Please Leave the Building Immediately

Weekends away. Before I became a writer, these were the kind of things I could only dream of. When we moved up to Suffolk in 2006, I had a toddler and a baby and every day was a non-stop round of crying, tantrums, refusal to eat a particular foodstuff and reluctance to go to bed. The children had their moments too. 

As they grew, so did our catering business, necessitating our absence most weekends to go and cook for other people. We added in another child in 2008 just to make sure that life would never be dull. Most Saturday nights, we would be in someone’s house or at a party venue surrounded by happy, smiling folk enjoying their weekends away and that was lovely, of course. But from time to time, I would wonder if I would ever be the kind of person who packed a small suitcase and a good book and made my way to a conference centre somewhere in, oh I don’t know, the East Midlands. 


Dear readers, I am now that person! Yes! My dream has come true. My blog today, by the miracle of scheduling, comes to you from room 313 at the Hayes in Swanwick, a fine Christian conference centre with everything a person could reasonably need for a great weekend away. It’s Saturday morning, I am sipping a nice cup of tea and sitting in my pjs in my room composing a number of words for your entertainment and delectation. 

It's quite a long way from Suffolk to Derbyshire and I was delighted that Lucy Robinson and Natasha Woodcraft were joining me. I found Lucy quite easily, but our journey to St Neots’ to pick our next passenger up (“Car for Woodcraft?”) was fraught with difficulty. The satnav didn’t recognise the new road recently carved through some former fields and we went round in circles for a while. Confused by a perfectly valid postcode, the car’s internal workings sent us off down various roads which weren’t hers, culminating in a triumphant arrival at somewhere called Bloomfield Close. She doesn’t live there. 




Anyway, we got here with half an hour to spare and Friday evening was just wonderful. Meeting so many people I’ve only ever messaged or Zoomed with was a joy. Catching up with others who I have met at other ACW events equally so. Exhausted, I collapsed into bed with Adrian Plass at 10.30 and drifted into a deep sleep. Just before I did, I read a message from top chum and fellow delegate Deborah Jenkins. “Ruth, if there’s a fire, please come and get me! I always worry I won’t hear the alarm.” 

At midnight, I was jerked into wakefulness by flashing lights, a siren and a loud mechanised voice ordering me to leave the building AT ONCE and helpfully explaining that the cacophony was a fire alarm. Stumbling around in the dark, I donned my terrible old sandals, thanked the Lord I had packed my good M&S pjs, seized my phone and walked against the tide of recently awoken Christian writers towards Deborah’s room. There were no leaping flames that I could see, but I’m a woman of my word. 

Picture the scene. A car park in Derbyshire at midnight full of bewildered writers of faith in an assortment of pyjamas, nighties, dressing gowns and slippers. There were lots of checks and stripes. Nikki Salt was sporting a desperately trendy pair of shoes. As I often say, life is copy, and even as the lights flashed and the wind whistled around my chilly little ankles, I thought to myself “Ruth, this blog is going to write itself.” 

Did I get back to sleep? Yes I did. Did I wake every hour, on the hour, to go to the loo? Yep. It’s important to stay hydrated, but what we could charitably call streams of living water were doing my night’s rest no good. 

Now I’m aware I’m running out of words and also it is nearly dinner time. So to round this off, let me share with you my top takeaways from what has been a fantastic weekend so far.


 

1.    Sophie Neville’s photography workshop – amazing. I learned more in fifteen minutes than I have in a lifetime. I loved the fact that she waved her hand airily at what she called her “turquoise corner.”

2.    Anne Booth’s absorbing talk.

3.    Really nice food that someone else cooked three times a day. No washing up. Thank you.

4.    A hilarious set from the incomparable Paul Kerensa on Friday night. Thank heavens I didn’t wear eyeliner.

5.    Having my publisher Nicki Copeland and my agent Tony Collins in the same room at the same time.

6.    Annmarie Miles’ social media workshop. She could have read me the ingredients of a Vesta Ready Meal and I would have been rapt.

7.    A revolving musical biscuit tin which plays the national anthem. Come on! Thank you to lovely Sarah Tummey for this unexpected and totally fantastic gift.

8.    Adrian and Bridget Plass.

9.    Matt McChlery, the Bill Withers of ACW

10. The Next Big Thing on Netflix. You’ve had the Queen’s Gambit, Bridgerton, now brace yourself for Jane’s Kidney. Further details to follow 



I wrote this blog and scheduled it on Saturday night. I thought I was all done. I wasn't. On Sunday morning, our speaker was Jonathan Bryan. I found his talk profoundly life-changing and I can't sign off without saying that it may have been one of the most important things I've ever heard. To find out more, you'll have to read my MTW blog next month.

God bless you all.

Ruth is married with three children, one husband, assorted poultry and a cat. She is the author of “The Diary of Isabella M Smugge”, “The Trials of Isabella M Smugge” and is currently writing “The Continued Times of Isabella M Smugge”. She writes for a number of small businesses and charities, reviews books for Reading Between the Lines and blogs at ruthleighwrites.co.uk. Ruth has abnormally narrow sinuses and a morbid fear of raw tomatoes, but has decided not to let this get in the way of a meaningful life. You can find her on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and TikTok at @ruthleighwrites and at her website, www.ruthleighwrites.co.uk.

Comments

  1. Brilliant blog Ruth! I am so sad to have missed the biscuit tin and kidney episodes... But I would gladly have missed standing outside the accommodation block at midnight. Funnily enough, I had a bit of a moment on that score: earlier on that Friday evening, I had just realized that my CPAP machine (which I use every night for sleep apnoea) had an alarm clock feature. I had already been using the machine for 4 years, but obviously I am a slow learner. To test out this alarm feature, just before going to bed that night (or so I thought), I set it for 5 minutes hence as a dry run and waited, all agog. At the precise millisecond the alarm was set to go off (I swear you couldn't make this up), a red light began to flash above my head, and a stertorian voice started ordering me to leave the building. "Blimey", I thought, in my befuddled state. "I won't be able to use that then!" As common sense kicked in and I grabbed shoes and a coat, my midnight brain was still wondering whether my CPAP and the fire alert system had a deal going. Thankfully, it seems not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read this in the car park at Aldi this morning, Sarah (oh, the glamour! I should say I was fully dressed at the time) and laughed so much that passers-by gave me that special look you reserve for the unhinged. Your comment is a blog in itself. And the timing! Spot on. Comment of the month. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. Your reply to Sarah's set me off as I read it in whilst waiting for my colleague in the travel lodge. He heard me before he saw me, guffawing at your reply 😆

      Delete
    3. Which in turn made me guffaw!

      Delete
  2. Yes. Lovely. Exhausting read (as if one was present) but lovely. Ruth, you know what's happened don't you? The miraculous time when Mum gets her second wind as the kids grow up, and career opportunities open up again - use those precious years... life is fun again, but with the experience of youth behind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I think reading my breathless gallop through three action-packed days was probably nearly as tiring as actually living it. Last night was my first full night's sleep in 4 nights (I'm not complaining). I have reached that point and I love it! What a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love everything about this post - you transported me there, which has made me feel better about not being there! It sounded like a fabulous weekend in every way. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very glad to hear that - vicarious attending of a conference without the sleep deprivation. It was a huge blessing to us all I think

      Delete
  5. Brilliant account Ruth. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sheila! It was quite a weekend, wasn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved reading this, Ruth. Gutted that I missed Sophie's workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Katherine. It really was! Sophie's workshop taught me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the funniest MTW blog post I've read. I was literally crying with laughter on the train, though it lead to an interesting conversation. I apologised to the passenger opposite me, so then she asked me what the blog post was about, and not only have I told her about ACW, but about your book too. Thanks for making me chuckle, Ruth 🤣 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Martin! That's some super slick marketing right there! Glad it made you laugh x

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Allison. That's the second occasion you and I have spent part of an evening in our nighties together

      Delete
  11. Amusing as ever, Ruth. My mind is boggling at the thought of you collapsing into bed with Adrian Plass. Good job there was a fire alarm to wake you out of your slumbers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I aim to please. He was still there when I got back, lying on his face with his pages open

      Delete
  12. Amen to your prayer! I meet Adrian Plass again! First with S.C Skillman and then you. I think your mentioning Jonathan Bryan after your 10 top take aways was to me like the water Lord Jesus turned to wine and served the guest when the main wine ran out!! Lovely post. I look forward to your next post! Thanks and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a beautiful way of putting it Sophia. And yes, that's exactly what it felt like.

      Delete
  13. Brilliant post, Ruth, I love living vicariously of course, so I'm so glad to read more about the fabulous weekend you all had!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab. U. Lous!! Such a great post, Ruth, and thank you for risking your life to rescue this deaf old woman from the flames. Very much appreciated!! ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not at all! When I listened to Fiona or Jane (sorry I can't remember which one of you it was) telling us about where to congregate in case of a fire, I didn't really believe it would happen. When we had our late night chat about the same thing, little did I know that I would soon be falling out of bed and galumphing along the corridor to save you. But you were already awake, which was a relief, and I didn't have to do a fireman's lift. Although, now I come to think about it, where were the firemen? Surely we could have gazed upon a few fit young chaps in uniform? It was not to be. Happy to rescue you from the flames any time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. And you are not old. Even clad in nightwear, you still radiated glamour, unlike me

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment