Missing my library visits

As I write this, it's National Poetry Day (1 October) so I think I'll share with you my poem about libraries that was aired on BBC Coventry and Warwickshire Radio last night as part of the National Poetry Day celebrations. The poem is called 'Towards the Exit'. 

Here's the show itself - it's called Coventry Creates and it's hosted each week by presenter Rachel New. I'm on at approximately 13 minutes, and listen to the whole show if you haven't celebrated National Poetry Day yet. 

Coventry Creates show

And here's the poem for you to read. I wrote it a while ago, pre-Covid, and it sounds like a picture of a bygone world. Let's hope and pray that soon we can go back to our libraries without all the restrictions and impositions that make it a very different experience. 


Towards the exit

 

I find a book on Shakespeare’s life, misplaced

in the Cookery section.  No worries.

Here’s a blue corner chair, a vase

of optimistic daffodils on a windowsill,

and an hour to laze through glossed pages.

 

A woman with a stick and a wheeze tugs

herself up the ramp to Fiction.  She smiles

to find new romance in ‘Recently Returned’

and leans against a pillar for the first pages

in which Marion flies to Morocco with a sad heart.

 

A young man, tall, unshaven, taps

his dreams into an online form. He bends

towards the screen as if in prayer

to a fickle deity, scrolling up and

down for errors, for slips, for what’s missing.

 

A child in denim dungarees, perches

on the chair opposite me.  The mother

browses the shelves while his fat fingers

trace a dragon’s tail across the page

and he points out green and blue to us all.

 

Two men, both in sturdy boots, shed

mud in ‘Crime’ while swapping views on

Rankin -

 

- The library will close in five minutes -

 

Clutching Shakespeare and Marion

in Morocco and dreams and dragons

and a Rebus mystery (and a leaflet on cuts

from a table near the door)

we all sigh towards the exit.

 

And here I am, reading in a library. You can tell it's me because of those lovely long slim legs. 

                                  



Fran Hill is a writer, blogger and English tutor living in Warwickshire. She lies about her legs often. 

Her latest book is 'Miss, What Does Incomprehensible Mean?' - a funny but poignant teacher-memoir about a typical year in her schoolteaching career. It's published by SPCK Publishing. You can find out more about Fran and her work on her website by going to her website here


Comments

  1. This is brilliant, Fran. Sums libraries up perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved listening to this and love reading it too. You are one of the few people who make poetry accessible to everyone IMHO! I think it's so clever the way you include in the first verse, so succinctly, all of the 5 Ws so we immediately get to see the scene in our minds. Might use this with Year 6!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did??? Do I get a merit? Feel free to use it with Year 6. I'd be chuffed.

      Delete
  3. This is a lovely, funny, astute and poignant poem - just captures everything the public library is about. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a brilliant poet. I love this. Just love it. And your legs are looking amazing, Miss Lovely Legs Leamington Spa 2020

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Fran. Wit and nostalgia in one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely compliment! Thanks, Eileen.

      Delete
  6. Love it. It does seem like a bygone age of relaxed interactions and observations... And now when I see pictures of people huddled, human, ordinary, now it strikes me in alarm and I think danger! Criminal! Crisis... our world has gone wonky, but libraries are opening again near me. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn. My local library has opened again but it's a bit Fort Knox in nature and mildly discouraging because of that. It doesn't quite have the same feel about it. As for pictures of people huddled, I even get worried if I see this on TV now!!

      Delete
  7. Ah, this poem is wonderful. It makes me feel so nostalgic about my job as a librarian. I love the woman with a wheeze who finds new romance but for a moment, I thought she would find it in wecently weturned in keeping with the other Ws.
    Thanks for making me smile. Maybe I will get my job back after the demise of Covid? And just for fun I will file a certain work of Shakespeare in the Domestic Science section. "The Taming of the Choux" sounds just right..... ��.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment