Confident Me

 


Have you ever felt as though you are not quite good enough? Or that you are somehow an imposter in the world of books and authors? God didn’t make us that way but so many of us can fall into that false belief. There is a part of me, the passionate part of me, that appears very confident when I completely believe in what I do but there is also another side that strikes, particularly at times when life is a little more challenging.

For example, I’ve had so many attacks of uncertainty since publishing my book - a book for teenagers to help increase their confidence and self-belief and yet my own teen is suffering with anxiety and sickness. Little venomous voices whisper, hypocrite, fraud, cheat and constantly questioning my credentials and my own self-worth. Too often I forget who I am in Jesus. 

My friend and co-author, Sarah also has these feelings - we both admit to them in our book and even when we were nominated for the CRT award for the category ‘books for children and teens’ those small whispers started up again… CRT? Who are they, anyway?...there were few other nominations so not many to choose from

It was only when I arrived at the Awards; collected my badge which stated: Nikki Salt, Author (I’ve kept it!); caught up with the wonderful ACW gang, and sat in the auditorium all dressed up, I realised this was a big deal. Other nominees were well known Christian authors such as J John and Krish Kandiah. Wow.

Why am I sharing this with you? It is because I want to encourage you. This whole experience was a stark reminder that God is in charge. He can make amazing things happen. Nothing is impossible for Him especially when we give Him our ability, willingness and obedience. Don’t listen to those little voices of misgiving, they’re not from Him so don’t give them the light of day.

And me, what am I doing, now? I’ve started a new novel for teenagers. Something to encourage, mentor, entertain today’s teens who struggle with so much. Ultimately, this is something I know I can do in the power of God. Oh, those little darts of doubt still buzz around annoyingly but I’m getting better at zapping them with that spiritual bug zapper we call the shield of faith. Yes, in God we can be confident. A confident you and a confident me. 






Comments

  1. Thanks Nikki, great post. I expect this will resonate with many of us, it certainly does for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David. Those "diery farts" of the enemy are annoying!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Nikki, you deserved to be listed for the award. I try hard not to listen to imposter syndrome but it isn't easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brendan. The best bit of advice I ever got was that if its a negative voice then it definitely isn't from God!

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Nikki, for a great post, well-written and very encouraging. Like Brendan, I struggle with imposter syndrome in many areas of my life, and "Confident Me" will be a great transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this sentence, Nikki: 'Oh, those little darts of doubt still buzz around annoyingly but I’m getting better at zapping them with that spiritual bug zapper we call the shield of faith.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really good post Nikki, thank you. I noted your sentence ‘attacks of uncertainty since publishing’ - I look forward to those one day 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be honest, I don't think those attacks ever stop!

      Delete
  6. Beautiful and encouraging post, Nikki! Thanks. Impostor syndrome is the writer's hay fever!! We all catch it now and again. Sometimes very severely!Then get healed when we remember who gave us our gifts and - our shield of faith - as you mentioned. By God's grace, you have ACW and 3 strong points to boost your confidence as a writer: Your award, your badge and your nomination along other WOW christian authors!!! Wow! Congratulations!! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Sophia! Thank you. I get so much out of being in conversation with you all. You're all encouraging and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment