Searching for a different perspective: Thoughts on the ACW Autumn Gathering, by Natasha Woodcraft

There have been a few mentions of ACW's Autumn gathering already on this blog, and I imagine there shall be more before the month is out. So, I may as well join in. At said gathering, one of the tasks Paul Kerensa set was considering familiar stories – biblical, fairytale or otherwise – from a different perspective. It made me think of Roald Dahl’s Revolting Rhymes which informed my childhood. I was a Missionary Kid. We didn’t have the Disney versions of fairytales – we had a tattered old copy of Revolting Rhymes. 

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4468220

The Roald Dahl versions of fairytales were all I knew. I genuinely thought that Cinderella married a jam-maker, and Red Riding Hood shot the wolf with a pistol. We even put the rhymes on as stage shows in front of the other families. At the tender age of five or six, I got to be the beanstalk in Jack and the... It was a proud moment, though I’m sure I wasn’t tall enough.


I digress. The task set at the ACW gathering led to an interesting discussion between myself and Joanna Watson. Joanna suggested writing the story of Joseph from the perspective of Potiphar’s wife – wouldn’t that be different? It was a great idea. Unfortunately I had to inform her that someone has already done this – the lovely Mesu Andrews over in the States. Another suggested writing Noah’s Ark from the perspective of Noah’s wife – yup, someone’s done that too (Jill Eileen Smith if you want to know.) 


Biblical Fiction is my principle genre, so this discussion excited me. I’m always keeping an eye on new releases. Many are still tackling the familiar stories from a familiar perspective, but increasingly, I’m seeing more unusual different perspective ideas emerging. The range of stories being written is also increasing. Rahab, Ruth, Esther, Joseph, David et al have all been covered multiple times, but other characters are starting to see the light of day.


Roald Dahl, of course, did very well writing stories that were outlandishly different perspective. Can we hope to replicate his success by exploring this idea? Is success even something we should seek, as Christian writers?


I get lots of emails, and see many ads, about book marketing. Something I’ve been seeing a lot recently is about the need to write to market. The theory is this: You can achieve self-publishing success if you choose a really popular genre and you write into that genre all the things its readers love to read about. Then you fill your blurb with searchable tropes and people will find your book.


Great. *Excuse me while I puke*


Forgive me, but I can’t hack it. If that is what success looks like, then I don’t want it. For what’s the point of writing if you’re writing the same thing as everyone else? Isn’t originality at the heart creativity? Additionally, if we consider the classics, writing that stands the test of time is that which challenges the status quo.


Don’t get me wrong – I’m not saying that we shouldn’t consider what our readers want. Of course we should. That’s essential. I’m asking – what are we writing for? Why are we doing this?


When I started writing, it was an idea I believe God gave me (if it's not too pretentious to say so). It was a different perspective idea. No-one else to my knowledge has ever written a story where Cain is the protagonist. Sure, he’s featured in novels about Adam and Eve, but he’s not been the MC.


Is it hard to market? Oh yes, it is. Is it hard to categorise? Yes, it is. Eden didn’t pick up my first edition at all, and, despite correct metadata, Amazon shoved it in suspense and crime thrillers, because it was ‘about murder.’ (I can’t deny that features, but it’s hardly the main point.) It’s taken a lot of work to get The Wanderer Scorned seen in the right places. I can’t even write a blurb that follows the rules, because blurbs are meant to encourage your reader to root for your MC, and mine is an anti-hero. 


Yet, I believe God wanted me to write it. So I did. And I loved it! Though it’s tough getting people interested in the concept, if I can get readers past page one, they come away loving it too.


I LOVE writing. That’s why I write. If I was writing to market, doing all the things I should be doing to get success, would I love it? No, I don't think I would. 


In summary, if God tells you to write a new perspective – please do it! If you already are, please share it with me in the comments. I promise I wont steal your idea. 


Additionally, it’s always worth reminding yourself why you are doing something. Why do you write? If it's not for success, then dont let that become your idol, no matter how many marketing emails you get. I say that with repentance in my heart – for I know it's easier said than done.




Natasha Woodcraft lives in a slightly crumbling farmhouse in Lincolnshire with her husband, four sons and a menagerie of animals. She believes stories have power to communicate deep truth and transform lives. Her published novels, The Wanderer Scorned & The Wanderer Reborn, explore God’s redemptive purposes for messy people by reimagining the tale of Cain & Abel. Also a songwriter, Natasha peppers her emotional prose with poetry and song. 


Comments

  1. Oh what a lovely post, Natasha! Thank you for your encouragement and advice as always. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment