Space for us all By Claire Musters

Authors Katia Adams, Will van der Hart and Andy Croft.

Do you ever feel a little overwhelmed by how many people there are out there writing similar books/poems/devotionals/articles/blogs to you?

I have struggled with this from time to time, and, if I’m honest, particularly when I see social media posts that seem to reveal that they are more successful than I am. 

And yet I had a reminder just last week that we should celebrate one another rather than be intimidated. 

I was at a publisher’s showcase event and, during each of the authors’ talks and again during the Q&A session, the subject of authenticity, particularly being real with each other as Christians, cropped up again and again. 

While I am an introvert and so would never have dreamt of actually doing this, in my head there were countless moments when I wanted to jump up and say: ‘That’s my biggest passion. And that’s what my book is about!’ But then, within the ongoing conversation going on in my mind, I chastised myself, reminding my good self that, while that may be true, I was at a different publisher’s showcase, celebrating new books by authors other than me. 

Some of what individual authors spoke about really struck me too, particularly one who mentioned the importance of rediscovering the spiritual disciplines so many evangelical circles discarded years before. This is a journey I am most definitely on, and it is a hugely enriching one.

That same author went on to say that his new book has a chapter on lament, and his church is learning how vital it is to engage with it. Again, another part of my own spiritual journey…

Back to that conversation in my head: I was now thinking, ‘Those are things that I’m currently discovering, and my publisher has said they are happy for me to write on, but now this author seems to have got there first.’

Then a much quieter voice gently spoke, to point out that I should be celebrating the fact that God is talking to others about things that are on my heart too. That certainly quietened my fears and made me quite joyful.

I realised that, depending on how I viewed the situation, I could either be anxious that my ideas are already out there or see it as confirmation that I am being stirred by God and these are subjects he wants his church looking at.

Ultimately, I came away from that event encouraged, and determined to allow myself to celebrate others’ successes. The very next morning, I read this tweet from author/speaker Lysa Terkeurst, which seemed to sum things up well:

@LysaTerKeurstWhen you see someone else succeeding & you wonder why things aren’t happening faster for you, remember ... her success doesn’t threaten yours. Let’s see the world as a place of abundance, not scarcity, & authentically appreciate the many assignments available to each of us.

  
Claire is a freelance writer, speaker and editor, mum to two gorgeous children, pastor’s wife and worship leader. Her books include Taking off the mask: daring to be the person God created you to be, Cover to Cover: Ezekiel A prophet for all times, Cover to Cover: 1–3 John Walking in the truth, Cover to Cover: David: A man after God's own heart, Insight Into Managing Conflict, Insight Into Self-acceptance, Insight Into Burnout andAn Insight Into Shame. She is currently writing a book on marriage with her husband. Claire also writes Bible study notes and magazine articles. To find out more about her, please visit www.clairemusters.com  and @CMusters on Twitter. 

Comments

Post a Comment