True Stories, by Deborah Jenkins

I'm writing this post having been inspired by Ruth Leigh's wonderful piece about authenticity which you can find here and as a kind of sequel to a post I wrote a while ago about real writers' habits - here.

I am fascinated by the often annoying gap between the things we tell ourselves and the things that are true. I don't think this is unique to writers, just unique to people. As opposed to cats, for example, who tell themselves they're tired when they're tired and instantly fall asleep, usually on a person's bed just as they're about to make it (see below).


I don't know about you but when I'm tired, I do the next three things on my list before I decide to rest. This means I generally do them badly (always), swear in my head (sometimes) or have a tantrum (occasionally). Why can't we be more like cats?

I'm wondering whether it's possible that, as we are born storytellers, we might be even better at telling ourselves 'other versions of the truth' than most? So I've decided to debunk some of the writing myths I tell myself, along with the reality. They might be true for you too.

1. Story: I love writing
Debunked version: Sometimes I hate writing
Reality: Writing like any job, has its ups and downs. There are pressures and pains, high days and holy days. When I get a commission, as a Christian writer, I see that as a holy day, a punch-the-air THANK YOU GOD! kind of day. But many, sometimes most, days are just hard, unrewarding graft, or a rejection when others seem to be getting success after success. When the inspiration flows, my fingers fly across the keyboard, and I feel twelve again - thin, light and full of hope. Other times, not so much.

2. Story: My family love my writing and are hugely supportive
Debunked: Not everyone in my family has even read my book
Reality: My family are very supportive but they don't come to school with me when I teach and I don't really know what all their jobs are like either. Why should I expect them all to read my book? Also, the truth is, my obsession with writing can sometimes get in the way of my relationships. My glassy eyed reach for a notebook, mid-chat, my tendency to disappear randomly for hours at a time, the checking of blog stats - these probably annoy them.

3. Story: I am a confident writer with a clear plan
Debunked: I have no idea where I'm going
Reality: Just like life, I have plans for my writing which sometimes work out and sometimes don't. I've got stuck at lights, hit bollards, been up one way streets. But when I pay attention, I can work out which way to go because it's kind of obvious. It's just that sometimes I tell myself so many stories that I can't figure out what's true and what isn't. (E.g.I nearly said Yes five minutes ago to a supply day tomorrow. But I'm not that well and tomorrow is a writing day. I wanted to say Yes because I like to be needed. I said No. Are you proud of me?)

4. Story: I write from 9 - 12 every morning 4 days a week
Debunked: I write from 9 - 12 every morning 4 days a week after a fashion (but I always write 1000 words a day)
Reality: I write some mornings for an hour at a time but more often I message Fran to ask what she's cooking tonight, drink coffee, watch out for the postman, see if my daughter's on-line, message Fran again, drink more coffee, do a stock take on my secret chocolate supply (second shelf down at the back), eat said chocolate, drink more coffee, go fast walking while I'm high on caffeine. I don't worry about the cleaning or washing any more. I mean, obviously I do them, but not as often as when the kids were at home. Sometimes I forget about them for weeks at a time (see above, 2b). We have a lot of underwear.

5. Story: I write for others
Debunked: I write for myself
Reality: I write more for myself than for others. The truth is, if I didn't write I would actually go mad. I'm sure I benefit from my writing far more than others do. Sometimes I get some nice comments about my personal blog or my book and this lifts me for days because I never expect to get any. I love to think my writing makes a difference to others and, in truth, this is partly why I write. But writing, for me, is like self-medicating in a way. If I am low or tired or disillusioned with humankind (this is not my way, generally), it will suddenly occur to me: I haven't written for ages.

When my husband got home from church today, I was making chicken pie. I hadn't gone because I'm not well. He breezed in, with post-sermon joy and said, 'When's lunch? I was hoping to sweep leaves off the front lawn before the rain comes.' For some reason, this made me absurdly happy. It was so delightfully mundane and comforting. In a world where we are worried about our kids and our parents and the government and Brexit and the environment and knife crime and writers' block and God knows what else, there is still this - he sweeping leaves in his red coat, then coming in all rosy and proud like an over-sized robin, and us eating chicken pie together. It is a story, a true story and a gift from God, the best kind of story of all.


Click on the link to see the novella on amazon
Deborah Jenkins is a primary school teacher and freelance writer who has written articles, text books, devotional notes and short stories. She writes regularly for the tes. She has also completed a novella, The Evenness of Things, available as an Amazon e-book and is currently working on a full length novel. Deborah loves hats, trees and small children. After years overseas with her family, who are now grown up, she lives in Sussex with her husband, a Baptist minister, and a cat called Oliver. 

Comments

  1. This is so delightfully honest. I enjoyed the debunked versions (rather similar to my own!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased Aggie 😊 It helps to know we all fight the same demons doesn't it? Thanks for reading x

      Delete
  2. Deborah, honestly, you have made my day, nay my week!!!!! There are at least 2 blogs in this (thank you) which our readers will be enjoying over the next year. This is a totally brilliant, funny, engaging, touching and authentic piece which I LOVE!!!! I am so so so blown away that you referenced me in it. Thank you. This is how my day has gone so far hence reading your blog has been fantastic. 7.30 hear alarm. Turn it off. 7.45 hear next alarm. Turn it off. Woken by husband shrieking "it's 8.15!!" Leap from bed, put dressing gown on, divvy up school run with said husband, put on Birkies, splash out onto drive, start car. A gold star to anyone who has noticed an omission so far. Drive to Ipswich to deliver eldest to college. Get stuck in traffic. Late for 9.30 appointment back home. Unexpected call from elderly mother to say elderly father is having palpitations and can I take them to the doctor at 12. Call from best friend to ask if husband can go over and jump start her as her battery's dead and she needs to get her daughter to the orthodontist. Arrive home. GET DRESSED. Yes. Did whole thing in pjs and dressing gown. Rush to appointment. Late. Hey ho. Return home for second time. Find husband has made me Full English (yes!) Make pot of tea. Fire up laptop. Eat Full English. Read your blog. Let out series of excited yelps, seizing husband's arm and crying "look! look! A famous writer has mentioned me in her blog!!!" General excitement and joy. Thank you Deborah. I loved your blog. I loved you liking mine. Heck I think I might love YOU (in a completely appropriate Christian writer fashion).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I’m taking responsibility for my part in your morning Ruth!! You and your husband are the best of people! And of course your writing is getting noticed - you are super talented xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you my dear friend! I'm glad my husband could deal with your issues on the drive!! Looking forward to seeing you on the playground in an hour or so. I am dressed! xx

      Delete
  3. And I hope you are soon much much better x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you Ruth and thank you for your lovely, lovely comment :) Your day sounds so familiar, it could be a retelling of one of mine. I should just clear up one misconception though. I am not a famous writer!! I have had quite a few bits and pieces published and have self-published a novella but I am very, very far from being a household name anywhere apart from in my own! Thank you for thinking I am one though! Hopefully you have the gift of prophecy too? ;) Hope your day gets much better. Since reading your comment I am definitely on the mend! xx

      Delete
    2. I think you are. And I DO have the gift of prophecy, as it happens (although a little rusty currently) so expect to see your name in lights and/or get a slot on Premier before too long. My day is good. Just had two cups of tea and a banana and half-written a new blog based on your comment this morning. And I'm dressed, so everything on the up xx

      Delete
  4. A brilliant post! You just get better and better at telling it how it really is in a funny and honest way. And thank you for my mention although I note that while Ruth is someone you admire and who's inspired you and whose writing is wonderful and who has fallen in love with you as a result, I have now been demoted to the person you message when you are procrastinating. #justsaying

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! Well, you know, our shared love of food, writing and procrastination does normally make you the Number One Person to message when I'm having a moment. But, you know, have you ever said you actually love me? Ruth is definitely creeping up there ;) #justresponding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, I am simply her blog comment crush today. Your relationship is clearly based on far more lasting qualities. I love you too. Let's share that writerly affection today

      Delete
  6. I feel a little like I'm intruding here, but I certainly wanted to comment. Excellent choice of photo of your cat, what's his/her name and will they appear in a future post?

    I could certainly relate to num. 1 and I loved 4, it had a Sue Townsend feel to it. I'm very impressed at your 1000 words a day, I'm pleased if I manage to write 280 characters.

    And it did make me smile, when you described your husband as an Over-sized robin! Who cares about fame, as you know I loved your novella and I'm eagerly awaiting your next book :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Martin, you are definitely not intruding! Thank you for your lovely comment 🙂 Our cat is called Oliver. He is black and white with white paws and we adore him. Thanks so much for the Sue Townsend comparison too. You are very kind. I love your writing as well and your debut on MTW was also a great one. Thanks again for reading and commenting. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love , love this! Need to read your novella. Just ordering now. It’s a need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw Kathleen, thank you! What an encouragement to read this. I hope you're not disappointed! It's a slightly different style. Many thanks for buying it x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment