Oxenholme, here we come!

 


 

 

 I journeyed over the Easter break to visit my younger sister in Oxenholme in Cumbria.  I knew I needed rest. What would have happened to our Lord Jesus’s ministry if He had never taken time to rest or urged His followers to rest? This tells us we need to charge our ‘creative battery’ as needed. I love the holiday culture most people adopt in the UK and some other parts of the world. Before, I relocated to the UK in 2003, I never knew people just took off to other places away from their home as if they had lost their reasoning, for the sake of a ‘Holiday’! It had sounded quite bizarre and shocking to me. From my part of the world, many people  still consider going on holidays as crazy, ostentatious and a waste of good money. Now I know better!

 I realised that my body was not really in its greatest shape as I spent most holidays committing to baby-sitting, social media committments, looking after the family needs, doing house chores as well as my writing. This time around, I had to firmly lay reins on my dear heart which had wanted to fawn over my grands and I forcefully took myself on holiday. What a difference it has made! Just resting my eyes and tuning my senses to the country scenes around me was already refreshing. Going through the countryside and passing historical


towns like Preston restored a lot of lost energy from my creative battery.

 


 

My sister’s home is near the Lake District and there is the ocean about forty-five  minutes’ walk away from her home which I strolled to, as well as ,the little lake that has its tidal flow. The birds flying at ease, the greenery of the fields, the cattle and sheep on them reminded me of the Lord telling us who the real owner is!  ‘All the animals in the forest are mine and the cattle on thousands of hills. All the wild birds are mine and all living things in the field’ –Psalms 50:10 – 11. When I saw the beauty of the peaceful plains and how I felt, I got clearly why our Lord Jesus always sought for such places to be alone with His Father.

My creativity level rose as poetry and prose flowed out of my brain to my pen by His grace. I came back with a determined charge and force on my writing as Facebook and ACW can testify to Papa God’s glory! God indeed has a purpose for everything. It was great bonding with family, having a good needed rest and creating a good deal of poetry.  Have you been to Oxenholme or live there? Do you need to get away and charge your creative battery? I just did!!


Sophia Anyanwu is British Nigerian, lives in SE London and is a part time tutor, writer and poet. She is a multi-genre writer and poet but also writes Christian  fiction.  All of Sophia’s books are available from her website: www.olusolasophiaanyanwuauthor.com , Amazon or local bookshops.

 

 

Comments

  1. Sophia, you are such an inspiration and what you say is so true. It is so easy to just plod along in our daily lives, but how productive are we really? We can and will do so much more when we recharge our batteries. I am now looking at places where I can go for a break, and some fresh inspiration, then maybe I'll finish another book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Brandon. That's the spirit. You'll get back with the fire to write 3 books!

      Delete
  2. What you say about taking a break is so true Sophia. I love the Lake District, and the sea. I have nearly finished my latest book and in August I travel to Australia to see my daughter and sister. I 'm looking forward both to the reunion & the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Sheila. That's the idea.Killing 2 birds with one stone - holiday and reunion. Journry mercies and enjoy your time in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely - reminds me of our holidays visiting Yorkshire and attending the ACW writers' weekends at Scargill House! And my relatives in Durham, a beautiful city further North. Holidays are good. We need one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holidays are a blessing! You need one? Try Oxenholme in Cumbria!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never think I need a holiday until I have one! Great blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment