via Pixabay
The only thing I have found helped with overcoming the dislikes was (a) going to the dictionary for affect and effect, (b) making good use of the time I do have and when I can squeeze in more writing to do so, and (c) accept every writer goes through this.  Not only that, a darned good edit or several should make those lines much better than what you originally wrote, so that is okay.

When is your writing time?  Image via Pixabay
My writing time is spent at a desk that is nowhere near as elegant as this one!  Pixabay image

 St. Paul talks about not thinking of ourselves more highly than we ought and that applies to our writing too.  The focus must be on what the reader will feel on reading your work.  Does it engage with them as you intended?  Does it make the impact you want?  This is where trusted beta readers (especially for longer works) are invaluable. 


Ah!  The familiar sight of the editing pen.  Image via Pixabay

Sadly, this is also a familiar sight.  Image via Pixabay

I have sometimes recorded myself reading a longer piece of work and playing it back later.  I’ve found it makes it easier for me to come to the piece as a listener, as if I was tuning into it on the radio (if only!), but that is when I can hear if the work does have the impact I want.  If it doesn’t impact on me as I planned, it won’t for anyone else.  I’ve also been able to work out what I like and dislike about the piece as it stands. Then of course my next task is to sort out the problems so hopefully there is nothing about it to dislike when a reader comes to it. 


Are you lost in the world of your story?  Pixabay image
Elmore Leonard when asked about writing, replied, “My most important piece of advice to all you would-be writers: when you write, try to leave out all the parts readers skip.”.  It is one of my favourite writing quotations.  The way to do it is to appraise your work as if you had not written it and be honest about what you dislike about it.  Is there anything to dislike?  Is there anything that could be improved?  The answer to that is almost certainly “yes”.  Happy editing!

Entering the world of your story.  Pixabay image

Comments

  1. Some great advice here. I especially like the tip about reading out your work and listening back to it. And I love the Elmore Leonard quote.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment