In the beginning...


Photo by Lachlan Gowen on Unsplash

No, this isn't a post about the book of Genesis. It's about the latest prompt from the Alpha writers group that I'm a part of. 

 This will be my third year with them and this prompt is a lot better than the one for last year, which was rewrite the lyrics for the National Anthem! That did not go well. 

This is the latest prompt... 

Challenge two: In the Beginning…

Write the first 300 words (opening paragraph(s)) of your new novel…there are some rules however.

1. The setting is either in a Cathedral or in an underground tube station

2. Genre: Either thriller or speculative fiction.

3. Point of view: First person perspective (main protagonist) or third person omniscient…

Don't forget, as its the opening paragraph, remember to hook your reader in...so something that captures the attention of the reader right away – such as a quote, description, question or intriguing statement.

So how do you begin a novel? A thriller that is? I know some of you have done this, and very well,  Wendy and Annie Try, to name just a few of our excellent writers.

I'm curious as to how you would tackle this challenge. Have you ever considered writing a novel before? 

Are you a planner or a pantser? 

This is a perfect opportunity for me to write a book. Should I sketch out the plot and outcome of my novel or just dive in and see what happens? 

I'm definitely a pantser. When I started writing this post, I didn't have a plot, and I didn't' feel I'd be able to get past 48 words but I wrote and amazingly the words came, and now I have plot.

So far I've written 48 words, now it's getting a little more challenging. I've already shared those words with a fellow writer, whose working on two novels, and she was very positive and said that she's eager to read more. She also gave me some good advice. Imagine myself as the character. Seeing through her eyes, get in her head and ask what if questions. 

So that is what I'm planning to do. I need to submit this by the 13th October and then I'll find out how well I did on November 5th.

I'll let you know how it goes... 

Ps. I've now written all 300 words. It's called Something beginning with P and I'm really pleased with what I've written. it maybe just for this exercise or it may even be the start of a real novel that I end up writing, we'll have to see. 

I'd love to hear how you'd tackle this challenge or some of your favourite openings to a thriller. Let me know in the comments or on Facebook. 

 Martin is a writer, baker, photographer and storyteller. He's been published in the ACW Christmas anthology and Lent devotional. He's currently honing his craft at flash fiction and you can find him on Twitter here. 



Comments

  1. Exciting! As a fellow pantser, I simply opened the laptop and let the words flow. I don't know if you could call it a thriller, but one of the most arresting openings to a novel ever, in my opinion, is, "It was a bright, cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen." Good luck with it. Let us know how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth, I've just realised I never replied, I'm so sorry. I'm also shocked that I didn't remember that the novel opening you shared was one that I'd actually read as well! I'm about 3/4 though. It's at the deeper thinking bit, though scarily appropriate for this time.

      I'll find out how I did on the 5th and I'll let you all know. Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. Wishing you the best, Martin - I'm not a thriller writer and will keep plodding forwards with the current WIP I think! The deadline for the competition is far too near, but as you've started, I hope you continue and send something in. 300 words is a good length - we do that for Adrian at Scargill ... Plotter or pantser - I do both, depending... plot just turned a nice corner via some pantsing which dropped into my head at a slightly dfficult moment in the telling, for which I'm grateful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clare. I'm close to having my piece finished, I just need to do a little bit of editing. That's one of the things that attracted me to the group, the fact that the challenges are only 300 words. It's always fun when ideas drop into our heads :)

      Delete
  3. I think for any major piece of work such as a novel, I would need to plan. For a short story or a blog post, I'm less likely to know the end from the beginning, although I've usually identified the main 'theme' or message, around which I can build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it had been a 'real novel' then I would have but as this is just for an exercise then I've not had to plan. I may decided to carry it on depending on what reaction it receives. Thank you :)

      Delete
  4. I'm plotter and pantser! Hope it goes well, Martin! I'd love to read it when you've finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nikki, that's very kind. I've got a little bit of editing to do, which I need to make sure doesn't unravel the whole thing!, and then it will be ready for me to submit. I'll find out how I did on November 5th.

      Delete
  5. Yep. Me: plotter and panster. I’m in the planning stages of my first novel, but oddly I’m not planning the novel itself. I’m exploring-yes! That’s another category perhaps? I’m taking time to remember places where I once lived, remembering sights and smells and people. Playing the music. Oh no. In your blogpost I’ve discovered something about myself: I just love the research. Help! Someone drag me out of the proverbial library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Research can be immensely rewarding yet also a real rabbit hole. You could get lost down there for hours, days, weeks! Wishing you all the best with your novel :)

      Delete

Post a Comment