Let them eat (decent) cake by Jane Clamp


I have had a tremendous healing this summer in the area of cake, which I’d love to share with you…



My younger son, Rob, is a chef. This should be a glorious thing, and it would be if I were one of his friends or his customers. However, since I am only his mother, and he promptly more or less left home as soon as he qualified, I have not received as many benefits as I would have liked. More than that, his skill in the kitchen has reduced the perception of my own culinary skill to the size of a cumin seed.



As I prepared for my book launch in August, I had everything planned and delegated. Catering would be no problem with Rob in charge! However, I hadn’t factored in that he would be starting a new job so although he was free to help on the day, it would fall to me to actually do the cooking. Hmm…



(Many years ago, as a new housewife, I was bemoaning to a church friend my pitiful scones. Despite watching my mum make them most weeks as I grew up, mine remained flat and disappointing. National-Trust-worthy they were not. He asked me to make him a batch and I handed them over with a kind of “you see what I mean?” He asked how many I’d made. “24” I said – and none of them edible. “How many did the recipe say it would make?” I wrinkled my nose and thought for a moment. “I think it said 8.”)



The batch cooking began in earnest, the day before the event. I was nervous, but keen. No disasters so far. Then, around lunchtime, Rob came home, and things changed. It was still me doing the work, but his presence in the kitchen made all the difference. Together we peered at the rising sponges through the glass oven door. Together we decided when they were done. Having him confirm my opinions gave me confidence. I produced the best Victoria sandwich of my life - hence the beaming smile in the photo - because a chef oversaw the work.



Writing is so much like this! We read the work of others, like we’re tucking into a renowned café’s scone, and long to get the same results when we write. Somehow our words don’t compare. We doubt ourselves, question our skill. What are we wasting our time for when we’ll never be another Charles Dickens or Jane Austen? Forget our own masterpiece, let’s just be content with being a reader of others’.



But, just when you thought you were on your own, the master Author steps in. He stands just behind your desk, not interfering, but peering over your shoulder at the page. His presence calms you. If you’re stuck on a phrase, he’s there to ask. In harness with the expert, you can produce something that will metaphorically roll around the mouth of your audience. The burden is not yours to bear alone.


“Taste and see that the Lord is good.”



Jane Clamp is the author of Too Soon, a mother's journey through miscarriage (SPCK). She writes regularly for radio and a local church news bulletin. She is ACW Groups' Coordinator and leader of the 
Norfolk-based local group,Brecks, Fens and Pens.

Comments

  1. Wonderful! I love 'But, just when you thought you were on your own, the master Author steps in. He stands just behind your desk, not interfering, but peering over your shoulder at the page. His presence calms you.' This is so true and great to be reminded of. Thank you for a lovely, encouraging post just as I'm about to start my writing today, Janey x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it hit the spot, Deborah! I trust you got some great writing done...

      Delete
  2. Having had a scone disaster of my own at the weekend, this made me smile. Great post. And very encouraging. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I aim to set aside some time, soon, to work on the perfect scone. After I've met the day's word count, of course...

      Delete

Post a Comment