Finishing the Race



By Rosemary Johnson

When people ask me about my writing, I shuffle my feet and look at the floor.  My ACW friends are placing their newly minted novels, with the delicious odour of new paper, on the books table at ACW Writers Days, but I have nothing to put on there.  I mumble something about writing a historical novel. 
“So what is it about, Rosemary?”  Cue, polite smile.
“Solidarity…  you know, the Polish trade union.”  Another polite smile, as its wearer thinks to himself/herself, “Wasn’t she writing that book last time I asked?”
I have been writing this novel, on and off, for ten years.  Every time I have this conversation, and at other times too, I vow to finish it soon.  Very soon.  I’ve set myself deadlines which have been and gone.  The current deadline is thirty-first October… so that I can start another novel for NaNoWriMo in November.  Am I crazy?  Yes, probably, but I am on the third edit.
Other things have got in the way of this novel, real things, not just Facebook and the other putting-off ruses that hit us as soon as we log on our computers.  Work has been the main obstacle.  I retired from full-time teaching three years ago, but I’ve taken on three part-time jobs.  Silly me.  Church also needs me; I'm PCC secretary and I preach occasionally.  And grandchildren need looking after from time to time.  It all adds up, and, often when a window for writing does appear, I'm exhausted.  Nikki Salt’s post on Saturday (8 September) was about not having enough time.  She struck a chord, with me, and, probably, with many of us.
Yet, over the last few weeks, some windows have opened.  I’ve prayed about my writing, for time and energy, and that my novel, and indeed everything I write, will glorify God.  Our vicar tells us to pray with expectation.  Often, if we’re honest, we don’t expect.  We dump our worries on Him.  “See if you can sort this one out, Lord.” 
He has done, for me, many times.  The job which consumes most of my time is teaching part-time in adult education and throughout last year I was wondering whether or not to resign, but I didn’t.  To be honest, I didn’t get around to it, too busy.  So, at the end of August, I was looking at a timetable of five classes per week, on different days, in different centres involving long drives there and back, and each requiring preparation.  Whether advertised classes actually run depends on enrolments, but, so far, two of the courses I was to teach have been cancelled due to lack of numbers and I'm anticipating two more being pulled on Friday.  God has taken things in hand.  He has taken me in hand, my dithering and my commitment.  Now, I must make use of His gifts.
To paraphrase 2 Timothy 4:7, I haven’t finished the race yet.  I am still fighting the good fight and keeping the faith.

Rosemary Johnson has had many short stories published, in print and online, amongst other places, The Copperfield Review, Circa and Every Day Fiction.  In real life, she is a part-time IT tutor, living in Suffolk with her husband and cat.  Her cat supports her writing by sitting on her keyboard and deleting large portions of text.  

Comments

  1. I recognise that juggling act of family, energy, church and work! I drafted my blog for tomorrow on my tablet while on holiday with the family - and lost it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, Tish, oh dear. That’s the sort of thing that might happen to me!

      Delete
  2. So pleased to hear some windows of time are opening up for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for it Rosemary! And thank you for encouraging me to, as well 🙂 Great post x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment