Done? by Kathleen McAnear Smith

 

Luke 10:1 …two by two, into every town and place where He Himself was about to go. (ESV) 

The Message…and ask the God of the Harvest to send helping hands.

According to the mental health training I received last month, isolation is the basis/cause of so many issues in our lives. When Caroline (not her name) came to the little mental health team on which I serve, between the two of us we realised she did very little with anyone else. Yes, there were other issues, but on the whole this model seemed to fit.

I began to consider what I do on my own and what I do with at least one other person. Almost all activities that I want to do but never actually get around to doing is something I try to do on my own.

My newsletter? Ha! I’ve been talking about writing one for at least a year.

Exercise? I’ve walked a couple of YouTube “virtual walks” around Florence and Venice and somewhere in France. Not sure this was a walk. The words more appropriate might be “saunter while snacking.”

Diet? Hmmm.

So, as we start this academic year, I am doing a little resolution; the kind most people do in January.  I’m calling it the “Two or More Rule of Life.”

I belong to an organisation for people who live overseas. England is overseas for me, so when I saw “Shut Up And Work” advertised in a time zone near me, I hopped on the zoom session. Newsletter?

Done.

Exercise? Found one person in my church who is going with me to check out affordable gyms near us. I have been a classic join in January quit in February type of enthusiast. Let’s see how it goes this time.

Diet? Well, wasn’t God was so gracious to lead me to a “Weight Watchers Failure Group”? Qualifications: failed WW or some other slimming approach at least three times. Nothing to do with the quality of WW programme, just how I cheat and dread walking into such a group alone. So far I’ve lost a half stone and have daily personal contact with my mentor (I think WW offer this plan now) who encourages me to “drop the D word,” and call what we do a “meal plan.” And I am not alone at my hour of need: whenever I cook dinner. 

So may I encourage you to find a writing partner? Not all of us belong to small writing groups in ACW, but we can always find a 1:1 writing friend. I would love to work with someone who loves the tech side of writing, and I’m so grateful for an amazing new friend who helps me with posting blogposts. 


Kathleen McAnear Smith has written three books and loves writing blogposts. Finally, her website is up and even has a page for signing up to receive her 400-word blogposts for global grandmas. Someone signed up who just misses her grandmother. 

 

Comments

  1. Loely post Kathleen! I tell you I am in the same boat as you! Exercise, diet, newsletter, etc are these DONE to my satisfaction? No! It's a good advice to have a friend or buddy to encourge one on these things, not only writing, because it promotes mental health. May God continue to perfect all that concerns each of us to His glory. Amen. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on this. No newsletter, have failed at all the diets and don't exercise enough. Unless you count the little grey cells

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment