The art of writing MTW? by Nicky Wilkinson


 ‘The art of writing is discovering what you believe…’ Gustav Flaubert.

I try to read through all the MTW’s in a month. Initially, I did it to get a broad feel for what the norm was (there isn’t one). Latterly, I read them to learn more, get ideas, be encouraged, or just rub shoulders with increasingly familiar contributors, who, as they open their hearts and share their journeys felt more like friends—some even chat to you in the comments. Styles are so diverse; and narratives lead from mountains to valleys, beaches to buildings, communicating courage and craft. Certain blogs have grabbed me in particular: Jane Walter’s edit lessons (because I need them!) – my take-away was ‘kicking the ball’, not ‘the ball being kicked’). Joy Margett wrote ruefully about not coming first at the CRT awards ceremony for her novel, invoking compassion and making me ponder fame and success. Various shouts of exhilaration at final proofs making publication; I rejoiced and was spurred on. 

When I was being trained to write for MTW, I was steered away from too much devotional content. I liked leading some prayer on the committee, but I was warned away from the temptation to remain in my comfort zone. What was wanted was my writing craft (and Jesus) that is relevant to the readers, so I try to be economic with scriptural references and reflective of the craft. But I love that God is always by my side as I write, encouraging me forward to ‘take the land’, like in Joshua 1. The other day, as I was having one of my blogs edited, I was reminded “not to be too polished —it’s a blog”. Ah yes, maybe true, but I think I could trigger a national therapist overload from grammatical sticklers. So a little editing is not a dangerous thing and I’m always fascinated by what I overlook. (Did you know your computer can read your work back to you? —courtesy of the CRT Author Track session.) I really appreciate the funny blogs. So I googled how to write with more wit. Titles competed for my attention like, ‘how to be funny’, ‘10 tips on being hilarious’, ‘work on your wit’ ‘tips on being more humorous (with

pictures)’… you begin to wonder who the equivalent of Tripadvisor for laughter is? Having poured over various articles, I’m none the wiser as they were not funny – though mishearing my husband was. When he offered me coffee in the ‘Texan one’ I thought he said he was putting his tights on! 


If the art of writing is discovering what you really believe, today I believe in love, investment, wisdom, and truth. 

I respond to heartfelt writing and feel a sense of fraternity. 

If grammar makes sense of what I am trying to say, I’d better master it. 

Google humour ‘experts’ are not necessarily as funny as your spouse.

But mostly what I believe is: I’m in this because God wants me here.





Comments

  1. Lovely post, Nicky! Thanks for the humour, new ideas and info like I didn't know computers could read back to people! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicola Wilkinson10 October 2024 at 07:04

    Bless you! Glad it was useful! Thank you for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done, Nicky. You pose an issue for consideration and take us on a thoughtful journey. Then your belief becomes clear, like an open blue sky, as per Flaubert quotation.

    I love how you articulate with precision, warmth, art, emotional openness and humour.

    People who communicate with you one-on-one are blessed – but will be limited in number. You can reach so many more souls as a Christian writer. It is obvious to me, too, that writing is what God wants you to do.

    And Go! with your sense of humour :). Your husband in tights!
    Camilla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicola Wilkinson14 October 2024 at 15:57

      Thank you so much!! Xx

      Delete

Post a Comment