A continuing journey

 

I found out that the bus times have been changed. Not surprising, I suppose. After all, I hadn’t been on the bus to Plymouth for almost three years. Now there’s only one bus an hour. Which meant I left home at 3.30 pm to catch the 3.50. The usual half hour journey to the city had been altered, too. Extended in fact, to pick up passengers in places with which I had no previous acquaintance. The bus stop where we were expected to alight was at one end of Royal Parade, and my onward bus stop was at the other end. I began to regret volunteering to bring a weighty supply of courgettes with me. And those lovely blue drinks for the children that their mother would never have bought for them. There’s so much fun in being a grandma, you know!

Anyway, I had to pop into Dingles for the loo. This cannot be described as a convenience because it’s on the sixth floor. I headed for the escalator. The peace was suddenly disrupted. A girl of no more than twelve galloped across my path, hooting and giggling, and started running up the down escalator. A member of staff shouted at her, and, still euphoric, the girl ran back down and hooted her way towards the exit.

I turned the corner, and there was a boy, also no more than twelve, RIDING A BIKE around the ground floor. Of DINGLES, which for years was regarded as the poshest shop in town. A number of adults came running after the miscreant, shouting instructions about getting off that bike AT ONCE, which made the boy speed up like a fox being chased by a hunt. Eventually a clever member of staff darted about and outwitted the boy, and, joined by others, forced him to get off the offending vehicle.

When I told my son, a primary school teacher, about these incidents later, he said the children were probably in their first year of secondary education, and being allowed a bit more freedom than they were used to, spending time in Plymouth after school on their own.

I caught my next bus without further surprises, deep in thought. This is the age group I’m writing for at the moment. These kids are the sort of people my own dear grandchildren mix with at school every day. I remembered one 14-year-old granddaughter telling me about girls who had boasted about shop-lifting, and the other describing some of the horrible things some girls said to each other or put on social media. This is the world in which my protagonist lives.

It's all very interesting, and has proved a very useful tool in developing my characters, and possibly my own character, too. I almost wonder if I should stick to writing a memoir. To the present generation it would probably read like fiction anyway.

It’s strange how some people ignore God, but He is in the city, and He’s not going away. Can we sneak Him into every story we tell or write? Even into stories for the kids who run up the escalator the wrong way, or ride their bikes around a department store? I think I'll take up the challenge on that one.

 


Veronica Bright has won over forty prizes for her short stories, now published in three collections. She is working on a novel for early teens. She is the ACW short story adviser, and runs the ACW Writing for Children group, whose members meet up on Zoom. For more details look on the Writing for Children Facebook page. 







Comments

  1. Such an interesting question Veronica. I am also constantly surprised by the young running wild - at our local shops, the secondary school kids (a=same comprehensive as our twins attended) now spill out onto the pavement pushing their nikes and walking in bunches, or lines 6 abreast, all talking loudly and laughing (in your face as you c ross the road into the crowd of them. Seems so unnecessary to laugh constantly, and appear to not notice the people crossing in the opposite direction...(what is it with this laughter? My husband says it may be in order to signal one is part of the group, so as to be accepted?) It seems sad and a bit hysterical: their culture is brittle, their futures are uncertain, these days. I wish like you there was a best answer, weaving God's character into our writing especially for school kids. Your audience is at the cusp of adolescence, isn't it: these one=s I speak of are older... Has to be said, there are always show-offs, and (at an independent girls' school, a rather academic one, I have memories of, around 16/17, overhearing a couple of our year discussing abortions... (the law had recently been changed) One of those girls later claimed to've had one, 'in the lunch hour' - which would've been pretty much a tall tale, but why well it? Possibly to impress? Or to shock those of us who seemed too conventional? Oh the range of human behaviour and human beings! In answer to your question, subtlety I suppose - to those who don't know God is good and wishes us to respond to his caring nature and wish for our good, it can seem an impossible task with the world so full of the opposite! My book in progress features a 16 year old protagonist - a rather deeper thinker I suspect! She is, in one scene, having a discussion about God with her godfather, a (gay) priest, on Hadrian's Wall. That, I guess, is modern life!! Apologies for this being such a long comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't apologise for the length of your comment, Clare. I was very interested in what you had to say. I've come to the conclusion it's more difficult to write a book for early teens and YA than I had anticipated. A challenge. I'm always up for a challenge!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your comment!
      Åll best wishes for the book...
      ...

      Delete
  2. Very lovely post Veronica! I agree that Grandma duties are fun. I wrote a poem describing them as my 'elixirs'.
    Glad for your bio as I had no recollection of knowing about the chilldren groups you lead on zoom. I may have registered but life must have happened! From the school I work in, I see lots of Year 7s enjoying their 'freedom' in puzzling ways ,which you could add to your story: having access to pocket money that enables them to buy energy drinks and lots of sweets etc. I guess you can imagine the consequences of this in the class and school as a whole. May God continue to protect and guide our present generation, the way He had protected Moses, David, Daniel and many others. Amen. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophia. I love the confidence of many of today's young people, although I think peer pressure is greater than when I was a girl, or even when my own children were young.

      Delete
  3. Dingles! That takes me back. I used to live in Exeter and there was a Dingles on the High Street. I recently taught the whole of Year 7 and 8 (on two consecutive days) at a local high school. There were 320 of them in each year group, loud, engaged, enthusiastic and full of life. I love teenagers. They are my favourite age group in the whole world. In groups, they can be quite alarming, but they are all capable of so much, so full of potential, so fascinating. Great blog Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've given me somewhere new to explore in Plymouth Veronica! Age 11 to 12 is such a difficult age for them I think and so much to adjust to going up to secondary school - more responsibility, new friends and routine, being a small fish in a big pond. No wonder they want to run off steam and be a kid again. I quite fancy riding a bike around a store myself!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment