Did you hear the one about…

                                            Picture Credit: iStock 


Has a chance encounter ever inspired you to write something? Do you like a good laugh? Could you do with more times of belly chuckling and merriment? I know God intends us to laugh.

In August, me and Mrs Smart were strolling through Whitby Harbour on our way to walk the cliff path from Whitby Abbey to Robin Hood’s Bay. All was well with the world; the sun was shining and the only thing weighing me down was the enormous breakfast served up at the B&B.

Passing through, we encountered a man who smiled and greeted us warmly. We got chatting, and he asked if we liked jokes, so I told him one I had heard just that morning.

‘Did you hear about the zookeeper who went out on a date with a new fella? Turned out he was a cheetah.’

Boom boom. I hope you didn’t hurt yourself by falling to the floor with laughter. Believe it or not, that won the prize for the best joke at this year’s Edinburgh Festival! The man gave us one back.

‘I saw a man this morning walking around town with a door handle. I asked what he was doing, and he said, well it gets me out of the house.’

The jokes, corny as they were, got us chatting, and he explained he was there to sell joke books as an alternative to unemployment. I wasn’t in need of a joke book, but the friendly encounter endeared me to him and the exchange took place. He was fully geared up for cash or card. Unprompted, he then offered some inside local information about which public toilets to use and which to avoid. Useful. It was a masterclass in good selling. A smile, a laugh, an insight into his life, a simple transaction and some added value for free.

We enjoyed a fabulous walk along the cliffs, a lovely cold cider in the pub and a look around the excellent second-hand bookshop in Robin Hood’s Bay. As we lay in bed that night, I remembered the book and thought I would amuse Mrs Smart with some rib-tickling gags, but it turned out the jokes were rather rude, so I gave it a miss. To be fair, the inside cover gave ample warning had I chosen to look. Putting that aside, the encounter sparked the idea of an undiscovered writer trying to sell their books to passersby on the street. The song lyrics that resulted aren’t a retelling of the encounter itself, but it was where the inspiration came from. I expect the man by the harbour would be surprised! Here’s the lyrics.

I saw a man…standing by the side…of the harbour wall. I watched him there…staring out to sea with many a care. And he called to me…sir, would you like to hear what I have to say?

I looked away…he had nothing…that I might need. He read my mind…sir, all I have…is a tale to tell. And he called to me…sir, would you like to hear what I have to say?

He’s no beggar…just wants to be a tale teller…no need to top the New York Times…just wants to give his kids a father’s time…no need to be the next best seller…just wants to be a tale teller.

He read out loud…he began with loss…and ended with hope…he cut through me and hushed the growing crowd. And we called for more…sir we’d like to hear what you have to say.

He laid his stall…piled high and wide and heavy with tomes…he reeled us in, he sold them all…now he’s standing tall

He’s no beggar…just wants to be a tale teller…he’s gonna top the New York times…he’s gonna make a whole heap of dimes…he’s gonna be the next bestseller…just wants to be a tale teller…just wants to be a tale teller 

Comments

  1. This is great, terrible jokes always make me laugh but when I tell them people just moan, hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brendan, perhaps you should set up an ACW joke writing group!

      Delete
  2. Lovely post, David! Thanks. The art of humour is a gift from God. I really appreaciate those who are naturally endowed with it! It makes all the difference in any situation! Your suggestion about an ACW joke writing group is a great idea!!! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophia, the jokes can't be worse than these!

      Delete
  3. That's such a great story. I wish that guy all the best. I hope it works out for him. These kinds of encounters are what us writers feast on! Your lyrics are great - I'd like to know the tune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Philippa, if I knew how to write music properly I could have included it but sadly that's beyond me, I'm just an amateur guitar strummer!

      Delete

Post a Comment