I am me, and you are you, and other profundities

I'm waiting for a plum and almond cake to cook. I've never cooked a plum and almond cake before. The only reason I am is that Lindsay Rumbold, whom some of you will know from ACW, posted a picture of a plum and almond cake she'd made: the first home baking since moving into her new home. It looked plump and luscious, sitting there on a cooling rack saying, 'Eat me, eat me now.' 

That's the cake saying that, not the cooling rack. Darn that sentence structure thing.  

Here's Lindsay's cake. 



That was three days ago but the idea of a plum and almond cake has niggled at my subconscious since then, a bit like an ear worm, only in my brain, not my ear, and it's a cake, not a worm.

I doubt Lindsay and I used the same recipe. I changed the recipe I found anyway, adding some vanilla essence as I had no almond essence, and beating the ingredients to perdition rather than gently folding them in. 

I mean, who has the time to fold? Don't people have box sets to watch? 

I doubt my cake will taste the same as Lindsay's. I won't get the chance to find out either, as she lives miles away from me in Bedfordshire and that's a long way to travel, even for someone who falls on cake in the same way people fall on long-lost relatives at airports. 

You are now asking, when is Fran going to stop wittering on about cake? And, reader, you wouldn't be the first to ask. 

Let's change the subject, then, and talk about writing. 

Lindsay writes spy stories. She used to be in my local ACW group, the West Midlands group, which is the best one in the country. It's worth re-locating to the West Midlands for, if you happen to be browsing Rightmove just now. 

I don't know how Lindsay writes spy stories. They often feature aircraft, too. If you asked me to do this, I would gape like a fish out of water, my eyes staring in terror, begging, 'Please put me back where I belong.'

Her background in aeronautical engineering no doubt helps, whereas although I have a background in Aeros, I suspect that's not the same thing. 

My background in Aeros, though, does qualify me to write about bathroom scales and my struggles with them, which, if you've read my latest book, you'll have seen me do. You will also know that in that book Bathroom Scales is an actual character who speaks. 

No, no, not weight-obsessed at all. 

I've heard Lindsay read from her spy stories and they are very good. She knows what she's doing and I'm sure soon we will hear that she is publishing a spy novel. But not once have her stories featured bathroom scales, let alone a character with that name. 

Lindsay is Lindsay, and Lindsay's cake, and Lindsay's spy novels, will have her unique stamp on them. No one else will make a cake exactly the same, or write a novel the way she does. 

I am me. My own life, experiences and personality give me a voice no one else has. 

You are you. Ditto the above. 

So, what matters is, keep writing (or baking). Write as authentically as you can, with the voice you have. Interestingly, it's often other people who identify your particular voice, not you, and this is perhaps how it should be. 

Right. My phone's alarm has just buzzed. Plum and almond cake, I fear you are not long for this world.  

And here it is. Quick. Take a look, before it all goes. 







Fran Hill is a writer and teacher living in Warwickshire. Her latest book came out in May and is a funny/poignant teacher memoir written in diary form. You can find out more about Fran and her work by going to her website at www.franhill.co.uk 


Comments

  1. Today is my youngest's first day at high school. It'll be fine, but I'm feeling a lot of emotions. Reading about your background in Aeros was just what I needed. Thank you. How was the cake? It looks yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a significant day for you both! May it go smoothly. The cake was delicious - one of my more successful bakes. Much better than my Victoria sponges which always emerge one nano-millimetre higher than when they went in.

      Delete
    2. So far, so good. I took Deborah's advice and went for 10 10 10 cake mix and my Vic sponges are now much more lofty affairs

      Delete
    3. 10 10 10? That's nearly double what I use. No wonder mine come out like biscuits. How many eggs?

      Delete
    4. 4 eggs. I used to do 8oz of sugar, butter and flour and it worked pretty well, but then suddenly didn't. Now it's 10oz of everything, plus the eggs and some baking powder and it's risen much better.

      Delete
    5. Hey, that was MY advice 🤣🤣

      Delete
    6. Ha ha - 'Fight! Fight! Fight!'

      Delete
    7. A flat, heavy Victoria sponge fight? Ouch! Georgie, apologies. It was you who gave the advice. Now it's out there!

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious. Oh sorry it's Lindsay's cake not yours. I'm sure yours looked good too Fran..... yes Lindsay's subject matter is unusual because I haven't heard of any other novels with an aeronautics theme. And she has shown such persistence and staying power with it. Lindsay if you are reading this I do hope you pitch it to an agent on #PitMad today on twitter (if you've finished it of course!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay's cake at the top of the post - mine at the bottom! Yes, Lindsay, pitch that book!

      Delete
  3. The cake looks amazing. Thank you for your wonderful 'comparison is the thief of joy' post but written with much more interest and humour. My favourite part is the idea of you falling on cake the way people fall on long lost relatives. Such a great mental image ther!. Thanks for starting off my day so well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah. Glad to kick your day off with a smile. xx

      Delete
  4. I was very fortunate to have sampled Fran's plum and almond cake and I can honestly confirm it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you, much amused! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made my laugh out loud and is also really great advice! ❤️ Apparently I can suddenly comment on the blog when I’ve never been able to before! The wonder!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment