Looking Back, Looking Forward by Liz Manning



We were talking about the influences of our childhood when my husband asked:

“What’s the one thing you would tell your nine year old self?”

I pictured the shy geeky girl, dominated by her more confident best friend, proudly amazed to be selected for the school choir. The girl who barely touched school dinners, relished climbing trees, and, an early feminist, argued over equal chores with her brother. The girl who adored the library and English homework because she could immerse herself in reading and writing.

I would tell her that her life was going to turn out to be so much more than she could imagine, even in those stories she wrote.

I’d not spoil the surprise with details – how she would prove more popular with boys than her best friend, beat her academic older brother to university, travel across three continents and work in an obscure African country. How she’d marry a man who would teach her to dream even bigger. How she’d experience some of her biggest dreams and her worst nightmares but find a way through both with her Saviour. And how she’d find the life’s value equally in the beauty of the smallness of her world.

Even seeing the adult me seeded in that nine year old, I could never predict how my story would turn out. Even now, I still can’t.

Or can I? As a Christian, I have the promise of my story’s end - the glory of an eternal home in our Father’s Mansion - even if the exact details are a bit fuzzy.

When you write, do you know the ending beforehand? JK Rowling famously advised the Harry Potter movie makers not to dismiss Snape from one instalment, even though it seemed an obvious edit, because she knew he would play a key part in the final novels yet to be published.

Sometimes we need a vision of the destination of the piece in order to work towards it, a very clear structure all mapped out.

But other times, with the vaguest of premises initially, we see where the writing takes us. Characters or pieces seem in charge of their own destiny. I studied woodwork for a time, found I loved wood turning. My best piece was a chalice that I can only describe as waiting in the block for me to release rather than something I designed or created. Writing can feel like that too.

Often it doesn’t go according to plan. Writing this post, I had a clear ladder of points. But somewhere in the middle I got caught on an anecdote and then muddled up and down the rungs until I didn’t know which direction I was facing. It’s taken a lot of referring back to the original plan, a break to see things more clearly, and heavy editing to get back on track.

Sound familiar? And not just about writing?

I might know my ultimate ending but just like that nine year old, I can’t predict what my chapters will include or how circuitous my path will be to get there.

I guess I have to trust the Great Writer, who is still working on this masterpiece, and who ‘can do immeasurably more than we can imagine’, to cope with all the twists and turns of this plot as we co-author our way to the great ending He has planned.
Ok, 5 years old rather than 9, but it's the nearest I've got access to!

 

Liz Manning fits writing around being an Occupational Therapist, BB captain, wife, and mum to two adult sons. Or perhaps it's the other way round. She blogs regularly at https://thestufflifeismadeofblog.wordpress.com/







Comments

  1. This is great, Liz! I have just returned from a morning which started at 7.25 taking eldest son to station for college, followed by taking next two children to different schools, straight to elderly parents, doctor's with them, plus taking batteries out of beeping alarms at their house. Only now settling down to a shed load of writing work. This is just what I needed to read. I love the photo. I sported a very similar hair style aged 5. I also loved your imagery of the chalice waiting in the block of wood. That's beautiful. I've subscribed to your blog, too and look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. Your life sound very like mine was a few years ago - but without as much writing getting done. How I hated that hairstyle as a child (insisted on my mum) - it went on to have a big influence on my own children as I decidedly went the other way as a parent! But it's one of my favourite photos of me and my late mum and reminds me of the pride |I took in our matching coats. Honoured to have you subscribe to my blog, having read your own piece this month.

      Delete
  2. I like to think I know how a story will end as I'm writing it. That keeps me focused. But I'm only kidding myself, mostly. The story stubbornly ends the way it wants to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your writing, Fran, so I am very encouraged by your comment. Thank you.
      Yes, it's definitely that need and discipline for focus (whether it's a story or a blog piece) balanced with a feeling of not being entirely in control of the process! Not sure if the same holds true for poetry though - that seems a more free form practice for me.

      Delete
  3. Very thought provoking and brilliantly written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you greyowl. When I've gone through a piece to edit so much and my brain is full of drizzle and fog, it's especially difficult to tell if I have written anything of value. So I really appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. I think your younger self would sit there agog and eager to get started as you shared all that they would go on to do, what a lot you've crammed in so far! I really liked the ending too. I'm more a Pantzer then a planner, though I set myself the challenge of completing to ongoing sagas on Twitter a couple of months ago. I didn't know how either would end, and I had the additional challenge of a incorporating a different prompt each day. A great experience but not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Liz . You made me a bit tearful at the end! Love the photos too. God certainly takes us along unexpected paths at times. I loved the way you compared writing to wood turning. It sometimes feels as though our words are 'released' rather than formed too. A beautifully written piece. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment