Due Consideration by Emily Owen

Last week was Christian Bookshop Week, and I thought I’d tell you about some of the things I did:

 

1.    The launch of Consider Him, by Catherine Campbell.

I was glad to be in Belfast, and so able to attend.

A lovely surprise was meeting Jean Gibson, another Christian writer, there.

What better way to start Christian Bookshop Week than by celebrating a new book, and being encouraged by Catherine to:

'Consider Him...so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.' (Hebrews 12:3)

 

2    The online launch of To the Ocean Floor, by Kate Nicholas

It was really good to be there, and celebrate the book.

Kate shared some of her story; an encouragement to Consider Him when life is hard.

 

My final event of Christian Bookshop Week was in a bookshop.

The Vine, in Hinckley, is a beautifully welcoming place: do visit if you can.

I was there because Jessica (the manager) had invited me to give a talk and sign books, though I couldn't resist looking round the shop, too.

As I wandered around the shop, chatting, and spoilt for choice by the merchandise (I bought some lovely earrings!), I saw this board. It's placed by the counter in the shop, and anyone who has anything they'd like prayer for is welcome to write their request, and stick it on the board. (I share the photo with permission):



To me, this board sums up Christian Bookshops.

They are places people can come.

They are places where people can share.

They are places where people can be real.

  

The Vine is a place of prayer.

And I think The Vine is representative of Christian Bookshops.

It is of ones I’ve been in, anyway.

 

As part of my talk, I’d spoken about how it can sometimes be difficult to pray for ourselves. And how, in those times, I’ve been very held by others praying for me. 

Some of those pray-ers are people who work in Christian Bookshops.

Had I thought, I may have said – perhaps to my listeners’ relief – “no need for me to say anything, that board says it all.”

 

I began the week being encouraged to Consider Him.

Through the week, I saw Him in and through people’s writing and gifting and actions and care.

And I ended the week in a place that ‘Considers Him’, every day.

A Christian Bookshop.

I’m so thankful for them.

 

As Christian writers, let’s pray for shops.

The books they stock, the customers they see, the people who work there.

May they be strengthened and encouraged and affirmed.

 

For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every Christian Bookshop's purpose derives. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen Bookshop staff and managers with power through his Spirit in their inner being. I pray that they, being rooted and established in love, may have power to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that they may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work…..to him be glory in and through Christian Bookshops.

Amen.

(Based on Ephesians 3)


Comments

  1. What a great way to celebrate Christian Bookshop week, Emily. I think small independent bookshops seem to have something special and celebratory about them, whether they are specifically Christian or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Veronica.
      Yes, I agree about small, independent bookshops. They do have something special about them. ~Emily

      Delete
  2. A lovely post with your usual blend of wisdom and inspiration. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment