The Fragility of Life by Wendy H. Jones


Despite the fact this is a writers blog I am going to be talking about death, and life, in today's blog. Why cover such a topic in a writer's blog you may ask? 

Recently I have heard about the deaths of several people who were ages with, or younger than, me. Now I know many may consider me old, but I am 55. These people died suddenly and with very little warning. It has got me thinking about how fragile life is. We don't know what is around the corner or when we will go to meet our Heavenly Father. 

As writers we are passionate, and pour our heart and soul into our work. We spend a lot of time making sure that the stories we write are as good as they can be and that they will be loved by readers. We spend time marketing and promoting our books, giving talks and meeting readers. I am not saying this is a bad thing. We carefully carve out writing time and protect it with our lives. Most writers wouldn't change what they do for any job in the world. 

Today I am encouraging you to have the same passion about your life and your free time. I have deliberately changed to using you, here, as I want everyone reading this blog to take heed. Life is fragile, lead it to the full. Spend time with family and friends in real life as well as virtually. Step outside and look at the beautiful weather we are having. Go for a meal, drink a glass of wine, talk to people and get to know them better. Do whatever it is that you enjoy doing be it a bike ride, travelling, visiting crumbling ruins, learning a new hobby or catching up with friends. Whatever it is that you, as a person not a writer, enjoy doing. 

The Poppy in the picture is because some of the people who have died I served with in both the Royal Navy and The Army. It is a sign of hope and remembrance. 

I will bid you goodbye here. I am not going to finish with my author bio, or any share links for my books. Most people reading this will know me and can buy them if they want to. If you like reading and don't know me buy a book by any author you love and spend time in the sunshine reading. Do it for yourself. I am More Than a Writer and I know my Heavenly Father. I know he is there with me every step of the way.

Comments

  1. Very thoughtful wisdom. I have just tweeted it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice Wendy. We are More Than Writers. I think this fit in with Sue post from yesterday about resting in the Lord. We need to remember we are whole people not just one thing, e.g. work or writers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen. This struck me in my thirties when one of the mothers of my 6 year old daughter's class died of cancer. And I've been reminded of life's fragility ever since, every few years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, Wendy. I have also known a number of people, who have been taken before their three score years and ten. Looking back the believers all seem to have done everything God required of them. Carpe diem! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I am going to a funeral in an hour's time, so I will be reflecting on these special words. Eve

    ReplyDelete
  6. A reminder that stopping to smell the roses and watch the clouds turning pink in the evening are moments well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely. Life's for living right now - we so often forget as we trundle through our lives thinking that we'll be happy when... good advice, Wendy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Wendy with some wise words about life and living. Sometimes we writers spend so much time in our own worlds that we forget to squeeze the juice out of the one we've been given. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, wise to spend time away from the desk. Today is apparently a special day for remembering the whole of God's creation. Life is not for working on a hamster wheel, writers included, and family and friends are very important, as is time with your partner (if you have one) and with God (with or without partner - how many of us share spiritual time with the person closest to us?) Our church is making us all study our use of time this month ... which means, time for God and our church community, time for others, etc ... not adding more stuff to do, but looking at the balance of our lives ... thanks for raising this, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this Wendy - lovely post. I am now going into my garden to just appreciate it (weeds included!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment