The End is (nearly) in Sight by Jane Walters

If anyone else here is as old (or as lacking in discernment in viewing as me), you may remember a terrible Australian soap opera called Sons and Daughters. The acting was pretty amateur, though it fared better production-wise than its ratings rival The Young Doctors. There, the lighting guy was clearly a keen, eager-to-impress kind of chap, making sure he held the rig so close to the actors that it glared off their shiny foreheads and made their skin look not just white but positively iridescent.

Anyway, back to Sons and Daughters. After an interminably long run, time was finally called on the show and I – naturally – tuned into the last ever episode. Within the allotted thirty minutes, every single character had their story-line neatly tied up, every crisis was either averted or resolved, every relationship placed on solid ground. No question was left unanswered (except “why am I watching this drivel?”) and the half dozen loyal followers of the show could rest easy, knowing all was well. Implausibly, but definitely, well.

I’m on the last chapter of the novel I’m currently writing and it’s time for me to move everything on towards its natural conclusion. My previous daily prayer of “Unleash your words in me, O Lord” still applies, though the unleashing is more of a trickle than a gush. If this were a sewing-machine-made garment, I would be at the nit-picky hand-stitching stage. To continue the analogy, my thread keeps knotting and tangling and sometimes I can’t see to even thread the needle. It’s tempting to walk away, leave it for a while, but I want to learn how to negotiate these harder phases so I press on, tiptoeing through the process.

Sons and Daughters wanted to sew everything up, neat and tidy, no loose ends. My experience, though, is that life is rarely like that. (My own has been particularly unkempt these last few months.) If I want my work to be authentic and to both inform and reflect daily life, then I must shun the temptation to rush this final stage. The final thousand words will be those that make or break the previous ones.

What a burden it is sometimes to be a writer!

A verse springs to mind, somewhat out of context, “who, for the joy set before Him, endured the cross…”

Isn’t that why we put up with the stress and the mental fatigue and all the other frustrations? Because of the joy of finishing?

Next month, I hope to be able to report that joy is, indeed, abounding!


 

 Jane Walters leads 2 ACW groups in Norfolk and leads creative writing retreats further afield. She is signed to Intersaga Literary Agency.


Comments

  1. Right there with you Jane! You've reminded me of one of my favourite films, Soapdish, set around an appalling daytime soap called The Sun Also Sets where people would be written out then return under bizarre circumstances. None of it was authentic, which was what made it funny. There is such a temptation to give everyone a happy ending and turn them into a good person. But it doesn't work. God bless you as you work through this final month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth. I'll look out for that film, it sounds hilarious!

      Delete
  2. Loving this, Jane. I know, life is never neatly tied up with a nice bow. Yet, do readers want a ending where ever question is answered? It's a balancing act between authenticity and pleasing the readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read books that finish inconclusively and the author then has to answer endless online enquiries to explain what really happened. I don't fancy having to do that...

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this, Jane. It gives me more food for thought for my mental health memoir and hope for that moment when the end is in sight!

    Wishing every success for the final dash to the finish! Hope to catch up sometime, xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. I'll be crossing the line on my knees and having blankets thrown over me, no doubt...

      Delete
  4. but do try t o enjoy the writing... it's a chance to enter another world... whereas this one is a bit dreary right now... !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Clare, although my fictional world is a bit stressful, too, at the moment! Hopefully the plot will resolve at the same time as my literal house move...

      Delete
  5. Agree with Wendy. It's a balance between saying it like it is and helping readers to feel enough ends are tied to their satisfaction. Awkward one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awkward is my middle name. Or could easily be, via deed poll. lol.

      Delete
  6. So true and so hard to get right, but if anyone can, you can, Janey! Godspeed with this xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog post is perfect timing, Janey, as my next post is about beginning a novel. Godspeed indeed, and may the words flow like a babbling brook x

    ReplyDelete
  8. i do understand the desire to just get it finished though - sort of reminds me of that last few hours of giving birth! lol. And of course it is worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment