On Stephen King by Jane Clamp

As part of my constant efforts to improve my writing, I often read from my growing library of books on the subject. Some have been given to me (the equivalent of hinting that you smell when you receive bath foam for Christmas, perhaps?)
but most I have bought myself. Far and away the most influential title in my collection is On Writing by Stephen King. I have read it through twice in entirety and couldn’t count the times I’ve dipped in for help or inspiration and I h
eartily recommend it (with the caution that it contains swearing…)



The early chapters chart the writer’s own story to becoming the established name that he is today. From magazine articles and shaky starts, he found his stride and kept on walking. (Even when he was involved in a hit-and-run accident that so nearly claimed his life.) He reveals his modus operandi: a first draft in about three months, then putting it aside while he edits the one that’s been marinating. Regardless of your feelings on his genre, there’s no disputing that this man can write, and prolifically!



Several times in the book, he makes mention of his title Misery. Now, as a horror-phobe, I hadn’t read any of his work apart from Carrie, as a teenager. Yet, I found myself compelled to read it, trailing from one charity shop to another in vain and finally receiving a copy for Christmas (hurrah!). I’ll be honest, I read it to check up on SK. Here he was in On Writing, telling me how to craft the winning novel. Had he succeeded? Had he followed his own advice?



The aspect I loved is that Misery contains one novel within another. The protagonist is a writer famous for creating a popular character called Misery Chastain. However, having been “rescued” from a serious car accident, he finds himself imprisoned under the "care" of a psychopathic ex-nurse. 

At her insistence, and under real fear of punishment, he is forced to write a sequel – a lot of which appears within the text of Misery. It was fascinating to watch SK write in a different style as a different fictional author and to imagine the challenges that poses. I have enough trouble just writing as me!



So, in recommending both On Writing and Misery to you, I want to finish with a quote from On Writing. “I have written because it fulfilled me. Maybe it paid off the mortgage… but those things were on the side… I did it for the pure joy of the thing. And if you can do it for the joy, you can do it forever.”



Amen!




Jane Clamp is the author of Too Soon, a mother's journey through miscarriage (SPCK) and appears regularly on Premier Radio and UCB. She is currently in the final stages of editing her second novel, represented by Intersaga Literary Agency.

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for writing this, Jane. I'm a big Stephen King fan, and read Misery when I was in my teens. Interestingly I never thought about the novel within the novel aspect, a good excuse to reread it again. The bit that most struck me, when I read his account of writing this novel in On Writing, is that he wrote this whilst coming off his addiction to cocaine, which makes Paul Sheldon's desire for his pain killers all the more real.

    Needful Things is one of my favourites of his. A fantastic allegory of how the Devil works. I'm about halfway though On Writing, must finish it. I look forward to reading other people's thoughts and comments on this. Excellent write :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Martin. Reading a Stephen King novel was a real departure for me but apart from looking away from the page during a well-described scene, shall we say (!), I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
      As well as continuing my quest to become to better writer, I'm consciously broadening my reading genres. I'm loving the journey!

      Delete
  2. Misery is one of the few horror/thrillers that I enjoy. I hate horror, but Misery is different. Such a cleverly written book and such a great film too. Thanks for reminding me of it, Jane and I will certainly be reading On Writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that 'On Writing' is probably the best book around for writers in terms of matter-of-fact, no-flannel advice from someone who knows. Another favourite of mine, though, is 'How Not To Write a Novel' by Mittelmark and Newman, which is the funniest book on writing on the market. Hilarious examples of terrible writing which, strangely, make the point better than good pieces of writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I shall look out for that one. Sadly, so many novels I read are demonstrations of how not to do it well....

      Delete
  4. I can't agree with you Fran, or you, Jane, apart from the biography at the beginning which was interesting, although a little sad, I hated the book. In fact, it is going to the charity unless someone in ACW wants it? I found his attitude to other writers condescending and derogatory, which I hate. I also got really annoyed with his proposition that unless you write every day, you're not a proper writer. Of course, he's a man and has a wife to do the housework, cooking etc and while it is probably best to write every day if you can, my family and God take first priority and I now find myself back to writing only after three weeks! Sorry to sound so negative but that book really got to me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disagree away, Sheila! Books often have the capacity to divide the crowd. He made writing feel accessible to me, but if you found the opposite, then pass the book along without a second thought. It's definitely a case of "each to their own."

      Delete
  5. Very interesting division and fascinating post. I am going to try both these writing books. Thank you Jane and Fran!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should say 'discussion' not 'division '. Fat fingers. Sorry.

      Delete
    2. I hope you find them helpful - or, at least, thought-provoking!

      Delete
  6. I love 'On Writing'. Haven't read Stephen King novels. Will read one for Wendy's Reading Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! Those challenges offer the chance to branch-out, genre-wise, don't they?

      Delete

Post a Comment