Preparation Stage by Kathleen Smith

 Preparation Stage of Writing

Isaiah  58:6b …loose the chains of injustice 

 

It seems there are quite a few online classes that will teach “how to prepare to write  a book.”  I’ve gone through a good number of these sites as a way of dragging my feet. Procrastination is a fine art, and I believe I have personally developed in this area during the plague. 

 

There is, however; a new school-term kind of wind in the air. I hear preparation calling me, and I set out my Preparation Steps below in the hope we can start a discussion regarding how we sharpen our writing tools to write what we write this autumn.

 

Step One: check my heart and my character

Every Christian writing class seems to say we need to prepare our heart. As I am switching genres at the moment, the going from fact to fiction seems to call for acknowledging that my heart needs a little Anglican prayer (not bad for a Baptist). Here goes:

 

Lord, cleanse the thoughts of my heart by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

 

That prayer immediately has me dealing with the fact that I would very much like to make my novel a murder mystery, though the person I would like to “murder” wouldn’t be much of a mystery to those who know me. In my prayer walks I know the Holy Spirit has inspired my heart to give voice to justice, but I shall need to develop my own character if my novel is to be more than self indulgence.

 

Step Two:  character development

 

As the general advice seems to suggest we make a list of main characters, I will make a list and the place post-it notes on the fridge, bathroom mirror and on my night stand for jotting down ideas of names and characteristics of each potential star of my novel, even lesser creatures. I might cut out photos from magazines of who should play these roles should my novel ever hit the stage or screen. I might decide if I like or do not like any of these characters and give them personalities accordingly. Back to the Anglican prayer. 

 

Step Three: Storyline 

 

I will write the storyline on one page, and then edit it to a paragraph and then whittle it down to a sentence. I will post this storyline where I work so that I either stick to the line, argue with the Holy Spirit about who is actually writing the story, or simply deviate and rip up the storyline.

 

As a Baptist, I am only allowed three points. If you are not a Baptist and do not understand this please do not complain in the comments, just Zoom a few Baptist sermons and you will soon know. I think most adventurous sermons are novels in the making so my novel will strive to only have three points.

 

Part of preparation must include considering the family or those with whom we live. A Rhythm of the Week that takes into account the needs of others, including the need that we NOT write at some point in the day is a wise consideration. 

 

Next month: Writing the First Chapter in Time for the ACW First Novel Contest

 

 


Kathleen has written three non-fiction books and is preparing to write her first novel. She is happily married and Is excited about another grandson arriving in early October. While ACW is her tribe, she enjoys being a small part of the Baptist Forum for Aid and Development and a participant in the Emerge Team at the Royal Surrey Hospital A&E.



Comments

  1. You started my day with a huge grin, Kathleen. The Baptist Three Point Sermon! And if alliterative, so much the better. I love the way you've written this within the framework of what "ought" to be done and added your own, wonderful personal thoughts. Arguing with the Holy Spirit! I can't wait to read this book. Good luck with your murder if you go ahead and do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very similar reaction here. Maybe Baptists stole the 3 Point Sermon from Methodists but dropped the alliteration?! And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who argues with the Holy Sprit.
      Keeping a succinct idea of the journey in mind always works for blog posts too. If only I did that every time.

      Delete
  2. My feeling? 'Don't waste time on the oughts'! I'm hoping this is a tongue in cheek piece... Except, please, not a murder mystery - or next thing you'll be writing about 'killing off' a character - reference the Holy Spirit first... there are other ways to excite readers to buy and keep reading... let's be subtle... (don't worry I always see the other side of everything...) Enjoy your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OLUSOLA SOPHIA ANYANWU19 September 2020 at 11:06

    Thoroughly enjoyed this. I totally agree that we do not write at certain times of the day if we do not want to see the ugly sides of some of the people we live with!
    Congratulations on switching genres. See it as switching gears on a car. Enjoy the roller coaster ride. I think you will have fun. Stay blessed. Would love to read your book when it is all cooked and ready!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this and will never forget the three steps now. Your own personal thoughts had me laughing out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also a Baptist who looks for a bit of Anglican ritual from time to time! Great post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a former Baptist, now a Mennonite worshipping in an Anglican church, I feel you have fallen down somewhat on your three points. They didn't all start with the same letter! (And preferably the letter 'P' - plosives are so memorable...). Apart from this, though I'm not a novelist, I loved your piece.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment