When Nothing Goes Write, Like by Emily Owen

Well, maybe I’m not quite that bad at multi-tasking but when, over Christmas, all the comings and goings and doings meant that multi-tasking had to be multiplied, something had to give.
For me, that something was my Facebook page.
When I logged onto it on January 6th, I realised I’d not looked at it since December 23rd.

Two weeks.

I also noticed that, in my absence, the page had accumulated a few more ‘likes’.

I was ‘liked’.

Despite doing nothing.


God says to Jeremiah (1:5), ‘Before I formed you in your mother's womb, I chose you.’
I chose you to stick with me, Jeremiah.
To follow me.
You’ve done nothing yet.
You’ve not even been born.
But I’ve chosen you.

Those people chose to follow my Facebook page.
Chose to click ‘like’.
Even though I’d done nothing.

Some days, I have ‘nothing’ days.
Nothing’s gone right days.
Nothing’s gone ‘write’ days.

Oh, the plan was to get it ‘write’.
To pen copious words of such flowing perfection that they took my breath away.
And I end the day wordlessly breath-full.

I’m not very keen on those days.
I certainly don’t like myself much.
I have no words.
I’ve done nothing.

And yet, as I gaze back on the mute day, some words do reach me through it all:
‘Before I formed you in your mother’s womb, I chose you.’
Before you’d written - or not written - a single word.
I chose you.
Or before you’d completed - or not completed - your to-do list.
I chose you.
Or before you got - or didn’t get - cross or grumpy.
I chose you.
Before anything, I chose you.
And I chose you when you’d done nothing….


Comments

  1. What a fabulous reminder. Something I needed to hear at the moment. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, Emily. We can be far too busy and achieve nothing. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Emily! Since I retired, over a year ago, sometimes I feel overwhelmed by my limitations. I had a podiatry appointment this morning and the podiatrist was surprized I'd come on my own. When I told her I'd booked a holiday in Torquay, she was even more amazed......!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment