Living the story by Tracy Williamson

It's amazing how putting words down enable you (and others) to 'live' the story.  Adding just a few descriptive words, a touch of reflection, a pinch of emotion, maybe a dash of dialogue and suddenly something that would have been just a mundane statement of fact becomes engaging, a means to the reader walking in your shoes for that short space of time.

Fact statement: I took my dog for a short winter's walk around the field


Living the story  With a sigh I clipped on Goldie's lead.  I really didn't feel like going out again. It was so wet and the field was a nightmare. It was hard to walk as my feet sank into the thick claggy mud. 'Damn it' I muttered as I nearly slipped and just saved myself by grabbing a thorny branch.
Sucking my finger I gazed over the sodden grass searching for Goldie who had typically chosen to disappear as soon as I was distracted.  It was then I saw it.  Almost invisible against the leaden sky, the lone daffodil bravely raised its head above the grass.  A tiny golden beacon of hope.  a whisper from God that joy is always there to be found even on the darkest days. . .

Of course the 'Living the Story' example takes a lot more writing space than the factual statement.  I certainly could write it in less words, but the point is that through'living the story' rather than just telling the fact, I've opened the door to you as reader entering my world, seeing what I see and experiencing my emotions.  It is amazing and powerful how such a tiny fact like taking my dog for a walk then becomes something so engaging.

In the Bible we see how Jesus loved story and used it to transform simple facts into lived in experiences.  He could have just said, for example, , 'God as Father never gives up on us....' Instead He said, 'There was a man who had 2 sons....' (Luke 15:11 - 32)  The enduring story that ensued and which we call the prodigal son, engages with us all on different levels.   The fact is true and powerful.  The story is life changing.

All these thoughts are in my head because I am in the midst of writing my memoir of my life and ministry with Marilyn Baker.  It is a huge challenge as I've never written in this way of telling my story before.  How can I draw people in so they will engage with it?  How can I change it from being a rather boring account of facts, places and events to something that might inspire or help others ?  As I look in the best guide of all, The Bible, the answer keeps coming at me, 'Live the story' ...

Fact - My dad died when I was 7
Story     I'd got used to dad sleeping in the lounge and that evening was like all others, with me playing on the floor near his bed.  But suddenly he made a strange choking, rattling sound. I jumped up scared but mum caught my arm and rushed me upstairs.  I struggled.  It was too early, I hadn't even kissed dad goodnight....

For me, as much as for my reader, my own attempt to 'live the story' rather than just record its facts, enables me to engage with it once again.  To know that I DID suffer a great loss; that I was confused and scared ..... So many emotions can get buried and hidden in our lives but then we only half live because we've shut the door on so many painful things.  I believe 'living the story' is a God given love tool that we might live and feel wholly and fully. 

God showed us the way in the Bible
Will we follow His lead?


Tracy Williamson lives near Tonbridge in Kent sharing a home and working alongside singer/songwriter Marilyn Baker.  Tracy is an author and speaker as well as being a dog walker, washer upper, bed maker and suitcase packer! Tracy is currently working on her 8th book, a memoir of her and Marilyn's lives and ministry together.

Comments

  1. How true. You can state the fact, baldly, or make like a writer, just as you have.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment