LIVING THE WRITER'S DREAM

 


Over the last month I have started to feel as if I am living my writer’s dream.

Every day I get up and go to my study (I have a study now!), where my vintage Singer sewing machine table holds all that I need: laptop, notebooks, a box of refills for my Cross ballpoint, a crocheted doll of me in my old work uniform. An old sampler we picked up in a knitting shop encourages me with its message: Be Thou Faithful.

Sounds from the harbour drift up from the bottom of the hill and the white houses opposite shine in the morning light. I sit on the bed to read but I’m actually watching the boats come and go.

Last month, we took the enormous step of leaving our home, our town, our sons, and my career, to move to Cornwall so that I could do a Creative Writing MA at Plymouth University. So here we are.

Back in May, I wrote about the death of a dream. That dream was of promotion at work. But it wasn’t to be. To be honest, I’m glad. This is the dream that was waiting to be realised instead. And I cannot tell you how right it feels.

It's not easy. I’m incredibly grateful to my husband for his support and working wonders with our finances so I can do this. But I’m aware of what an upheaval this is for him too.

I miss our sons dreadfully. I’m exhausted. I don’t enjoy the admin of moving and how much there is still to sort out. (How complicated can garden waste collections be?) I’m impatient to build new routines and friendships.

The course is demanding. There are weekly assignments to complete, set texts to read, videos and interviews to study, critiques of fellow students’ work to write. I’ve set myself a nine to five schedule but I often lose track of time.

And writing is spreading faster than Covid into the rest of my life. I wake up with dreams turning into major rewrites. I shower with phrases slipping out of my grasp like soap. I watch TV working out why a character is believable or not. I walk along the shore noting how sounds of birds, waves, wind might fit into a poem. I go to bed with talent envy from what I’ve read.

But I’m loving it.

The insecure girl who hates criticism finds the weekly critique exciting. My fellow students’ skill and experience isn’t threatening but stimulating. My head is fizzing with ideas and possibilities. The stretch of new learning and the pressure of deadlines is like finding an exercise class that I finally love doing.

I thought I would find it hard not to call myself an Occupational Therapist anymore. But I don’t miss it. I am a writer.

I know I am in a very blessed position to be doing this. I know that’s not the case for many others. But I do want to encourage you to think about what your dreams are, to tell God about them, and see what His response is.

Don’t ignore your dreams. See what God thinks of them. Sometimes He says no – I was not the best fit for that management post (and that post was not the best fit for me, I can see now). Sometimes He’s just waiting for us to ask so He can say yes.

Liz Manning lives in Cornwall and is doing a Creative Writing MA at Plymouth University, where she’s exploring fiction, poetry, and screen writing possibilities. She hopes to have something ready for publication by the end of the academic year.

She blogs regularly at https://thestufflifeismadeofblog.wordpress.com/


Comments

  1. Living the dream. Your enthusiasm is contagious, and encouraging too. Sometimes it all starts with trusting God for a bit more confidence. I'm going to get my dream out of storage, and dust it off. Thank you Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it Veronica! I think it's worth pushing a door and seeing if God opens it. If He planted the dream in you, He has the power to accomplish it.

      Delete
  2. A brave step, Liz! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't have taken this step without the support/encouragement of husband and sons. I am on a learning curve about not limiting God with my own expectations too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post, Liz! Reading through shows how amazing God is. Initially, we usually do not understand the 'NO', yet He never fails to make us see and realise why. Your post also stimulated me to ask God to fulfil my writer's dream! Just realised that our writing goals differ from our writer's dreams! Our Papa God said we shoud come boldly before Him and ask! I have just prayed a bold prayer to God in my heart and will testify to His glory. I envy your study. You are already living a writer's dream life!! I wish you God's favour in your studies and in Cornwall!! Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taken me a long time to realise Papa God is that generous and may have planted those dreams and talents in me Himself, Sophia! You make a really interesting point about the difference between writing goals and dreams.

      Delete
  5. I love to read stepping out in faith stories and yours is exactly that, so encouraging Liz. I do the same as you when watching TV and question, would that character really do that? Is this story believable? Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes TV more interesting, doesn't it Brendan, pondering those questions? Not always relaxing though - but there's always Strictly!

      Delete
  6. Katherine Blessan14 October 2022 at 12:29

    Living the dream sounds amazing, Liz! If it's possible to have godly envy, then I'm envious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not all amazing, Katherine, but I do feel incredibly privileged. Ask me about transport options here and I won't be as enthusiastic!

      Delete
  7. If it is godly envy, I am envious of you living in Cornwall! Though my heart is in the far west of that country... which is nevertheless one of the poorest counties of England, it can be so beautiful. The whole project sounds very exciting, and stimulating, and a wonderful 'new life' after the OT work of helping others gain confidence and learn to live as independently as possible. All best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cornwall is a real mix in lots of ways that I'm discovering through experience now. We're very blessed to be able to try living here for a year before deciding on a possible long term move or not. But now we're here, a year seems a short time.

      Delete
  8. Oh Liz this is WONDERFUL!!!!!!! Please know that I am cheering you on from Suffolk. "I am a writer." Are there any more significant, terrifying, joyful words in the English language. Reading this reminded me so much of how I felt at the beginning of that journey. I am SO proud of you for taking this huge leap and for believing, even when it seems almost impossible. God is smiling down on you with such love too. This is one of the most beautiful, touching and inspiring blogs I've read. I genuinely cannot think of any more superlatives!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment